Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'll second the dress for success theme.

Walk in with khakis and a blazer, check in with the agent, and say "Good evening, I'm flying on AA 123 but I'm a Cathay Diamond number" and odds are (unless you look really young) you'll be hanging in the Flagship Lounge. It's all a matter of walking with quiet authority but not pretentious. A 22 year old who looks like a skateboarder will get stopped while an 18 year old who looks like an investment analyst will not.

Consider watching the movie Wedding Crashers.

I doubt AA has changed its policies regarding Flagship Lounge access but if you're obviously 16, you'll be stopped.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM
Originally Posted by ESpen36

I should clarify that I am NOT advocating that you attempt to violate AA lounge eligibility policies, which exist for good reason. You will need to wait until you turn 18 or 21 to access lounges by yourself. But on board aircraft in premium cabins...by all means—see if they think you are older if you dress up!
We will see... I just wanted to see if it is a location problem or is that their policy tightened recently across the board. Onboard service seldom changes on AA - no greeting/special treatment whatsoever. Well no need to experiment on CX 100/100 times do it professionally. (Mr. ...)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Walk in with khakis and a blazer, check in with the agent, and say "Good evening, I'm flying on AA 123 but I'm a Cathay Diamond number" and odds are (unless you look really young) you'll be hanging in the Flagship Lounge. It's all a matter of walking with quiet authority but not pretentious. A 22 year old who looks like a skateboarder will get stopped while an 18 year old who looks like an investment analyst will not.

I doubt AA has changed its policies regarding Flagship Lounge access but if you're obviously 16, you'll be stopped.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Not to go off topic, but I wonder how it works for foreign carriers operating on US soil. For ex, BA flying JFK-LHR. While on the ground at JFK, they would need to follow NY state law (21+). Once in the air, would UK laws apply, since BA is a UK flagged carrier. What about at the Galleries lounges and Concorde Room at JFK, which are fully operated by BA, as is the entire terminal where they are located?
Concorde Room is waiter service. Club lounge is certainly self pour. Not sure about the F lounge but likely is self pour too.

Even though BA have the lease from the Port Authority T7 it is still US soil so US laws apply. It’s not a little enclave of the UK!

as far as I know BA don’t give vouchers to under age passengers who would otherwise be eligible for lounge access because of status or cabin class.

At JFK T4 the VS clubhouse is also waiter service but at BOS hard liquor is waiter service but they have bottles of beer in fridges for pax to access themselves (Maybe the same at JFK but it’s been a while since I was there). Im not sure what does for allowing under 21 access!

JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

This is spot on advice, also props to the OP for being CX Diamond at 16!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by b.xiao
I have several upcoming travel plans and will do some experiments next tuesday @ AC and early August @ JFK FL/FD. Last time in Suites during random chat the FAs were so surprised when I told them I was 16. They thought I was 22. Guess dressing slightly formal does help a lot. haha
I'm guessing from your username that you might also be East Asian. Since we don't really age all that much even well into our 20's, I agree that maybe you should just "fake it until ya make it." Carry yourself with confidence and see what happens, at least it worked for me back when I was underage.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Makes sense to me. According to the law, minors (under 18) cannot be held legally responsible for their actions, behavior, or well-being. In a lounge setting where customers are expecting a place of rest, relaxation, or productivity, minors should not be present without a supervising adult.

Furthermore, if a person under 18 were to become injured or ill while in a club, the airline could be sued if there were nobody supervising or attending to the needs of the minor. It's not the same as having status or flying premium cabins, which minors can do on their own (including the OP). Here's why. While travelers of all ages are proceeding through the airport terminal, there are employees specifically looking out for them (agents, security, police, TSA, etc) as well as on board (crew members). However, the same does not apply in the secluded conditions of a lounge. If you were having a medical problem, you could find a quiet corner of a lounge and it's possible nobody would notice for hours. If the person were an unaccompanied minor, it could be the airline's liability.

IMHO, for good reason, AA does not sell Admirals Clubs memberships to persons under 18, nor allow anyone under 18 into the clubs unless accompanied by a supervising adult. (I remember purchasing my first year of AC membership just a few days after I turned 18 and became eligible!)

The Flagship Lounge rule prohibiting access to unaccompanied persons under 21 is probably because of the self-service alcohol. The 50 states of the USA have enacted state laws that prohibit alcohol purchase/possession by persons under 21, with very few exceptions.
”secluded” in reference to an AC
or FL. LOL, ever been in one!?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by dayone
Now if they would just ban people who talk loudly on their cell phones...
And, in my observation, most of those folks are over 21.
prw555 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think since the lounges are on the ground they still need to follow NY law
Agreed. I think they’re not Embassies of sovereign nations.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Next time I will just find someone who happens to be standing outside the lounge and ask if he/she wants to be invited to the lounge haha
Sounds as though you have your future strategy all worked out.

If you pass through MIA, look for a Jamaican woman with a starving child making cell phone videos........she'll go in with you.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:30 am

I actually had the complete opposite experience when I wanted to access an airline lounge under 21.

Oddly, dressed in more formal attire, ID'ed every time, jeans a t-shirt and snakers, nary a word.

Most people found the opposite was true and to this very day I look younger in formal attire than I do in jeans,shorts, t-shirts, etc..

​​​​​​
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. The drinking age in all US states is 21 and is set by the state legislature or authorized by the legislature.
2. State and local laws apply to air carrier lounges just as to any other facility.
3. In most states, California is one, if alcohol his available directly to the customer, e.g., no bartender to ID the customer, those <21 must be accompanied by a responsible adult,
4. AA, as a private business, is free to adopt uniform rules for access and has done so.

Finally, the fact that CX issues a voucher in those situations is up to CX. OP was not flying CX, so it is irrelevant why CX did it for him. Not everything is the same in life. Something perhaps OP will learn as he becomes an adult.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by JDiver
Agreed. I think they’re not Embassies of sovereign nations.
Actually, even embassies are generally subject to local laws, although it's much harder for LEOs to come in and enforce them.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Makes sense to me. According to the law, minors (under 18) cannot be held legally responsible for their actions, behavior, or well-being.
That's not even remotely true. Do you think all the juvenile prosecutors, police officers and court systems in the US who prosecute and convict juveniles of crimes are weird vigilantes or something?

AA is allowed to set any (legal) lounge access policy they'd like, and they've chosen to do so based on particular lounge offerings.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skunker
All US states and DC have a minimum age of 21, due to federal highway funding. A couple US territories are still 18.

There are a couple exceptions if a parent or guardian is present or on your own property.
Previously, some states did allow alcohol at 18 (NY and DC for example) and some allowed only beer or only 3.2% alcohol beer (Ohio, IIRC Wisconsin), while there were a few examples of the drinking age being 19 or 20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.