Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Request for help/advice: AA: DFW-LAX-NGO & NRT-DFW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP

Looking for some assistance from the community. I just recently started flying frequently all my flying is domestic, so I am not well versed at all when it comes to maximizing EQM & EQD on AA, by flying partners (or code shares?). A friend of mind asked for my help on the situation below. His primary desire is to maximize EQM on AA. He sent me the following cities and dates (below). Again, I am wet behind the ears when it comes to booking partners and codeshares in order to earn EQM based on distance flown. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

I need to get from DFW to NGO (Nagoya) and I need to arrive by 9/18 (so leave 9/17). On 9/22, I need to get from NRT (Tokyo, not Nagoya) to DFW. Business class, American or partner. Maximize points.

Currently, I have pieced together these flights for $4,779. Best deal I could find.

9/17 - DFW --> LAX (one way, separate purchase)
9/17 - LAX --> NGO (through NRT, but through HND works too)
9/22 - NRT --> DFW --> LAX (but I will get off in DFW and slip out, they don't like it, but I've done it before)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
LAX to Haneda on AA, HND to NGO on AA codeshare (operated by JAL).

I don't understand why your friend would buy a NRT-DFW-LAX ticket if they intend to get off at DFW. Maybe if an award was forcing it but unlikely to be cheaper for revenue business ticket.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
LAX to Haneda on AA, HND to NGO on AA codeshare (operated by JAL).

I don't understand why your friend would buy a NRT-DFW-LAX ticket if they intend to get off at DFW. Maybe if an award was forcing it but unlikely to be cheaper for revenue business ticket.
He said the NRT-DFW direct, added several thousand dollars.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by genotonda
I need to get from DFW to NGO (Nagoya) and I need to arrive by 9/18 (so leave 9/17). On 9/22, I need to get from NRT (Tokyo, not Nagoya) to DFW. Business class, American or partner. Maximize points.

Currently, I have pieced together these flights for $4,779. Best deal I could find.

9/17 - DFW --> LAX (one way, separate purchase)
9/17 - LAX --> NGO (through NRT, but through HND works too)
9/22 - NRT --> DFW --> LAX (but I will get off in DFW and slip out, they don't like it, but I've done it before)
To maximize EQM, just make sure your friend books the AA flight numbers, not the JL flight numbers or codeshares if they're offered. On business class fares AA flight numbers will earn 2.0 EQM per mile flown, while most partner carriers including JL only earn 1.5 EQM per mile.

Again, it's ok if he flies on JL metal, but make sure its booked as the AA codeshare, i.e. "LAX-NRT AAxxxx operated by JL."

Also keep in mind that AA does not check bags through on separate tickets. So if he's checking luggage, on the outbound he will need to allow enough time in LAX to claim his bag and check-in again before the LAX-NRT flight.

On the return, getting off in DFW will be no problem, but I'd highly recommend he book the DFW-LAX connecting flight for the next day. AA allows 24 hrs to connect on int'l itineraries, so you can arrive from NRT-DFW in the afternoon with DFW-LAX the following morning for the same price. In the rare case of irrops, this will minimize any potential issues.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by genotonda
He said the NRT-DFW direct, added several thousand dollars.
Yeah, LAX-based flights to TYO are often much cheaper than DFW.

I'm flying LAX-HND, NRT-LAX in W/J for $2400 next February. The DFW option of the same was around $4800. So I just bought a cheap DFW-LAX R/T to get me to LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.