Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kudos to AA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Kudos to AA

I just wanted to give a well deserved kudos to AA for a situation on 7/3. I was on a flight PHL-SLC that was severely delayed due to thunderstorms. We ended up leaving almost 4 hours late. While I wish they did better in the operations communications department (rolling delays every 15-20 minutes rather than realistic delay announcements), I think the ground staff did very well. About 2.5 hours into the delay, they brought out snacks, drinks and sandwiches for everyone.

Then, most importantly, once we were up in the air and I was talking to the FA, apparently the entire crew also timed out. However, they decided as a crew that they were going to go past their hours and staff the flight any way so that we could get to our destination. They definitely did not have to do this. They easily could've just taken the Philly hotel at around 10 PM EST rather than a Salt Lake City hotel at 2 AM MST. However, they really went above and beyond to help out the passengers.

I've sent in my thanks to AA and gave each of the crew those certificates AA gives elites every year.
AANYC1981, wrp96 and alanjhett like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:49 am

Uh, I hope you have a different definition of timed out than me. I'd hate to see a crew flaunting the safety regulations and flying when they've timed out.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Bttc
Uh, I hope you have a different definition of timed out than me. I'd hate to see a crew flaunting the safety regulations and flying when they've timed out.
They have a certain amount of time where if they want they can say they are out of hours, and the airline can't force them to fly, but still be within the allowed hours by the FAA. So they weren't violating the FAA rules, they just made a decision as a crew to go above their contractually required hours.
alanjhett and jacobguo like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
They have a certain amount of time where if they want they can say they are out of hours, and the airline can't force them to fly, but still be within the allowed hours by the FAA. So they weren't violating the FAA rules, they just made a decision as a crew to go above their contractually required hours.
But, they if they decided to not fly, they would lose money. So, possibly it was a financial decision and not a customer service one.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It's the dispatchers that make the decision about staffing a flight particular during IRROPS. The crew can't just decide to fly it if they've officially timed out. My guess is that if they truly were not "legal" to fly, the dispatchers wouldn't have been able to use them and would have either found another reserve crew or canceled it outright. They needed that plane in SLC to bring back another load of passengers too, so there are the ripple effects of nixing a flight to a station with minimal service.

What matters about this thread is that the airline made some generous accommodations (the food) during the extended ground delay caused by mother nature, and they ran the flight and got people to their destination safely and professionally.
FlyingPenguin and jacobguo like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I agree wholeheartedly about the rolling delays. I wonder if operationally that helps them keep a departure slot, but regardless it's a pain. Especially for those with lounge access who could go be somewhere more comfortable if they know it's an hour+.

And I'm glad you got off the ground - I've had the polar opposite experience (watched the replacement crew saunter over and the pilot refuse to start boarding while he finished preflight checks, then come out after 20 minutes and say "oops timed out!").
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Sadly my experience a couple of weeks ago was more typical. My 772 DFW/ MIA Flight went mechical. GAs ignored the paxs. I knew the chances of finding a spare 772 at that time of day were slim. Even AC couldn’t get any info. Finally had the AC route me DFW/LAX/MIA to get home as everything else was sold out. However upon telling the FA on my DFW/LAX Flight what happened she was generous with wine (sitting in Y). Of course no compensation for getting home 10 hours late.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
But, they if they decided to not fly, they would lose money. So, possibly it was a financial decision and not a customer service one.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:38 am

Rolling delays are pretty common in my experience. Every ~30 minutes the departure time is pushed back 30 minutes
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Sadly my experience a couple of weeks ago was more typical. My 772 DFW/ MIA Flight went mechical. GAs ignored the paxs. I knew the chances of finding a spare 772 at that time of day were slim. Even AC couldn’t get any info. Finally had the AC route me DFW/LAX/MIA to get home as everything else was sold out. However upon telling the FA on my DFW/LAX Flight what happened she was generous with wine (sitting in Y). Of course no compensation for getting home 10 hours late.
Did you write into customer relations? I'm sure you'd get some sort of credit (miles or voucher) for a 10-hr delay due to maintenance. AA won't proactively credit you, but you should write in and explain your experience before saying "of course no compensation".
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
If only GNRMatt's experience was the norm during long delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.