Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pond algeacide removed from suitcase in Reno

Pond algeacide removed from suitcase in Reno

Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by GFrye
Considering what it says on the label, the OP could get into serious trouble for not being truthful when answering the "Are you transporting any hazardous materials" question during the check-in process. With a clear label like that, "I didn't know" won't fly, and possibly neither will the OP...
Judging by his surprise at it's removal I highly doubt he thought it was hazardous.
hnussbacher likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Yes, at the end pilots has final say on if an item will fly on their aircraft or not. I have been in this industry for 20 year plus and only once I experienced our FedEx shipment did not arrive on time. Once I sent a sample to a customer overnight. First thing in the morning I checked if the sample was on the way to the customer, FedEx tracking indicated that it was still at MEM (Memphis). I immediately called FedEx and was transferred to dangerous good department. Was told there was nothing wrong with my shipment. All paper work were good, package was in good shape, not broken or not torn off, etc. Simply my package did not get on the flight at MEM. But that only happened once over 20 years plus of my experience.
My company manufactures flammable chemicals (primarily isopropanol based) in Mexico for supply to US/CAN/MX/Caribbean. Air shipments can be tricky and are only used to support "line down" situations at the user, but even then we have to be very cautious about delivery promise dates in those cases.

It seems that there are limits for the total quantity of HazMats that can be on any single cargo flight, even if properly packaged and documented. First come, first served, and we have seen 1 gallon shipments sit for a week at FedEx waiting for their turn on a cargo plane.

Delays are a regular enough occurrence that most of the Caribbean users users opt for the non-flammable (and lower performance) materials because they can fly next-day unrestricted and ground shipping is not an option to an island.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'll note ... I'm impressed that this was caught by the TSA. Obviously, they did the right thing but seems like the type of thing that normally would not have been caught.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by RG1X
Amusingly enough, this was one of the reviews for the product...
That is my review!
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Judging by his surprise at it's removal I highly doubt he thought it was hazardous.
Probably not. However, OP was quick to point out what the label says. Just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean the FAA won't want to talk to him at some point in the future. He'd have a harder time saying he didn't know when he clearly read the label and the label says "corrosive". You are responsible for your items and as such they could make an argument that all he had to do was google "aircraft restrictions corrosives" or something similar to at least have an idea that he should ask more questions.

But if the FAA are satisfied that it wasn't intentional, and therefore not a criminal act, then the max fine is only USD 50,000. So that's the good news.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by justhere
Probably not. However, OP was quick to point out what the label says. Just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean the FAA won't want to talk to him at some point in the future. He'd have a harder time saying he didn't know when he clearly read the label and the label says "corrosive". You are responsible for your items and as such they could make an argument that all he had to do was google "aircraft restrictions corrosives" or something similar to at least have an idea that he should ask more questions.

But if the FAA are satisfied that it wasn't intentional, and therefore not a criminal act, then the max fine is only USD 50,000. So that's the good news.
Since I have transported this at least 5x in the past 10 years without a hitch in checked luggage, I was unaware that it is considered hazmat. The stuff gets washed directly into my koi pond from my waterfall and nothing has ever happened to them.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
Since I have transported this at least 5x in the past 10 years without a hitch in checked luggage, I was unaware that it is considered hazmat. The stuff gets washed directly into my koi pond from my waterfall and nothing has ever happened to them.
You don't have to convince me. I'm just telling you how the FAA views these things. Just because you've done it before and nothing happened doesn't mean you shouldn't have been aware of the potential hazardous nature of the item.

And just because your koi approve doesn't mean it's not hazardous. If, as others have posted, it's some sort of oxidizer, the reason it is prohibited is because the last thing you want on an aircraft is something that will help a fire breath. I'm sure there are a lot of people who enjoy 151 Bacardi and nothing has happened to them but you still can't bring a bottle of it on a passenger aircraft.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Wow, maybe OP should actually read the baggage restrictions that are presented and agreed to during OLCI and are posted at the ticket counter at the airport. You just admitted to transporting dangerous chemicals in a commercial aircraft, simply because you are too ignorant or selfish to be responsible with your checked baggage contents.

Just because something has the potential for danger does not mean that it will cause the harm 100% of the time, nor is past lack of harm evidence that there is no danger present. And since your koi aren't flying commercial, their experience is irrelevant.

Here's a good example: You should not go back and sit down in your car while you are filling the gas tank, especially during the winter (low humidity) climate. You see, you can get a static charge built up on yourself that can discharge when you touch the gas pump handle to remove it and that can ignite fuel vapors.

Does this happen every time? No.

If you didn't have a static discharge the last time you filled your tank, does that preclude it from happening next time? No.

If you ignite fuel vapors at a filling station, would you and everyone around you be in grave danger? Yes.

As you can tell, this angers me because pax that behave in this way endanger me when I fly with them. I'm sure that J7 592 wasn't the first time SabreTech loaded hazardous cargo in a commercial flight's hold, but the 110 people that died that day wish they hadn't done it on May 11, 1996.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by justhere

Sorry I am not clear on this OP. You were warned that it is a 50,000 fine so you just admitted to checking it 5x times before?????
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Wow, maybe OP should actually read the baggage restrictions that are presented and agreed to during OLCI and are posted at the ticket counter at the airport. You just admitted to transporting dangerous chemicals in a commercial aircraft, simply because you are too ignorant or selfish to be responsible with your checked baggage contents.
Exactly.

I don't recall the exact text displayed during AA OLCI, but either a list of restricted/prohibited categories is shown as part of the OLCI flow or there's a link to the restricted/prohibited categories list. The list of restricted/prohibited categories includes oxygenating and corrosive materials.
As part of the check-in process (OLCI or at the airport), the passenger needs to assert that they have read the list of restricted/prohibited categories and that they are not bringing hazardous materials onboard.

Considering that the product label clearly states that it is both oxygenating and corrosive, the passenger can't claim "I didn't know" after they have asserted that they have read the list of restricted/prohibited categories.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Why don't you just buy the stuff in the UK ?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by george 3
Why don't you just buy the stuff in the UK ?
Maybe they've banned it
AquaEscape only sells it in the US
https://www.aquascapeinc.com/products/ecoblast
"EcoBlast™ (US Only)

Aquascape EcoBlast™ Contact Granular Algaecide eliminates unsightly algae and debris from waterfalls, fountains, streams, and rocks on contact. Simply sprinkle the treatment directly on the affected area and watch the algae disappear. Quickly removing this algae growth will allow you to spend more time enjoying your water feature and less time maintaining it. EcoBlast™ Contact Granular Algaecide is able to be used at any water temperature, making it an excellent choice for any time of year. The treatment can also be used with a wide range of pH levels.
Available in US Only.

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 19, 2018 at 9:53 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
That is my review!
yeah, we knew.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by RG1X
Amusingly enough, this was one of the reviews for the product...
That is my review!
That review was written more than seven years ago. Are you saying that you started this thread to discuss something that happened seven years ago, or did this first happen to you seven years ago and then it happened again recently?
Since I have transported this at least 5x in the past 10 years without a hitch in checked luggage, I was unaware that it is considered hazmat.
Since the product information label clearly identifies it as corrosive and an oxidizing agent, did you notice this info during the purchase flow? Note the section that says: "By clicking Continue, I agree to the above Hazardous materials policy and the liquids, aerosols and gels regulations."

From the "Hazardous materials policy":
We want to help you avoid carrying anything onboard that violates U.S. Federal Law because violators are subject to imprisonment of up to five years and penalties of $250,000 or more.

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; Jul 19, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
If contacted by the FAA, I would not offer this information. I have been involved in some of these enforcement proceedings and the fact that you have transported in this manner in the past would not be considered a justification or a mitigating factor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.