Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
@Jon
Your categorization of “doucheling” is a bit harsh, no?
JonNYC and zeer0 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Coming out of retirement for this, after seeing it posted on Yahoo etc.

From my handle, I was one of the original Young Travelers on the board: I earned an elite card before I had a driver's license or was able to vote. Earned by understanding the programs, and spending countless hours butt-in-seat (while balancing classes), and financing my travels as others finance their hobbies. Yes, I was advanced in school. Yes, I was skipped a grade. Yes I was taking college classes at 13. Yes I moved out-of-state for college at age 17. To be advanced in life is something that should be celebrated. The OP has done something right in order to have earned a spot, at age 16, that many frequent flyers only dream of.

While one can discover things in exploring LAX (the 7-11 with street pricing land-side in TBIT was a game-changer), I can relate to wanting to enjoy benefits that one has earned. While many of the online comments (outside FT) are by folks who don't even know what CX is, the OP had to _earn_ stat status somehow..... possibly through family means, possibly through other planning. Most folks here are here because of their love of the mileage game.... the OP is entitled to rewards he or she has earned, and yes, the age limit is an inconvenience, and likely something that has never ever been challenged since it has never been an issue to anyone. Until now.

Would carriers deny under 21s from purchasing full F since alcohol is free flowing? No. Revenue is an incentive to the carriers, and with the revenue I guarantee they've earned from the OP's travels, I would think that if the OP has legitimately earned entry into he FL, then a $20 voucher to check out the referenced burger place, and maybe accommodation in an alternate lounge, would be the least they could provide. The most would be review of policies, and notice to lounge staff to value the young customer, and the future business she or he is bound to bring in the coming decades.

Kudos to the OP for his/her commitment to the game, and for earning the status. Boo to those who assume he/she is feels unconditionally spoiled or entitled.
B747-437B, C17PSGR, aktchi and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Having been on FT for quite a bit of time now, this will rank pretty high up there as First World Problems...

No offense at the OP, but this isn't one of those arbitrary actions taken by airline staff or discrimination. The rule is clearly written and followed with no ill intent.

Unfortunately for the OP, his age was not in his favor... this time. Though I suspect being so young and having such elevated status means he'll have plenty of opportunities to partake in the benefits in the near future.

EDIT TO ADD:
Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
Coming out of retirement for this, after seeing it posted on Yahoo etc.
VJ! Great seeing you on the boards again... been awhile since our heydays.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:04 pm

LAX Flagship

I just wanted to add... that I am an Executive Platinum Member and a shareholder of AAL and I can attest to the lounge representative at the LAX Flagship check-in can be extremely rude...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Eric Ocasio
I just wanted to add... that I am an Executive Platinum Member and a shareholder of AAL and I can attest to the lounge representative at the LAX Flagship check-in can be extremely rude...
If I were a shareholder in AAL, I would be much more concerned with the stock price (and dumping it as quickly as possible) than treatment by an LAX Flagship GA.... Should Walmart shareholders get better treatment by greeters at their stores? LOL

Anyways, brava QueenofCoach and bravo JonNYC... your wisdom is truly appreciated and should be heeded...
JonNYC and TWA884 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Welcome to FT. You are welcome to describe your experiences with rude lounge representatives at LAX so the forum could benefit from it, or make recommendations to you.

Off topic and it seems to be a new trend here "As AAL shareholder...". I am not sure how being a shareholder matters here, except for IRS to tax realized capital gains and (ordinary or qualified) dividends, if any.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
As a lowly Executive Platinum for only three years now, and someone who usually gains access to the lounge via gold status with British Airways, I can attest that most of the "rudeness" I observe while checking in at the LAX Flagship Lounge is exhibited by passengers who are ignorant about the rules for admission, and are then indignant about accepting their fate.

OP seems to be both ignorant and indignant, and then chose to write about the experience out of a sense of entitlement.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by b.xiao
Next time I will just find someone who happens to be standing outside the lounge and ask if he/she wants to be invited to the lounge haha

Well, if you decide that you need a travel companion to allow you access into the lounge, I offer my services. Just cover my expenses for travel and I'll tag along and even carry your bags.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Concorde Room is waiter service. Club lounge is certainly self pour. Not sure about the F lounge but likely is self pour too.

Even though BA have the lease from the Port Authority T7 it is still US soil so US laws apply. It’s not a little enclave of the UK!

as far as I know BA don’t give vouchers to under age passengers who would otherwise be eligible for lounge access because of status or cabin class.

At JFK T4 the VS clubhouse is also waiter service but at BOS hard liquor is waiter service but they have bottles of beer in fridges for pax to access themselves (Maybe the same at JFK but it’s been a while since I was there). Im not sure what does for allowing under 21 access!

I am now 16 and a CX GO. I was travelling with BA intra-europe J from LHR T5 last year (when I was 15) and was denied in to the lounge and the attendant simply handed me a 30 pounds voucher.
went to Gordon Ramsey's restaurant and could definitely assure you that its far better that the shxxy BA lounge.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific
I do understand the frustration of OP, as CX members and both being 16s, I do understand that CX don't normally enforce the age regulations regarding to alcoholic drinks in lounge nor onboard, and tbh with you, I personally never got challenged by lounge attendants or cabin crews even though I do drink a lot (thumbs up for the CX F Krug 2004).
Dress up properly and act in an adult fashion and 9 out of 10 times the staff will treat you as an adult.
Despite you might think its unfair, its their job to do so and if they don't follow it, they might get sacked (as one cx ism told me about the company policy regarding to serving alcohol to u18s on a flight where me and 5 of my friends who were all 16 only and booked in cx first, asking for Krug and got turned down) especially in countries like the US with strict regulations unlike Asia
you still got plenty of chances to visit the lounge once turn 18/21
ps. for those hates who thinks teens should not deserve the right to enjoy lounges, please do remember that we committed the same amount (or even more?) time and money for the status and by no means we are different from airlines perspective and should have the same right to use the lounge. Its a shame of AA not offering any alternatives (even food court vouchers) for OP as OWE and premium pax.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
While I understand and certainly appreciate the fact that there is freely accessible alcohol at the Flagship lounge I think airlines have to react here and provide an alternative.

The Admirals Club for example provides alcohol only through the bartender so where exactly is the problem?

We're talking about someone who is legally allowed to operate a vehicle yet AA doesn't allow lounge access? That's <redacted> stupid and nothing but. Makes zero sense whatsoever.

The request for a meal voucher wasn't unreasonable if they deny access to the lounge despite being Emerald (in a Premium Cabin?). YMMV
zeer0 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2018 at 3:43 pm Reason: Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
While I understand and certainly appreciate the fact that there is freely accessible alcohol at the Flagship lounge I think airlines have to react here and provide an alternative.

The Admirals Club for example provides alcohol only through the bartender so where exactly is the problem?

We're talking about someone who is legally allowed to operate a vehicle yet AA doesn't allow lounge access? That's <redacted> stupid and nothing but. Makes zero sense whatsoever.

The request for a meal voucher wasn't unreasonable if they deny access to the lounge despite being Emerald (in a Premium Cabin?). YMMV
To be fair, in most places you can't drive alone at 16, as you will only have a learner's permit. So yes, they can operate a motor vehicle, with an adult, and yes, they can enter the lounge, with an adult.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2018 at 7:47 am Reason: Rule 17. Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

We're talking about someone who is legally allowed to operate a vehicle yet AA doesn't allow lounge access? That's f'in stupid and nothing but. Makes zero sense whatsoever.

You can "legally...operate" a vehicle in states like Kansas and others at the age of 14. Yes, get your license and all. If this is your criteria for being mature enough to enjoy some of the finer things in life then understand that when my sons were 14 they couldn't keep their hands out of their own pants.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I will come out from a different angle. I have noticed a number of blogs from HK about young travelers and they review lounges. able to access the lounge is part of their part time job.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

How is any of that germane to liquor licensing laws out of the airline’s control? Do they establish different policies for lounges in different countries? What kind of vouchers would they pripovide?

Originally Posted by pbd456
I will come out from a different angle. I have noticed a number of blogs from HK about young travelers and they review lounges. able to access the lounge is part of their part time job.
That doesn’t fly in countries restricting access because of liquor / alcoholic beverages, regardless of job, status, wealth, national origin, etc. where laws are uniformly applied to everyone.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2018 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.