Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:25 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
First of all those aren't pants...I'm not sure what they are but nobody should leave their home wearing something like that. 95% of all people look better the more covered up they are. I feel sorry for the daughter who was probably upset that her mother was behaving in such a manner. She is claiming that her daughter was starving but nobody was stopping her from buying the girl some food! When we encounter surly airline staff we should all be considerate because you never know if they've had to deal with horrible people like her.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:31 pm

I’m also pretty sure those are not pants, and that she also had to shave more than her legs to wear them.

Granted, I was lightly amused for a few minutes with the swearing in a Jamaican accent, but that was about the extent of it.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Talking

Originally Posted by CDKing
Claim on facebook from her "friend" is that she is suspended from logging into facebook and is on a bus now to NY instead.
I feel sorry for the other people on that bus!

Also being reported that AA has fired both the person who gave her the buddy pass, and the agent in Jamaica that let her on that plane.
wrp96 and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Well after viewing the first video after I got home from work and later discovering she had to take a bus to NYC, it will be interesting as to how she plans to get back to Jamaica? And I do not mean Jamaica,New York!
She sure can't get a bus to that island and after this escapade her relative will not be able to get her a buddy pass no matter how much better she chooses to dress or puts duct tape on her filthy potty mouth.
Maybe she will have to stay in the US and live in Jamaica even if it is New York. So sad for us if she does.
Not really sure I want to know how this turns out.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Well after viewing the first video after I got home from work and later discovering she had to take a bus to NYC, it will be interesting as to how she plans to get back to Jamaica? And I do not mean Jamaica,New York!
She sure can't get a bus to that island and after this escapade her relative will not be able to get her a buddy pass no matter how much better she chooses to dress or puts duct tape on her filthy potty mouth.
Maybe she will have to stay in the US and live in Jamaica even if it is New York. So sad for us if she does.
Not really sure I want to know how this turns out.
She lives in New York, at least that’s how I read it. Her facebook page says she lives in Brooklyn. She wants to live in Jamaica because she hates the US so much. I think this was the return flight.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
She needs to take a one way flight to Riyadh and stay there.
cruisr, Marschel and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I feel sorry for the other people on that bus!

Also being reported that AA has fired both the person who gave her the buddy pass, and the agent in Jamaica that let her on that plane.
Although I "kind of" feel bad about individuals losing their jobs, in this case, I am happy. It is the responsibility of the employee to tell anyone traveling on their benefits the rules/regulations regarding the passes, including how they are supposed to compose themselves and dress. As far as the agent in Jamaica, this woman should've never boarded the first flight in the first place. After seeing the videos of the gate agents/managers in MIA encountering her all I can say is well done AA.
cruisr and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Reported where, exactly? All I've seen on that subject is a "rumor" in the comments of one blog that the employee and gate agent no longer work for AA, but I'd hardly take that as fact. Do you have a more reliable source?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Sugar, did it ever cross your mind that your "emaciated" daughter was crying because you kept prancing around the gate area, cussing like a drunken sailor, making an incredible spectacle of yourself?
cruisr and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Finkface
She lives in New York, at least that’s how I read it. Her facebook page says she lives in Brooklyn. She wants to live in Jamaica because she hates the US so much. I think this was the return flight.
It is interesting to see the comments of her friends/followers on facebook with regards to this incident. Very unreal. A few commented that she should just put some leggings and drop the whole thing but she responded not, that is not going to happen. Unreal.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tom911
Reported where, exactly? All I've seen on that subject is a "rumor" in the comments of one blog that the employee and gate agent no longer work for AA, but I'd hardly take that as fact. Do you have a more reliable source?
Just relaying what I was told by a friend in the business.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by arollins
It is interesting to see the comments of her friends/followers on facebook with regards to this incident. Very unreal. A few commented that she should just put some leggings and drop the whole thing but she responded not, that is not going to happen. Unreal.
If you don't watch all the videos in her Facebook posts and don't read the blogs, it's not very clear that she's non-reving. I think she might actually have thought she was on a paid ticket that was just discounted. So maybe that's why we saw sk many supportive comments.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Kudos to AA for denying this <passenger> boarding. Making a fool out of oneself on social media and expecting a payday is so blase... She’s lucky she didn’t get Dao’d after that histrionic display.

Perhaps she should fly Spirit next time - seems her dress code would be more acceptable on their metal.

Hate that her child has such a role model to emulate...

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 2018 at 2:07 pm Reason: Language cleanup
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I am in no way tolerating any sort of bad behaviour but if that is true then I think (absent other factors we are not aware of) that is a bit excessive.

Yes the AA buddy does hold some responsibility but where does that responsibility end especially if you are not flying with the buddy to calm them down / get them to behave? If you told your buddy several times what the rules are and the buddy then ignored them how is it the AA employees responsibility? Withdraw the privileges yes but firing no - unless this was part of a pattern of their buddies behaving badly or other breaches of AA rules.

The GA is slightly different but unless this wasn't the first time they had let an inappropriately dressed buddy on a flight then some words of warning and retraining on the rules would be sufficient punishment.

A friend of mine used to work for VS and one of his colleagues had their travel concession withdrawn when one of their buddy equivalents misbehaved on a flight. This was despite him trying to calm his friend down IIRC with VS your buddy has to be on the same flight if you are working it / cabin if you are a passenger as you. But the behaviour was against policy for any passenger (drink was involved and he as a bit loud but not otherwise abusive or violent)so the cabin manager had to report it.. Expensive lesson as they both then had to buy revenue tickets back home.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:27 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes the AA buddy does hold some responsibility but where does that responsibility end especially if you are not flying with the buddy to calm them down / get them to behave? If you told your buddy several times what the rules are and the buddy then ignored them how is it the AA employees responsibility? Withdraw the privileges yes but firing no - unless this was part of a pattern of their buddies behaving badly or other breaches of AA rules.

The GA is slightly different but unless this wasn't the first time they had let an inappropriately dressed buddy on a flight then some words of warning and retraining on the rules would be sufficient punishment.
Although I don't know the specifics of AA's buddy pass policy, it's hard for me to feel bad for the employee/friend who seems to have sold the pass to this traveler.

I agree this seems excessive for the GA in Jamaica, though. Surely AA isn't reacting just to the PR component of this situation because all of the comments I've seen so far are in support of the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.