Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)

Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, OneWorld Ruby
Originally Posted by cruisr

She won’t. if she cared at all how this would effect her cousin she wouldn’t have caused the s...t storm that she did.
I feel sorry for the poor kid. Wow, just wow.

i sent the link to two relatives one whom works at AA and the other at B6.
I heard from an employee that her cousin and the employee that boarded her in Jamaica have been dismissed from AA. What a shame.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Just relaying what I was told by a friend in the business.
If AA is that careless in releasing info about HR actions, hopefully they'll be sued back into bankruptcy where they belong.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Science Goy
If AA is that careless in releasing info about HR actions, hopefully they'll be sued back into bankruptcy where they belong.
I take it you’re not a fan of AA? No matter how much I may get angry at AA or any other company for that matter I never want them to go bankrupt and ruin tens of thousands of lives.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I am in no way tolerating any sort of bad behaviour but if that is true then I think (absent other factors we are not aware of) that is a bit excessive.

Yes the AA buddy does hold some responsibility but where does that responsibility end especially if you are not flying with the buddy to calm them down / get them to behave? If you told your buddy several times what the rules are and the buddy then ignored them how is it the AA employees responsibility? Withdraw the privileges yes but firing no - unless this was part of a pattern of their buddies behaving badly or other breaches of AA rules.

The GA is slightly different but unless this wasn't the first time they had let an inappropriately dressed buddy on a flight then some words of warning and retraining on the rules would be sufficient punishment.
Social media was involved.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
A friend of mine used to work for VS and one of his colleagues had their travel concession withdrawn when one of their buddy equivalents misbehaved on a flight. This was despite him trying to calm his friend down IIRC with VS your buddy has to be on the same flight if you are working it / cabin if you are a passenger as you. But the behaviour was against policy for any passenger (drink was involved and he as a bit loud but not otherwise abusive or violent)so the cabin manager had to report it.. Expensive lesson as they both then had to buy revenue tickets back home.
No social media.

Many companies are showing very little tolerance when the issue gets out in the public domain. And the airline's position is that if you cannot trust the person using the buddy pass to behave, don't let them use it as it could cost you your job. It's the employee's responsibility to manage that, no one else's.
Who says they were careless? It's not like the incident is a secret and other employees in Jamaica know who the GA was. Those other employees come to work and the guilty GA doesn't, it's pretty obvious what happened. Then they tell their friends, who tell their friends, etc. Same with the employee. They either said something to their coworkers or their coworkers know that it was their cousin. Suddenly the employee is no longer there and it's obvious what happened. And I'm sure managers at AA tell their employees that incidents like that won't be tolerated. It's not hard to connect the dots. Has nothing to do with AA being careless.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
HR is never going to make an official statement, info gets out other ways. I'm sure we may learn a lot more when the offenders facebook access is restored.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm sure we may learn a lot more when the offenders facebook access is restored.
I'm hate to admit it but I'm kinda looking forward to when that happens just to enjoy the excrement show that I'm quite sure will be provided once she gets unblocked and off the 3 day bus ride
wr_schwab and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
HR actions in Jamaica are not the same as in USA.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
This woman's behaviour and language are ridiculous but I honestly do believe there may have been some miscommunication between her and her cousin. A JFK-KIN guest pass is around $390 and the cheapest JFK-KIN tickets are around $425. It seems that she may have thought that she bought a regular ticket with some sort of friends and family discount instead of a space-available guest pass - nowhere in her rant does she seem to realize or acknowledge that she does not have a confirmed seat.

Not excusing the behavior but her cousin should share the blame for giving the guest pass to an obviously unstable person and not fully explaining to her what she was getting and the rules involved.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by dls25
This woman's behaviour and language are ridiculous but I honestly do believe there may have been some miscommunication between her and her cousin. A JFK-KIN guest pass is around $390 and the cheapest JFK-KIN tickets are around $425. It seems that she may have thought that she bought a regular ticket with some sort of friends and family discount instead of a space-available guest pass - nowhere in her rant does she seem to realize or acknowledge that she does not have a confirmed seat.

Not excusing the behavior but her cousin should share the blame for giving the guest pass to an obviously unstable person and not fully explaining to her what she was getting and the rules involved.

The non rev receives an email outlining all the rules/regulations for her ticket. It is very clear.
C17PSGR, TWA884 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
I wonder if her cousin tried to pull one over on her as well with having her pay for the price of a ticket she found on a travel site. Can AA employees sell their buddy passes? I thought it was all "gifted".
They aren’t gifted at all, they all have fares/fees associated with them. Also buddy passes can be as expensive as a confirmed ticket depending on the route.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Gotta say, well done by AA ground staff. She was tossing bait everywhere and no one bit. as a result, her video shows AA be behaving professionally and her looking like an unhinged crazy.

it is easy to get sucked into stuff and react. The lack of it means that her lawsuit will be summarily dismissed.
C17PSGR and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold

The non rev receives an email outlining all the rules/regulations for her ticket. It is very clear.
That is not exactly true. The guest pass rider CAN receive an email with the rules and regulations if the employee chooses to provide the guest's email address but it is not mandatory.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:23 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Confirmed- GA in Jamaica was fired!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dls25
That is not exactly true. The guest pass rider CAN receive an email with the rules and regulations if the employee chooses to provide the guest's email address but it is not mandatory.
The rules for passengers traveling on employee discount passes are contained in the union contract for cabin crew.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Given her near-nudity from the waist down, would she have been allowed to fly even if not on a buddy pass?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.