Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Return to Gate to Unload Passanger on Wrong Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

On AA2560 MIA-SAL right now and returning to gate to unload passenger who meant to go to PHL! This is in top the flight already being delayed almost 1 hour because of maintenance. How does this happen? The Passenger is clueless and both GA and system obviously failed. I would have thought the flight would take off and AA would deal with the clueless passenger without inconveniencing so many others. Oh well. Will definitely write to AA about this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:23 pm

Why would they take off to a location where a passport (and potentially other documents) are needed with a passenger who most likely would not have those documents (unless their PHL was a connection to an INTL flight) and risk being fined?
C17PSGR, GWFan, CPRich and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Because checking passports with boarding passes was part of the boaridng process, everyone on the plane should have had a passport. I guess it just points the finger at a sloppy incompetent GA if they boarded without a passport.

Then again, its MIA, so I shouldn't be surprised. Crew will probably time out with a scheduled departure of 9:11pm now. Shows as diverted to MIA in the system.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 15, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FAA1996
On AA2560 MIA-SAL right now and returning to gate to unload passenger who meant to go to PHL! This is in top the flight already being delayed almost 1 hour because of maintenance. How does this happen? The Passenger is clueless and both GA and system obviously failed. I would have thought the flight would take off and AA would deal with the clueless passenger without inconveniencing so many others. Oh well. Will definitely write to AA about this.
There are penalties associated with taking a passenger who shouldn't have been going. the visa/passport situation as well. There was a flight to NRT from LA a bit ago that flew halfway and turned around due to a situation like this.

Obviously a giant screwup, but the above is why they didn't just fly the pax to SAL and deal with them later.

I will admit to boarding DFW-MSP instead of DFW-DTW at 6 am once. in my sleepy state I went to the wrong gate. I still do not know how the GA let me through. I was seated, had my jacket hung etc. and only realized when the pilot did his "welcome aboard AA 1234, nonstop service to Minneapolis-St Paul" speech. Odd.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

We left the gate and taxied for a good 15 minutes before they announced our return to the gate. Oh well, wonder if GAs get into some sort of trouble for letting this happen.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
The passenger shouldn't be called "clueless". We all deal with people that aren't experienced flyers each time we travel. The ONLY party to blame here is the airline. I'm curious as to how it was discovered she was on the plane. I'm guessing the PAX made an FA aware?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
The passenger shouldn't be called "clueless". We all deal with people that aren't experienced flyers each time we travel. The ONLY party to blame here is the airline. I'm curious as to how it was discovered she was on the plane. I'm guessing the PAX made an FA aware?
She?
reeg2 and ezefllying like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:37 pm

There is the lovely story -- quite possibly apocryphal -- about the passenger with very limited English who was to connect at LAX from Asia for his/her flight to Oakland. S/he board an Auckland flight instead and made inquiries when the flight was a couple of hours over the Pacific as to why the plane had not landed.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Not a big deal, just a couple of hour delay in the end, but a bit frustrating. The passenger was literally clueless, with no knowledge or awareness of where they were or what was happening at the gate, during boarding, and for the first 15 minutes after we left the gate. Really the airlines' system and GA fault, not trying to to blame the passenger and will drop a note of to AA. Safe travels.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by catcher1
She?
Very good point. I actually thought I had seen a feminine pronoun in the OP. Thank you for the correction.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by observer
There is the lovely story -- quite possibly apocryphal -- about the passenger with very limited English who was to connect at LAX from Asia for his/her flight to Oakland. S/he board an Auckland flight instead and made inquiries when the flight was a couple of hours over the Pacific as to why the plane had not landed.
I saw ... I suppose not the same passenger if you have it right, but it was an all-American backpacker-type guy who then was invited onto the Johnny Carson show in the 1980s. He flew from London to LAX on NZ; the agent said "If you're continuing to Auckland, go this way." He took it as Oakland, where he was going, and wound up on that flight.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Was this a wheelchair pax? Seen this happen with wheelchair and Jetblue almost put my mom on the wrong flight once.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on the passenger's nationality and other details, a passport might not satisfy travel document requirements for entry. There could be conditions such as visa required, health requirements (yellow fever card depending on previous travel?), passport expiration date, onward travel documentation, etc. Having a passport might be enough for one international destination but not for all places served by AA.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:28 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At JFK T8, gates 1,2 and 11,12 have a common initial corridor, but split later on; the bp check is done in the terminal. So if two flts are departing from say 11,12 at the same time* it is easy for pax to take the wrong fork "in the road"; they have an agent direct pax to the proper gate at the fork. But once the agent was directing pax to the wrong planes...
*it would be better if they staggered departures from these gates.

Last edited by nrr; Jul 16, 2018 at 5:18 am
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by nrr
At JFK T8, gates 1,2 and 11,12 have a common initial corridor, but split later on; the bp check is done in the terminal. So if two flts are departing from say 11,12 at the same time* it is easy for pax to take the wrong fork "in the road"; they have an agent direct pax to the proper gate at the fork. But once the agent was directing pax to the wrong planes...
*it would be better if they staggered departures from these gates.

I once encountered a similar situation at Dulles on a united flight. They were boarding Charleston, WV and Charleston, SC from the same gate, which then split out to the tarmac where you would walk to either plane. Made for some interesting confusion since both planes were going to "Charleston"
MSPeconomist and Pasqualle7 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.