Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

paid J miles, first segment in Y, no priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

paid J miles, first segment in Y, no priority?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Plan for the 45 minutes, but don't feel too bad because with a same-day business class ticket, you can access the Admiral's Club at your first airport location. And honestly if you present your first BP to TSA and they question you being in a priority screening lane, show the second BP. Worst they can do is point you towards the general screening lane.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Gig103
Plan for the 45 minutes, but don't feel too bad because with a same-day business class ticket, you can access the Admiral's Club at your first airport location. And honestly if you present your first BP to TSA and they question you being in a priority screening lane, show the second BP. Worst they can do is point you towards the general screening lane.
TSA cares absolutely zero about priority lanes; it’s the airport or airline that controls which line you go into. It’s only PreCheck vs non-PreCheck that TSA cares about. But TSA very much cares that you have the boarding pass departing the airport you’re in; I’m pretty sure the scanner will reject the connecting boarding pass. However, if the airport has a priority line, the line minders (if there are any) will likely let you in with the connecting priority boarding pass.
Score8 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I'm surprised at how many people say priority security is almost non-existant. We have it in BUF and it basically cuts the entire (non precheck) line. That being said, I only use it when Precheck isn't open because there is almost never a wait in Buffalo.
reeg2 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:01 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At JFK T8, AA does not have many dep. between noon and 3 pm. At one time TSA shut pre-check as well as priority lanes, in that time frame, so EVERYONE queued for regular security = long lines. They don't do that now; but other airports might play that "game".
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

To answer questions.... Yes, origin airport has priority screening and is usually faster than pre-check. No, group 1 boarding is not a "must have" but it's nice to have overhead space guaranteed than play roulette. Flight is full for now, so I'm completely fine with my Y seat and to request an upgrade to F if available but obviously not counting on it. Yes, I know mixed itineraries are common on the domestic leg but I remember last time I flew one the origin boarding pass had priority stamped on it (whether I was on a status challenge, etc, to give me that I don't remember).
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
I'm trying to think of an airport that I've traveled through that DIDN'T have a priority line, if not Pre-Check.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by saaveraward
To answer questions.... Yes, origin airport has priority screening and is usually faster than pre-check. No, group 1 boarding is not a "must have" but it's nice to have overhead space guaranteed than play roulette. Flight is full for now, so I'm completely fine with my Y seat and to request an upgrade to F if available but obviously not counting on it. Yes, I know mixed itineraries are common on the domestic leg but I remember last time I flew one the origin boarding pass had priority stamped on it (whether I was on a status challenge, etc, to give me that I don't remember).
Tell the agent you are on a J (award) ticket. A good agent should be able to give you the right code (I think it is DSR something) for F. I don't know which list you show on, but you *should* be at the top of the list.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ashill
My understanding of the rules is that you should leap ahead of all the EXPs seeking complimentary upgrades on the upgrade list and I think above everyone seeking upgrades with SWUs or miles/copay, so you’ll likely be pretty high on the upgrade list. ... Check with the check in agent and/or the agents in the Admirals Club (if your originating airport has one).

My situation is similar except it's the 2nd leg of MXP-JFK-ORD for which there was no domestic U award space. But doesn't one HAVE TO ask an agent to put "DSR" ("Desires first") into one's record in order to be placed on the standby list with the right priority?

Has anyone had success doing this with a contracted lounge agent, abroad? Is it sufficient to ask any JFK agent to do this once I arrive there?

Or is "DSR" already in my record?

Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
My situation is similar except it's the 2nd leg of MXP-JFK-ORD for which there was no domestic U award space. But doesn't one HAVE TO ask an agent to put "DSR" ("Desires first") into one's record in order to be placed on the standby list with the right priority?

Has anyone had success doing this with a contracted lounge agent, abroad? Is it sufficient to ask any JFK agent to do this once I arrive there?

Or is "DSR" already in my record?

[/left]
DSR won't be in your record and you'll have to get a competent and willing AA agent (perhaps rarer than you'd think) to do it for you. Contract lounge agents abroad won't be able to do it for you; check-in agents abroad might be able to do it (though competence might be lacking since such a request is one they rarely, if ever, receive)--the key is having access to Sabre. For OP's purposes, check-in, gate, and/or lounge agents should be able to handle such a request.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME some of the legacy US agents don’t even know what DSR is. At JFK that should hopefully be less of an issue.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

So end result was.... no priority screening. Check in agent wouldn't add me me to upgrade list, lounge was more than happy to. Name does not show on the actual list but they sent something over in the system to the gate to process me first. So all in all, no complaints.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by saaveraward
So end result was.... no priority screening. Check in agent wouldn't add me me to upgrade list, lounge was more than happy to. Name does not show on the actual list but they sent something over in the system to the gate to process me first. So all in all, no complaints.
Yep, the part about not showing up on the list is expected performance. As a DSR you are technically on the standby list; you should show up on that list.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
Yep, the part about not showing up on the list is expected performance. As a DSR you are technically on the standby list; you should show up on that list.
sorry, to clarify, name doesn't show up in the app but I have a "receipt" that it's in the system.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
My situation is similar except it's the 2nd leg of MXP-JFK-ORD for which there was no domestic U award space. But doesn't one HAVE TO ask an agent to ...
I booked the Milesaaver Award , MXP-JFK-ORD, in Business (U-Class), with only coach availability on the domestic leg.

Today, for my domestic leg JFK-ORD, I see U-Class available on aa.com, and could book it if I proceeded through all steps of online booking. Also ExpertFlyer informs me that U-class is available on my flight.

I obviously can't change that domestic leg of the reservation myself, so I call AA and am told there is no U-Class available. I insist that I can book a Milesaaver award JFK-ORD for my flight on AA.com and that EF informs of the same. I HUCA. Same response.

Anyone have an idea what's going on?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like an issue of "married segment" availability -- there is U inventory on JFK-ORD, but there is not U inventory on that leg for MXP-JFK-ORD. I didn't think AA applied married segments to awards (DL does I believe as do some other airlines), although I haven't paid that close attention. Or maybe there was always a way around it.

I would ask the agent to separately look for a saver award on just JFK-ORD to see if they see the availability. Then it becomes an issue of whether the agent is able and willing to see what types of workarounds there might be to get your flight confirmed in U, such as calling the rate desk or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.