Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help deciding on flights (DFW-MAD J Mar 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help deciding on flights (DFW-MAD J Mar 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I don’t believe this can ever be stated enough for an overnight. Being able to get a solid block of sleep helps so much on arrival. Maybe not for travel in Y, but certainly in J, or maybe even in PE now.
This is good food for thought. It's J all the way for me now. A few years ago BA bumped me up from PE I've never gone back. That's how they get you..
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
The only thing I dont like about MIA-MAD is the super early arrival into MAD - 5:30 am.

If the Flagship Lounge at PHL will be done by end of year, PHL-MAD might be an alternative.

The other option to be examine is if flying IB out of JFK is sensible. You would get access to the Flagship lounge at JFK. I have no opinion of the IB A340 J class product although I'm one who would do it just to check the A340 off my "I've flown on it" list.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The only thing I dont like about MIA-MAD is the super early arrival into MAD - 5:30 am.
Gross, yea you're right, looks like the MIA-MAD schedule shifts earlier to a ~4pm departure and 5:30am arrival sometime between now and March (currently a 7pm dep 9:30a arrival). I take back what I said above, I would avoid the MIA-MAD option if sleeping is of any concern. The early 4-5pm Europe departures from the east coast are impossible to get any sleep on.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:27 am

Sounds like DFW is getting more appealing, if the arrival time sticks.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
If the Flagship Lounge at PHL will be done by end of year, PHL-MAD might be an alternative.
IME, anything involving PHL should never be considered as an alternative.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Sounds like DFW is getting more appealing, if the arrival time sticks.
Yes, unfortunately it is.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Think about booking / using IB, as well. Ex-MIA, not ORD or JFK.
IB's seat aren't terrible, but food on IB (both ex MIA and ex MAD) is... I sometimes take IB when it is noticeably cheaper than AA, which is often. But you do get a hair tie on IB ;-)
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Pardon the ignorance but as I’m lurking here a question popped into my head. I can buy a ticket on any other OneWorld airline and still get AA miles on them? Or do they need to be codeshares with AA flights?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by flying_geek
IB's seat aren't terrible, but food on IB (both ex MIA and ex MAD) is... I sometimes take IB when it is noticeably cheaper than AA, which is often. But you do get a hair tie on IB ;-)
When I did LAX to MAD on IB last month, my impression was:

Food: On par with AA, which isn't saying much.
Wine/Booze: Superior to AA, which isn't saying much.
Seat: On par with AA. Both are reasonable J products.
Amenities kit: Superior to AA (I liked the shoehorn!)
FAs: Superior to AA, which isn't saying much.
TATL award availability: Superior to AA, but pretty much every airline in the civilized world is vastly superior to AA in this regard.

I booked my summer 2019 trip on IB. It helped that I had 60k in BA Avios, and I could transfer them to an existing IB account, and IB's award calendar opens up at almost T-360.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Gross, yea you're right, looks like the MIA-MAD schedule shifts earlier to a ~4pm departure and 5:30am arrival sometime between now and March (currently a 7pm dep 9:30a arrival). I take back what I said above, I would avoid the MIA-MAD option if sleeping is of any concern. The early 4-5pm Europe departures from the east coast are impossible to get any sleep on.
Look on the bright side: no line for churros!

Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by living near shamu
Pardon the ignorance but as I’m lurking here a question popped into my head. I can buy a ticket on any other OneWorld airline and still get AA miles on them? Or do they need to be codeshares with AA flights?
You can earn AA miles etc. flying on flights operated and/or marketed by other oneworld airlines, depending on the fare. See the partner airline charts linked to here.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lobo411
Look on the bright side: no line for churros!

Very true! However, Madrid isn't my final destination. I'm really trying to find the best way to get to Italy since there are no NS flights from DFW. DFW-FRA on AA is looking like a good option at the moment.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:34 pm

CDG?

For whatever reason, it always seems to be the cheapest entry point when I’m looking.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:21 pm

Not trying to hijack the thread but Iam headed to BCN and was going to fly JFK to BCN but it's clear now that MIA to BCN is the better choice. Flying in October so have to book the tickets, one issue is that $6,500 for business or $8,500 for first class. It's for a pair of tickets, is first class worth $2k more than business? I flew JFK to BCN in business last year.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DallasTX_Traveller
Very true! However, Madrid isn't my final destination. I'm really trying to find the best way to get to Italy since there are no NS flights from DFW. DFW-FRA on AA is looking like a good option at the moment.
DFW-MIA-MXP or DFW-PHL-FCO is available for only slightly more than DFW-MIA-MAD (and less than the DFW-FRA nonstop). If you're going to Italy then I would by all means fly straight there if possible, way easier than booking a separate ticket from FRA or MAD or taking the train, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.