Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

paid J miles, first segment in Y, no priority?

Old Jul 19, 18, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances

Have a J ticket on miles. The first segment never became available so I'm in Y (won't even give me MCE since no status). Printed the boarding pass and I have no priority boarding or priority screening. Called AAgent who said I "should" be entitled to it but refused to put anything in the notes and to "sort it out at the airport." The rep doesn't even know if they can add it to the pass. I plan my travel time based on if I'm going to need 5 minutes or 45 minutes for screening and who knows what the airport desk will say.

The connecting flight boarding pass meanwhile says Group 1 and priority.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 19, 18, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The phone agent was wrong--if you don't hold status, you're only entitled to priority services on the flight(s) where you're sitting up front. You will most likely be able to use priority check-in at your origin airport, but it'll be a tossup over whether showing your second BP will get you into the priority security queue.
Old Jul 19, 18, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances
Next thing you'll tell me I dont get lounge access before my first segment.

So nice of AA to charge me for a full itinerary.
Old Jul 19, 18, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
Next thing you'll tell me I dont get lounge access before my first segment.

Lounge access will depend on what your itinerary is. You can definitely use priority check-in though even if your first segment is in Y.
Old Jul 19, 18, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But you accepted it, right?
Old Jul 19, 18, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post

But you accepted it, right?
I accepted a Y seat, not a question mark of ancillary services where a qualified AAgent has no idea what I'm entitled to.

Guess we will see what of the below I will get:
-priority screening
-priority boarding
-priority check in
-priority bag tag
-outbound lounge access
Old Jul 19, 18, 9:34 pm

If you're entitled to lounge access based on an international J flight, then access will be granted before a same-day connecting flight even if in Y.

It's worth a try at the airport to see if your downgrade can be reversed, since you paid the mileage price of an all-J ticket. See here for various reports.
GWFan and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I would not suggest that you cut it close assuming this will work, but I think there's a strong likelihood it will: When you get to the priority security line, show the onward BP - they don't inspect them closely IME and are unlikely to notice its for the second leg. Won't help with boarding etc but will at TSA. For check-in I'd think you could do priority, especially if the second leg is intl but might be wrong on that as I've never not had EXP on AA (UA convert), again I'd give it a go beg for forgiveness rather than permission.
Old Jul 19, 18, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead View Post
If you're entitled to lounge access based on an international J flight, then access will be granted before a same-day connecting flight even if in Y.

It's worth a try at the airport to see if your downgrade can be reversed, since you paid the mileage price of an all-J ticket. See here for various reports.
Yes, it's international J. I did try twice between ticketing and now (six months) to get a rep to open space and was denied both times. I didn't want to continuously HUCA and let it go. Domestic F is currently checked in full. My #1 "need" is the priority screening. I'll ask for a MCE empty which is fine if I can get it and I'll ask if I can be on the F list, never hurts to just ask.
Old Jul 19, 18, 10:22 pm

If you “need” priority screening, why are you not a member of either pre-check or global entry?
KBMIFlyer and GWFan like this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I accepted a Y seat, not a question mark of ancillary services where a qualified AAgent has no idea what I'm entitled to.

-priority screening
-priority boarding
-priority check in
-priority bag tag
-outbound lounge access
You accepted to travel in economy for the 1st sector. Of the listed items, you can use the business class check in , should get priority luggage hanfling and lounge access ( if there is a lounge )

Itmes such as priority screening and boarding are not due before the economy flight and you need to allow accordingly. Regardless , since you have bags to check in, you need to be at the airport early enough so as to have bags checked in by 45 minutes before departure regardless of class of servuce , so basing arrival time on length of time to get through screening would not be a good choice

As far as "charging for a full itinerary" - the award price for just the international sector would have been exactly the same as including the domestic sector , so could just as reasonably put it that the domestic sector was free
GWFan likes this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Has nothing to do with AA, it's standard practice. I'm currently looking at award travel BKK-GSO in premium cabins. I was shown several options. Due to short time and limited availability, some itineraries had BKK-NRT/ICN in J, the rest of the trip (including TPAC) in Y. Some had BKK-NRT in J, followed by NRT-ORD in F. One was BKK-CDG in F, then TATL in Y. They all cost the same number of miles.
Old Jul 20, 18, 12:07 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
My #1 "need" is the priority screening. I'll ask for a MCE empty which is fine if I can get it and I'll ask if I can be on the F list, never hurts to just ask.
Are you flying out of an airport that even has priority security? Many donít, PHL for an example I know best. Itís PreCheck or regular security most places, in my experience.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jul 20, 18, 12:24 am

Yes, it's international J. I did try twice between ticketing and now (six months) to get a rep to open space and was denied both times. I didn't want to continuously HUCA and let it go. Domestic F is currently checked in full. ... I'll ask for a MCE empty which is fine if I can get it and I'll ask if I can be on the F list, never hurts to just ask.
My understanding of the rules is that you should leap ahead of all the EXPs seeking complimentary upgrades on the upgrade list and I think above everyone seeking upgrades with SWUs or miles/copay, so youíll likely be pretty high on the upgrade list. The only people above you on the list would be those in your situation ó paid for first (with miles or cash) but confirmed (not standby) in coach ó with higher status. I would make sure that you are high on the upgrade list. Check with the check in agent and/or the agents in the Admirals Club (if your originating airport has one).
Old Jul 20, 18, 12:35 am

-priority screening
-priority boarding
-priority check in
-priority bag tag
-outbound lounge access
3, 4, and 5 you all get explicitly by the rules (along with no checked bag fee). 1, as I noted, is probably irrelevant since I donít think there are many airports with priority security anyway. For 2, you can probably show your connecting F boarding pass and board with group 4 or 5. Policy certainly doesnít allow that, but my personal ethics declare it reasonable.

You asked about an agent manually changing the group on your boarding pass. Is that even possible? I doubt it. Pretty sure the group is determined entirely by the computer based on fare class for that segment and status of the passenger. If youíre booked in T (economy award) with no status, the computer will give you group 6-8 or whatever it is and thereís nothing anyone can do about it short of rebooking you in a booking class that gives you a different group. If you really care, ask the gate agent if they mind if you board with group 5 if you donít clear into first. But why does it matter? Since youíre checking bags, presumably youíre not fighting for overhead bin space?

Of course, this situation (booked in coach to connect to long haul J) happens all the time for people starting on a one-class regional plane. Same rules apply then. One of the advantages of making domestic Main Cabin Extra a separate premium economy booking class rather than a paid seat assignment within coach is that it enables giving MCE to people in your situation. AA hasnít done that (a choice with significant other benefits for customers), which makes it so that you are not entitled to MCE in your situation, according to the rules. Of course, canít hurt to ask and hope for a sympathetic agent; I agree that by principle AA ought to put you in an available MCE seat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: