Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by skunker
All US states and DC have a minimum age of 21, due to federal highway funding. A couple US territories are still 18.
The variables include if identification is required universally, what hours liquor may be available, what types of alcoholic beverages may be sold (e.g. maximum GL of Beer), where liquor can be purchased, etc. California has one of the less complicated laws, other states or even municipalities may be more complex.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
All US states and DC have a minimum age of 21, due to federal highway funding. A couple US territories are still 18.
Yup. I believe the highway funding was offered to each state by the federal government, but ONLY if they put state laws on the books raising the drinking age to 21. Apparently it worked!

There are a couple exceptions if a parent or guardian is present or on your own property.
Depends very much on the individual state. As I mentioned in my other post, there are also exceptions for religious ceremonies and medical purposes in some states.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yup. I believe the highway funding was offered to each state by the federal government, but ONLY if they put state laws on the books raising the drinking age to 21. Apparently it worked!

Depends very much on the individual state. As I mentioned in my other post, there are also exceptions for religious ceremonies and medical purposes in some states.
True. Can't forget 2 for 1 communion wine and Nyquil nights!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I wonder how it works overseas at Admirals Clubs where alcohol is self-service?
The same rules apply, as per the T&Cs linked above.

Other airlines' lounges outside the US may not care about the age of guests even where self-serve alcohol is available. For example, I quickly looked at JAL and ANA and they don't seem to have a minimum age requirement for their lounges.

Local laws overseas might make the drinking age 18, even though AA follows US state laws on board aircraft and restricts alcohol use to persons 21 and older, even on the ground overseas, when overflying other countries, and in international airspace.
There is no federal drinking age in the US, so the drinking age on board US-flag aircraft for interstate/international flights is purely up to the airline's policy. State law generally doesn't apply on board an aircraft unless you are (a) on the ground in that state or (b) (arguably) flying between two airports in that state.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I was in the Chicago Flagship lounge a few weeks ago and there appeared to be several high school age individuals there (presumably with a parent ...). It was my sense that they appeared to be communing near the champagne bar, perhaps with a prescription in hand, as the orange juice in the mimosa's may have had some health benefits!

OP -- how old are you? Curious how aggressive they are being in enforcing this rule?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by b.xiao
I'm a newly minted CX DM and just had a really upsetting experience with LAX Flagship L Access. I just got off LAX-MIA-DCA and it bugs me how the LAX lounge agent denied me access very rudely (said I am not 18/21+) and yelled at me for asking for a voucher in equivalent. I don't know if it is a standard rule to give out equivalents if denied entry due to age (CX did give me vouchers @ SFO since I cannot access BA Galleries due to age, and BA did give it to me @ JFK as well - maybe just kind gesture?), but if not, is it discrimination against minors (while I totally understand the legal implications, but no alternative offered, denied straight out)? Tell me what you think. (maybe I got lucky but in the past 10+ visits to FL dining and FL lounge JFK/LAX and AC @ DCA/BOS I had no problem w/ this)
The Flagship Lounge has self pour wine as well as a Bar. I have been to various lounges including the LAX OW Lounge and other Flagship lounges as well as the Air France lounge even in the USA with self pour liquor and they must enforce the 21 and over. While you may be able to drink in other countries the United States is strictly enforced by the Alcohol Beveage Control and they could revoke the license if an underage minor was caught drinking .

Also lounges do not have to give you a tit for tat so rightfully so you were denied and I am sure you know the age limits when you go online it will say only guests 21 and over may be allowed entrance unless accompanied by an adult 21 and above.

Furthermore I believe its the cardholder that must be 21 and above and I believe that your guest who is 21 and above cannot enter unless you were sponsored by someone 21 and above and they agreed to take responsibility for you.

Just because one lounge allows you access somewhere else in another country does not mean you will get the same here in the USA. I am sorry you were yelled at that is no way to speak to anyone but they were following the rules.

If a lounge has a 100 percent manned bar with no self-pour liquor then I believe you could enter at 18( just like at a restaurant with a bar where 21 and over are allowed to sit in the bar but others must sit in the main dining room like Applebees).

But if its a mixture of self-pour wine and bar service then the primary cardholer must be 21 or above. Hint: Self poured spirits, wines and beers dictate 18 vs 21 for the most part.

I enjoy making my own drinks and have done so at the Air France SFO lounge and the Delta Terminal 2 Lounge which offers a self-pour station.

I hope this helps. Other FlyerTlakers I am sure will weigh in on this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
The same rules apply, as per the T&Cs linked above.

Other airlines' lounges outside the US may not care about the age of guests even where self-serve alcohol is available. For example, I quickly looked at JAL and ANA and they don't seem to have a minimum age requirement for their lounges.

There is no federal drinking age in the US, so the drinking age on board US-flag aircraft for interstate/international flights is purely up to the airline's policy. State law generally doesn't apply on board an aircraft unless you are (a) on the ground in that state or (b) (arguably) flying between two airports in that state.
But wouldn't the age on the ground dictate the law for the state. For instance no PDB beverages cannot be served during certain hours in New Mexico due to the Blue Liquor Laws. So in theory if you are 18 flying Air France in First Class technically you cannot be served a PDB while on the ground at SFO but one could be served while on the ground at CDG but once in the air the Flagship registry takes over. I hope I am right about this but if not perhaps someone else can elaborate.

Interestingly enough Royal Caribbean cruises go by the departure port for the entire cruise so 21 from the US but with a waiver 18 if departing from Europe.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I was in the Chicago Flagship lounge a few weeks ago and there appeared to be several high school age individuals there (presumably with a parent ...). It was my sense that they appeared to be communing near the champagne bar, perhaps with a prescription in hand, as the orange juice in the mimosa's may have had some health benefits!

OP -- how old are you? Curious how aggressive they are being in enforcing this rule?
I
I am 16... and well I seem to have been lucky for my past few visits to FL dining & lounge/ AC club but this time they were just very strict (and rude) about it. Wonder if the policy has been tightened recently.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielonn
The Flagship Lounge has self pour wine as well as a Bar. I have been to various lounges including the LAX OW Lounge and other Flagship lounges as well as the Air France lounge even in the USA with self pour liquor and they must enforce the 21 and over. While you may be able to drink in other countries the United States is strictly enforced by the Alcohol Beveage Control and they could revoke the license if an underage minor was caught drinking .

Also lounges do not have to give you a tit for tat so rightfully so you were denied and I am sure you know the age limits when you go online it will say only guests 21 and over may be allowed entrance unless accompanied by an adult 21 and above.

Furthermore I believe its the cardholder that must be 21 and above and I believe that your guest who is 21 and above cannot enter unless you were sponsored by someone 21 and above and they agreed to take responsibility for you.

Just because one lounge allows you access somewhere else in another country does not mean you will get the same here in the USA. I am sorry you were yelled at that is no way to speak to anyone but they were following the rules.

If a lounge has a 100 percent manned bar with no self-pour liquor then I believe you could enter at 18( just like at a restaurant with a bar where 21 and over are allowed to sit in the bar but others must sit in the main dining room like Applebees).

But if its a mixture of self-pour wine and bar service then the primary cardholer must be 21 or above. Hint: Self poured spirits, wines and beers dictate 18 vs 21 for the most part.

I enjoy making my own drinks and have done so at the Air France SFO lounge and the Delta Terminal 2 Lounge which offers a self-pour station.

I hope this helps. Other FlyerTlakers I am sure will weigh in on this.
Thanks for the clarifications - I seriously did not know the policy before this time as I had no trouble entering any US lounges before (except BA Galleries/F that I know of). I suppose they tightened up the restriction recently. But if AA is nice (wrong assumption there), they would give a voucher in exchange of denied access despite being eligible.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi all - thanks for the info. While I totally understand the reason for not being able to access the lounge and don't doubt it, my question is mainly focused on whether they should offer something in equivalent for underage elite status to acknowledge the status & OW loyalty (or maybe this is never an AA thing and I am just too used to treatment on International carriers)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to go off topic, but I wonder how it works for foreign carriers operating on US soil. For ex, BA flying JFK-LHR. While on the ground at JFK, they would need to follow NY state law (21+). Once in the air, would UK laws apply, since BA is a UK flagged carrier. What about at the Galleries lounges and Concorde Room at JFK, which are fully operated by BA, as is the entire terminal where they are located?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I
I am 16... and well I seem to have been lucky for my past few visits to FL dining & lounge/ AC club but this time they were just very strict (and rude) about it. Wonder if the policy has been tightened recently.
There is never an excuse for rudeness, assuming you were being polite and courteous. However, you can make a little effort to “look the part” and “dress for success.” As someone who traveled alone frequently before turning 18, I found that if I wore a collared shirt, khakis, and real shoes (not sneakers), I was treated the same as older elites/premium pax by agents, FAs, and others. Of course, the most important thing is to be polite and courteous, but not dressing like a kid helped too, I believe. Just my perception. On some routes, like Europe and Asia, I even wore a blazer before I grew up and started looking older. Dress standards for travel were a little more conservative in those regions at that time anyway.

To the OP: you could try an experiment. Next time, try dressing up a little. Try “business casual.” See if they call you “Mr....” or “Ms. ....” instead of your first name or “sweetie,” as the front desk ladies used to call me on occasion in the South.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Not to go off topic, but I wonder how it works for foreign carriers operating on US soil. For ex, BA flying JFK-LHR. While on the ground at JFK, they would need to follow NY state law (21+). Once in the air, would UK laws apply, since BA is a UK flagged carrier. What about at the Galleries lounges and Concorde Room at JFK, which are fully operated by BA, as is the entire terminal where they are located?
I think since the lounges are on the ground they still need to follow NY law

There is never an excuse for rudeness, assuming you were being polite and courteous. However, you can make a little effort to “look the part” and “dress for success.” As someone who traveled alone frequently before turning 18, I found that if I wore a collared shirt, khakis, and real shoes (not sneakers), I was treated the same as older elites/premium pax by agents, FAs, and others. Of course, the most important thing is to be polite and courteous, but not dressing like a kid helped too, I believe. Just my perception. On some routes, like Europe and Asia, I even wore a blazer before I grew up and started looking older. Dress standards for travel were a little more conservative in those regions at that time anyway.

To the OP: you could try an experiment. Next time, try dressing up a little. Try “business casual.” See if they call you “Mr....” or “Ms. ....” instead of your first name or “sweetie,” as the front desk ladies used to call me on occasion in the South.
Haha! That might be the thing. Last night I did dress casually since it is AA overnight domestic Y (regular T shirt & shorts). While previously on SQ/CX F and AA transcon F (where I was granted access FL Dining/Lounge without any question) where I dressed a little formal, the FAs even offered me champagnes/wines w/o asking me for age. Guess that does help

I have several upcoming travel plans and will do some experiments next tuesday @ AC and early August @ JFK FL/FD. Last time in Suites during random chat the FAs were so surprised when I told them I was 16. They thought I was 22. Guess dressing slightly formal does help a lot. haha
JDiver and deeruck like this.

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 20, 2018 at 10:05 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have several upcoming travel plans and will do some experiments next tuesday @ AC and early August @ JFK FL/FD. Last time in Suites during random chat the FAs were so surprised when I told them I was 16. They thought I was 22. Guess dressing slightly formal does help a lot. haha

I should clarify that I am NOT advocating that you attempt to violate AA lounge eligibility policies, which exist for good reason. You will need to wait until you turn 18 or 21 to access lounges by yourself. But on board aircraft in premium cabins...by all means—see if they think you are older if you dress up!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Hi all - thanks for the info. While I totally understand the reason for not being able to access the lounge and don't doubt it, my question is mainly focused on whether they should offer something in equivalent for underage elite status to acknowledge the status & OW loyalty (or maybe this is never an AA thing and I am just too used to treatment on International carriers)
To answer your question, no, since you are not eligible for entry, there is no reason to compensate you for denial of something you are not entitled to. I also would not be happy but they can make the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.