Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by danielonn
Very easy use and RFID band and if the minor does not have it one boot them out of the lounge with Mommy and Daddy LOL!
Mother and Father would be (well over) 18 or 21 and would be supervising / responsible for their child so unless they were behaving badly all three would be in the Lounge. My understanding of US law is that if the parent allows their child to drink then that is within the law.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...s/undefined/-1

oneworld lounge access for infants and children
Infants under 2 years will not be counted as a guest when travelling with an eligible adult customer
Children travelling as a unaccompanied minor (aged between 2 and 11 years) who are eligible for lounge access, must be accompanied by an adult who will be counted as their guest
Children travelling as a young passenger (YP aged between 12 and 17 years), who are eligible for lounge access do not require an accompanying adult (Note: Subject to local licensing laws; in Japan the ages are 12-19 years)
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
My understanding of US law is that if the parent allows their child to drink then that is within the law.
That's true only at home or a private place, not in a location open to the public even if it happens to be a private club that's licensed to serve alcohol.

BTW, there is no such thing as US law when it comes to serving alcohol; each state and the District of Columbia have their own alcohol laws, rules and regulations (State Liquor Laws).
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
This thread had me recall the liquor license suspension of the United Airlines Club in Seattle 8 years ago. Can't be too careful when it comes to maintaining that valuable state liquor license. Just this week ABC in California permanently revoked the liquor license of a cafe near Cal in Berkeley for sales to minors. Imagine an airline club with a permanently revoked liquor license and only the ability to serve juice and soft drinks. Might cause some here to change carriers.

If you are flying though Seattle-Tacoma International over the next five days, don’t bother to pull out your drink chits if you stop by United’s Red Carpet Club. UA’s liquor license has been suspended for allegedly serving alcohol to minors.
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....hol-to-minors/
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TWA884
That's true only at home or a private place, not in a location open to the public even if it happens to be a private club that's licensed to serve alcohol.

BTW, there is no such thing as US law when it comes to serving alcohol; each state and the District of Columbia have their own alcohol laws, rules and regulations (State Liquor Laws).
As you said, there is no such thing as US law when it comes to serving alcohol, therefore you're first sentence is invalid as there are states that allow a minor to consume alcohol in a restaurant or bar if the alcohol was purchased by the parent and the parent is supervising the minor.
chrisny2 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
As you said, there is no such thing as US law when it comes to serving alcohol, therefore you're first sentence is invalid as there are states that allow a minor to consume alcohol in a restaurant or bar if the alcohol was purchased by the parent and the parent is supervising the minor.
We're going OMNIesque and I did not intend to write a law review article when I made that post, however, here is a link to a guide of the 45 States That Allow Underage (under 21) Alcohol Consumption; it's mostly for religious or medical purposes.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
My understanding of US law is that if the parent allows their child to drink then that is within the law.
That's not going to work in California. Look at 25662 of the Business and Professions Code here:
(a) Except as provided in Section 25667 or 25668, any person under 21 years of age who has any alcoholic beverage in his or her possession on any street or highway or in any public place or in any place open to the public is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of two hundred fifty dollars ($250) or the person shall be required to perform not less than 24 hours or more than 32 hours of community service during hours when the person is not employed or is not attending school.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=16.&article=3.

The exceptions to this section relates to delivery drivers and alcohol consumed in a classroom setting as part of a course. Nothing in there about a "parental exception".
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
We're going OMNIesque and I did not intend to write a law review article when I made that post, however, here is a link to a guide of the 45 States That Allow Underage (under 21) Alcohol Consumption; it's mostly for religious or medical purposes.
Thanks for the link but I don't need to read it.

Parents may buy and allow their minor child to consume alcohol in a bar or restaurant in Texas. Parents may buy and allow their minor child older than 16 to consume alcohol in a restaurant in Louisiana. That's two that I know of personally.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:43 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
And to all those worried about 'liquor licenses,' in most jurisdictions, they deal with SELLING alcohol. Since FlAAgship lounges do not sell alcohol, that is completely irrelevant issue to this topic.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
And to all those worried about 'liquor licenses,' in most jurisdictions, they deal with SELLING alcohol. Since FlAAgship lounges do not sell alcohol, that is completely irrelevant issue to this topic.
The OP complains about being denied access to the Flagship Lounge at LAX.

In California, an alcohol license is required even if the alcohol is given free of charge to guests or members of a club which is operated for profit and is not distinctly private in nature.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:34 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
The OP complains about being denied access to the Flagship Lounge at LAX.

In California, an alcohol license is required even if the alcohol is given free of charge to guests or members of a club which is operated for profit and is not distinctly private in nature.
OK. That is one.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
OK. That is one.
So if one has a wedding can minors be served alcohol at a private function at a home? I imagine at a hotel a Parent could slip a drink to a minor who is 17.

A lounge is a Private by access or invite only but is located in a public area(airport) governed by the City, County, State and ABV.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,
AA allows minors to travel alone on their aircraft....
"Children from 15 through 17 years of age may travel alone, and the Unaccompanied Minor Service is optional
(subject to the same provisions)."
But they do not allow the same minors to get into their lounge ? if they are worried about minors drinking
alcohol, make it mandatory for them to wear a band so they are not served alcohol. (Ban entry in lounges
with self serving alcohol)...
In Flagship Lounges there are self service bottles of alcohol. So a wristband wouldn't be useful
For Admirals Club you are served by an employee, but that is not why the age minimum there is 18, as 18 year olds can't drink either.

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 23, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
In Flagship Lounges there are self service bottles of alcohol. So a wristband wouldn't be useful
For Admirals Club you have to be served, butthat is not why the age minimum there is 18, as 18 year olds can't drink eitehr
Do not understand your response. You can only consume if you can get it. If you are a 15 -17 year old by
yourself, then you will not be served with a band on you ! I also think this is a rare situation but has
happened to my daughter as well when she tried to use Delta Club on her AmEx Platinum...She was
not allowed in Delta club because she was a minor traveling alone (under 21) !
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by flyalways
Do not understand your response. You can only consume if you can get it. If you are a 15 -17 year old by
yourself, then you will not be served with a band on you ! I also think this is a rare situation but has
happened to my daughter as well when she tried to use Delta Club on her AmEx Platinum...She was
not allowed in Delta club because she was a minor traveling alone (under 21) !
OP was trying to get into the Flagship Lounge, where bottles are available for customers to pour their own drink
For Admiral Clubs, I was pointing out the 18 year old restriction was not about alcohol, as it is not self serve there

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 23, 2018 at 8:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.