Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Minor: Rejected for LAX Flagship Lounge Access

Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
I'm curious if the OP had gone over to TBIT and tried to get into the Oneworld lounges would the result have been different? Either way the rules are the rules. It was annoying to not be able to enjoy the lounges when I was young, but somehow this millennial survived.
JDiver and TWA884 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
"Eligible" is a moot point. People complain all the time about things that they aren't entitled to and get compensated for it. Especially with AA where the service sucks.
I would beg to differ. On occasion American can be generous when it comes to folks complaining about things that they're not really entitled to or that AA has no practical control over.

To put it in perspective, my complaints to Mrs. EnPremiere about things that I'm not entitled have never resulted in her throwing 5K of miles my way or sending me a template response email to silence me .
C17PSGR and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:31 pm

Just checked into the LAX Flagship lounge and my experience immediately made me think of this post. As background, Im a 21 year old woman who is generally mistaken as a 16/17 year old (a couple months ago I was given a childrens menu at a restaurant). Went to the downstairs checkin for my long layover, after I was handed back my ticket and flagship loung pass, the woman asked Youre 21, right? And let me go on my way. After exiting the elevator, the woman upstairs again asked though this time it was how old are you? Because I asked her for a shower key, she brought me to the desks inside the flagship lounge itself and announced to the agents there that she had already checked my age. One of them remarked that he thought I looked to be about seventeen. Though at this point I offered, no one asked to see my ID. This was all while dressed very casually with my hair in braided pigtails. So, perhaps, OP, you just need some more lenient/trusting agents?
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
When you check in, don't agents see your reservation info, and doesn't that include your DOB?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mvoight
When you check in, don't agents see your reservation info, and doesn't that include your DOB?
Perhaps ... but are they really that diligent?
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Emadissi
Just checked into the LAX Flagship lounge and my experience immediately made me think of this post. As background, Im a 21 year old woman who is generally mistaken as a 16/17 year old (a couple months ago I was given a childrens menu at a restaurant). Went to the downstairs checkin for my long layover, after I was handed back my ticket and flagship loung pass, the woman asked Youre 21, right? And let me go on my way. After exiting the elevator, the woman upstairs again asked though this time it was how old are you? Because I asked her for a shower key, she brought me to the desks inside the flagship lounge itself and announced to the agents there that she had already checked my age. One of them remarked that he thought I looked to be about seventeen. Though at this point I offered, no one asked to see my ID. This was all while dressed very casually with my hair in braided pigtails. So, perhaps, OP, you just need some more lenient/trusting agents?
Nah, OP just needs to be patient and wait a few years. Is that so impossible? Just follow the rules and chill.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by jcatman
Nah, OP just needs to be patient and wait a few years. Is that so impossible? Just follow the rules and chill.
how do u know that OP will still qualify for status in a few years?
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Wow... seriously, how much more blood is there to squeeze out of this thread?

Regards
Statman, DMPHL, Rikki3072 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by scubadu
Wow... seriously, how much more blood is there to squeeze out of this thread?

Regards
As long as people want to argue about something that has no definitive answer (read: forever), there will be more to squeeze.

The two sides both have a point. OP should enjoy the hobby, the status, all that s/he earned as much as s/he can. And OP is 16, and it's not worth their time to let this incident or policy bother them, because there is so much more that's ahead of them and so many ways for a young person to enjoy life and travel that are often more fun and fulfilling than sitting in a lounge. Both are valid. So, enjoy all that you've earned, OP. And know that there is also a lot more to get concerned about re: travel than lounge access, especially when you're 16 and have the imagination and creativity to discover the world in ways you won't when you're older.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by DMPHL
As long as people want to argue about something that has no definitive answer (read: forever), there will be more to squeeze.

The two sides both have a point. OP should enjoy the hobby, the status, all that s/he earned as much as s/he can. And OP is 16, and it's not worth their time to let this incident or policy bother them, because there is so much more that's ahead of them and so many ways for a young person to enjoy life and travel that are often more fun and fulfilling than sitting in a lounge. Both are valid. So, enjoy all that you've earned, OP. And know that there is also a lot more to get concerned about re: travel than lounge access, especially when you're 16 and have the imagination and creativity to discover the world in ways you won't when you're older.
While I agree with everything you've said, Flyertalk only exists because there is a subset of travelers of all ages who obsess over how to position themselves to be able to sit in a lounge instead of exploring their airport surroundings.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: Platinum
Gotta agree completely with @jcatman. Having spent much time in LAX (Flagship and Admirals), never once had AA Lounge Rep at check-in be anything other than pleasant and professional. Can't say the same for a goodly number of passengers there.

This year been taking a lot of dawn patrol flights, and bemused (and a bit saddened) by some of the comments made by the PAX in line waiting for the club to open at 4:30/4:45AM, presumably unhappy that they're being made to wait.

All told, I'm very pleased with the way AA runs their lounges.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I too have been curious as to how much life has been breathed into this thread indeed. And here I go adding more life into it as well.

side note: how does this "multi-quote" feature work? I can never get it to work as expected.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I too have been curious as to how much life has been breathed into this thread indeed. And here I go adding more life into it as well.

side note: how does this "multi-quote" feature work? I can never get it to work as expected.
Happy to divert the topic as much as I can since I am still missing my Pier F dinning experience couple days ago and can't focus on work

Just click multi quote for all the quotes you want, except for the last - click "quote". Then FT will jump to the reply page with every quote you selected.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.