Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by zeer0
Great advice by C17PSGR!
[...]
A 16 year old earned status, they deserve either the promised benefits of it, or an equivalent alternative. A standard $30-50 voucher for age denial should be in place. It's not even going to cost the airlines much, how many underage elites are there...
[...]
There is no promised benefit for those under eighteen years of age...

And $30 to $50 voucher??? LOL First off, that valuation seems excessively high. The quality of "meals" is decent, but it 'aint $50 worth of anything, especially when you remove booze from that calculation. Second, opening up the voucher system to incidents where promised service wasn't delivered by AA, yikes, I've got a couple of hundred dollars worth of vouchers coming my way from missed PDBs, mints, hot towels, warmed nuts, cookies, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:30 pm

Great advice by C17PSGR!

Nobody wants to waste time roaming around LAX, trying to find a power port in a loud, crowded airport. This isn't 1968, it's 2018. If you're asking the passenger to find someone to play cards with... Well take the incentive and be the one to entertain OP. I find the piece condescending to younger travellers who understand exactly how the "system" works.

A 16 year old earned status, they deserve either the promised benefits of it, or an equivalent alternative. A standard $30-50 voucher for age denial should be in place. It's not even going to cost the airlines much, how many underage elites are there...

And as others pointed out, alcohol flows freely in J/F. Haven't seen the airlines limit those cabins by age. And if you're arguing that it's not self pour, the non self pour lounges are still 18+.

I'm 18. I've been in OP's position before, and it sucks! We are willing to work with the airlines to come to an amicable agreement. The voucher system is it.

We don't need condescending "advice" telling us we are lesser elites. We're not. In fact, the reason(s) behind why younger frequent flyers are in the air often isn't as wonderful as it seems... Give us a break, thank you.
OP got denied entrance to a lounge in an airport, not the Pearly Gates.

Calm down.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Talking

...I'm 18. I've been in OP's position before, and it sucks! We are willing to work with the airlines to come to an amicable agreement...
This might have to be amended to my tweet
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
This is a section of CX Marco Polo Club Terms and Conditions, which a gold member and a diamond member above, both agreed to:

17. Lounge access age restrictions
a. If the passenger is a minor and travelling alone, admission to the lounge and alcohol consumption follow local laws and the policy of the lounge operator. Proof of age may be required to access lounge.

Application of Jurisdiction:
These terms and conditions and the relationship between CPA and each Member are governed by Hong Kong law. By using The Club each Member submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Hong Kong courts.

Source:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-terms.html

Hong Kong Law (1990) defines age of majority as 18.

Source:
https://www.elegislation.gov.hk/hk/cap410!en?xpid=ID_1438403168155_001&INDEX_CS=N
Statman, TWA884 and CHOPCHOP767 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
<snip>

A 16 year old earned status, they deserve either the promised benefits of it, or an equivalent alternative. A standard $30-50 voucher for age denial should be in place. It's not even going to cost the airlines much, how many underage elites are there...<snip>
He did receive the promised benefits, even as defined by Cathay Pacific. See below.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
This is a section of CX Marco Polo Club Terms and Conditions, which a gold member and a diamond member above, both agreed to:

a. If the passenger is a minor and travelling alone, admission to the lounge and alcohol consumption follow local laws and the policy of the lounge operator. Proof of age may be required to access lounge.Source:

Source:
https://www.elegislation.gov.hk/hk/c...001&INDEX_CS=N
Statman, TWA884 and CHOPCHOP767 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
This might have to be amended to my tweet
Please do! I want to be featured in a Fox News smear piece as well.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

<snip>

I'm 18. I've been in OP's position before, and it sucks! We are willing to work with the airlines to come to an amicable agreement. The voucher system is it.

We don't need condescending "advice" telling us we are lesser elites. We're not. In fact, the reason(s) behind why younger frequent flyers are in the air often isn't as wonderful as it seems... Give us a break, thank you.
What is this, some union contract negotiation? And if you don't reach the amicable agreement, you plan to do what? Boycott the airline? Terminal 4? LAX?

No one called you "lesser elites". However, you are not entitled to something not provided by the operator of the Lounge, and you are not in a position to make a demand for an alternative from that lounge. Go hangout somewhere else in the airport.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Statman
OP got denied entrance to a lounge in an airport, not the Pearly Gates.
Calm down.
Spend a 5 hour layover in a crappy, busy airport terminal for this reason and I'm sure your statement will be different.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
And $30 to $50 voucher??? LOL First off, that valuation seems excessively high. The quality of "meals" is decent, but it 'aint $50 worth of anything, especially when you remove booze from that calculation. Second, opening up the voucher system to incidents where promised service wasn't delivered by AA, yikes, I've got a couple of hundred dollars worth of vouchers coming my way from missed PDBs, mints, hot towels, warmed nuts, cookies, etc.
The voucher system already exists... People complain about everything and get vouchers for all kinds of silly reasons. $30 is how much a half decent airport meal costs.

Originally Posted by mvoight
There already is an agreement and I doubt sees any need to renegotiate to pay someone else money for an added benefits for underage travelers. The "promised" benefits have restrictions. You are free to use the lounge with someone who is over the age limit.
So your message to OP is "invite someone random to go with you". That will cost the airlines a lot of money... That's paying someone for added benefits. And no restriction will stop that.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:36 pm

Spend a 5 hour layover in a crappy, busy airport terminal for this reason and I'm sure your statement will be different.
I have spent hundreds of hours in layover time at crappy, busy airport terminals. If I can't find a bar or a restaurant to grab a drink or a bite, I find an empty gate and pop open the WSJ or the Financial Times until it's time to board.

The world does not end for me if I am not in a lounge.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
I have spent hundreds of hours in layover time at crappy, busy airport terminals. If I can't find a bar or a restaurant to grab a drink or a bite, I find an empty gate and pop open the WSJ or the Financial Times until it's time to board.

The world does not end for me if I am not in a lounge.
It doesn't for me either... After all these are all first world problems we are privileged to have.

That being said, if you've earned the right to be in a lounge, I'm sure you won't voluntarily stick yourself in a busy, crowded terminal, with crappy, expensive dining options.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It doesn't for me either... After all these are all first world problems we are privileged to have.

That being said, if you've earned the right to be in a lounge, I'm sure you won't voluntarily stick yourself in a busy, crowded terminal, with crappy, expensive dining options.
Of course, the OP didn’t, as evidenced by the Marco Polo Club rules quoted above.

By the way, a site I’ve found useful for those airports without available (or crappy) lounges, IROPS etc. is www.sleepinginairports.net. Their airports guides are pretty handy.
Statman, jcatman and zeer0 like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2018 at 8:20 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by b.xiao
Next time I will just find someone who happens to be standing outside the lounge and ask if he/she wants to be invited to the lounge haha
Yeah especially if she is 21 and looks like Taylor Swift.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andersonCooper

a. If the passenger is a minor and travelling alone, admission to the lounge and alcohol consumption follow local laws and the policy of the lounge operator. Proof of age may be required to access lounge.

Application of Jurisdiction:
These terms and conditions and the relationship between CPA and each Member are governed by Hong Kong law. By using The Club each Member submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Hong Kong courts.

Source:

Source:
https://www.elegislation.gov.hk/hk/c...001&INDEX_CS=N
What's your point? This applies to Cathay Pacific and their facilities.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JDiver
Your restaurant analogy is not germane (and a number of places that sell food in the USA restrict access to minors). In Flagship Lounges, alcohol is available to self serve. For Admirals Clubs, AA has a policy, it is what it is. Nor is your F&B analogy, since you were issued one due to a kitchen failure.

People ineligible to access a lounge are not eligible for a F&B voucher under any AA policy I’m aware of.
"Eligible" is a moot point. People complain all the time about things that they aren't entitled to and get compensated for it. Especially with AA where the service sucks.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

The voucher system already exists... People complain about everything and get vouchers for all kinds of silly reasons. $30 is how much a half decent airport meal costs.

So your message to OP is "invite someone random to go with you". That will cost the airlines a lot of money... That's paying someone for added benefits. And no restriction will stop that.
It would cost less than giving OP a $30 to $50 voucher to be used with an outside vendor. FT even has threads for guesting people into to lounges. I am not in favor of it, but the OP is missing out on a benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.