Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help deciding on flights (DFW-MAD J Mar 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hello,

I am going to Madrid next March. I usually fly direct from DFW - MAD because it's easiest but the fares for next year are a little higher than usual. However, there are a couple of different options with connections. I have never connected through JFK or Miami so looking for input. I will be booking business so advice on the seating is appreciated too. I'm considering AA68 out of Miami on 3/22/19. The flight from DFW (if on time) would give me almost 2 hours to make the flight. Flight delays, etc always make me nervous though. Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I;m not too worried about late march - thats not a bad time of year to be flying. The JFK-MAD flight is a 763 which I find to be inferior to the 772. Bonus seems to be that DFW-MIA is currently blocked as a 772 as well. Don't know if that will hold. I like the AA Lounge in E - I don't know if you get access to that lounge.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Personally I’d choose MIA over JFK for this route if direct isn’t a reasonable option. AA uses the 777 from MIA but I think they fly the 767 from JFK. Both have Flagship lounge access. I’d rather chance rain in MIA than possible march snow in NYC.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
I've taken some connections over direct flights to Europe a few times in the past few years. Always wonder what in the heck I was thinking when first leg has a delay, etc etc.
Pay the slightly higher fare and enjoy the least amount of hassle.
oopsz likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I also agree that if you can't get a nonstop flight, go through MIA. The 777 is a nice aircraft in Business, and it's definitely a lot better than the 767. MIA is much less likely to have a delay in March, when NYC could easily get a snowstorm or a day with low clouds/rain/wind.

If JFK-MAD is on IB instead, their A350 (which should take over the route by March) is pretty nice, and I'd give it more consideration . But MIA still looks like a better option.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
March is still over 8 months away so I would be in absolutely no hurry to book anything. Looking at a few random dates in March though, the DFW-MAD nonstop prices out the same as other connecting options, so I would certainly sit on this one for a while in hopes that the nonstop pricing would come back down for a 3/22 departure.

That said, agree with everyone else that DFW-MIA-MAD is better than JFK-MAD
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:56 pm

Agree on MIA. Have you thought to look a day or so before your intended outgoing, and a day or so after your return, just to see if the DFW flight is a bit better on price?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the replies. Will hold off booking anything yet but good info to have. If I have to do a connection will definitely lean towards Miami.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DallasTX_Traveller
Thanks for the replies. Will hold off booking anything yet but good info to have. If I have to do a connection will definitely lean towards Miami.
Think about booking / using IB, as well. Ex-MIA, not ORD or JFK.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I had a similar issue last year, although ticket prices were much better. Wound up going on a BA ticket in J (actually I or R) using AA for DFW-MIA and IB for MIA-MAD. Can't tell you how that worked out as flight times changed and BA moved me to AA36 direct DFW-MAD. Going through MIA certainly looked better on paper than ORD, JFK, or LHR.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Hearing from other posters that MIA is the 777 and JFK is not makes the difference to me. I'd go MIA if not direct.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Another vote for connecting in MIA over JFK.

772 >>> 763. (I don't think I put enough > in there)

Also, gets you a little longer of a flight across the pond, as the MIA-MAD is about an hour longer. Better for sleeping, and you arrive in MAD earlier.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by econometrics
Another vote for connecting in MIA over JFK.

772 >>> 763. (I don't think I put enough > in there)

Also, gets you a little longer of a flight across the pond, as the MIA-MAD is about an hour longer. Better for sleeping, and you arrive in MAD earlier.
For me, JFK used to seem faster for connecting I-D than Miami. I remember being in MIA af few times and seeing the line at Customs being huge.
One time, I was through immigration with nobody in line ahead of me, but after getting my luggage, it took 45 minutes to get out of the Customs exit
I was happy when mobile passport was added.
Has this changed?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
For me, JFK used to seem faster for connecting I-D than Miami. I remember being in MIA af few times and seeing the line at Customs being huge.
One time, I was through immigration with nobody in line ahead of me, but after getting my luggage, it took 45 minutes to get out of the Customs exit
I was happy when mobile passport was added.
Has this changed?
I haven't done a Europe INTL arrival in MIA, only South American, early AM arrivals. It's definitely improved, at least in the early morning hours.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by econometrics

I don’t believe this can ever be stated enough for an overnight. Being able to get a solid block of sleep helps so much on arrival. Maybe not for travel in Y, but certainly in J, or maybe even in PE now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.