Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

paid J miles, first segment in Y, no priority?

paid J miles, first segment in Y, no priority?

Old Sep 28, 18, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
Have a J ticket on miles. The first segment never became available so I'm in Y (won't even give me MCE since no status). Printed the boarding pass and I have no priority boarding or priority screening. Called AAgent who said I "should" be entitled to it but refused to put anything in the notes and to "sort it out at the airport." The rep doesn't even know if they can add it to the pass. I plan my travel time based on if I'm going to need 5 minutes or 45 minutes for screening and who knows what the airport desk will say.

The connecting flight boarding pass meanwhile says Group 1 and priority.

Any thoughts?
If your award was in Y class, you would get priority boarding. That is, if you had booked an AAnytime award, you would get priority for the flight. You do not get it for a Milesaver, unless you have status.
Old Sep 28, 18, 11:37 am

Programs: LT SPG Plat; AA EXP; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
sorry, to clarify, name doesn't show up in the app but I have a "receipt" that it's in the system.
I've been #1 on the upgrade list a few times only to be told that I am actually #2 , with the unlisted person being a full fare or other F flyer.
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Just a heads up - even if your first connection is domestic, they enforce the 60 min international bag check rule if any part of your trip is international, so you should err on the side of caution and show up early. I'd be hard pressed to believe they would kick you out of the priory check-in, BUT these lines still can take a long time.
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:53 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
should the domestic sector even waitlist for domestic first?

i suppose some I fare international would also have no I space in domestic sector and booked into economy. should they also allowed to be upgrade when I class open up?

If U space opens up, then call and pay a change fee (if applicable) to change. otherwise, it seems that to waitlist someone no status in Y for J as displaced passengers is wrong because there could have many other displaced passengers even in revenue fare class
Old Sep 28, 18, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
It sounds like an issue of "married segment" availability -- there is U inventory on JFK-ORD, but there is not U inventory on that leg for MXP-JFK-ORD. I didn't think AA applied married segments to awards (DL does I believe as do some other airlines), although I haven't paid that close attention. Or maybe there was always a way around it.

I would ask the agent to separately look for a saver award on just JFK-ORD to see if they see the availability. Then it becomes an issue of whether the agent is able and willing to see what types of workarounds there might be to get your flight confirmed in U, such as calling the rate desk or something.
Ijgordon is correct, I've just found out unfortunately. "Married segment" availability does apply to awards. I remember a time a few years ago when it didn't.

Spent about an hour on the phone with a very good agent, who had me book the domestic leg in U-class, then put it on hold. She was able to grab it and do some magic to swap the held "dummy" reservation in U for the one I had in coach, T-class. I say that she did some "magic", because I think she made 2 or 3 calls to the rate desk to make it happen.

I don't know how she did it because the trip PNR remains the same, even though the entire itinerary was completely re-ticketed with a new ticket number.

Last edited by Alfonso XIV; Sep 28, 18 at 11:17 pm