Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA tells me Coke Zero is bad for me

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Years ago I was a passenger in a flight that suffered an in-flight emergency. It was frightening and lasted 5-7 minutes. Some passengers panicked, others were more calm, but we all wondered if we were in the "Is this it"? moment. Surely the flight attendants felt the same way, but they immediately took charge, putting their training into action, giving instructions in a calm, professional matter, doing their best to calm down those who were in panic, recruiting passengers who seemed capable to assist them in maintaining a measure of normalcy, all the while respecting the dignity of all those in the cabin.

I relate this only to put the topic of this thread into context. I gained great admiration for flight attendants that day. Whatever the motivation of the flight attendant who told a passenger that the soda wasn't good for him--humor, advice, small talk--it does seem to me that those who consider this to be a serious offense, or an offense at all, should ponder whether they may just be a bit too self absorbed.

Being self absorbed is not good for the health. Or for others around you.
SpencerRSW and Uncle Nonny like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
At least the FA is honest!

I'd probably respond that pretty much everything inflight is bad for me, but I'll have them anyways. Can't outlive my retirement savings!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by chongcao
We all know AA FAs do not have a career,
I know many who would disagree with that statement.

Coke Zero is not bad for your health. ... 3 cans of Coke Zero in 5 hours is excessive.
Do you make these statements based on your many years of practice as a nutrition expert? Physician? Unless I have the expertise to back it up, I tend to stay away from that type of blanket statement, -- too easy to get into trouble that way.

If the FA remember that you are having the third can and reminded you by saying it is not good for you. I would say that it is damn good service! And least the FA cares and remembers what was served to you. That is what we call personal touch.
Agree completely! Wish there were more of that on AA.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

Agree completely! Wish there were more of that on AA.
Disagree completely. See, this is where many Asian/ME/European carriers put the US air carriers to shame. These would be some pretty great personable FA's if they said things like "That's you're third one, how do you like it?" and "Oh, that's one my favorites" or "Here's an extra cup/can because you like it so much"! Completely different from " do you really need another one? These things are bad for you! "

I don't understand how the aggressive defend AA by any cost people in this thread aren't getting the difference. I worked in food service for a while and if I didn't like a particular product we sold, I either kept silent, or if they asked for my honest opinion on it I said it wasn't my favorite but "such and such" was. Much better outcome than if someone ordered a Coke Zero and I said "This is bad for you, you shouldn't be drinking it".
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
But 3 cans of Coke Zero in 5 hours is excessive. That is 990ml of coke. Drink water, man.
I can easily drink 6 cans of Diet Coke in five hours. I'm also healthy as a horse. Your meaningless pontifications have no power here.
wrp96, canadiancow and DCP2016 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
"So is being a flight attendant."
Have a laugh together and enjoy your next Coke Zero.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Disagree completely. See, this is where many Asian/ME/European carriers put the US air carriers to shame. These would be some pretty great personable FA's if they said things like "That's you're third one, how do you like it?" and "Oh, that's one my favorites" or "Here's an extra cup/can because you like it so much"! Completely different from " do you really need another one? These things are bad for you! "

I don't understand how the aggressive defend AA by any cost people in this thread aren't getting the difference. I worked in food service for a while and if I didn't like a particular product we sold, I either kept silent, or if they asked for my honest opinion on it I said it wasn't my favorite but "such and such" was. Much better outcome than if someone ordered a Coke Zero and I said "This is bad for you, you shouldn't be drinking it".
A couple years ago I flew an international coach ticket on United (no status). I asked for a Goose Island beer during the drink service, since that beer is unique to United, and then another during the meal. I wasn't intending to drink more than 2 (and I'm sure that doing so is bad for me) but the FA working my aisle came by several times during the flight checking on people and would say things like "I see your beer is empty, I'll get you another" and even "I found another Goose Island in a different cart so I brought it for you!". This was a lightly loaded day flight and I would have expected the FAs to just disappear to the galley after the meal, but they kept passing through and our FA remembered exactly what everyone was drinking, providing refills for the whole flight. It was the level of service I expect in a *good* international business class, and we were on coach in freaking United.

If one of the US airlines could provide that level of service consistently they would be very successful. Think about it-- it's 2 years later and I still have very specific positive memories about that flight. Unfortunately for United it's not my only experience on their airline and I have no interest in moving my business...
JDiver, wrp96, canadiancow and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:10 am

I drink Diet Coke like it is going out of style (I dislike Coke Zero), maybe 5 cans or so a day. As a Physician, I know it is far from the healthiest drink in the world, but I enjoy it and there are far worse things out there that I could drink, so I am okay with my consumption of Diet Coke.

I twice has been told that my Diet Coke consumption is bad for me, once by my Gastroenterologist and once by a Flight Attendant, I take the Gastroenterologist's opinion seriously, I do not take the Flight Attendant's opinion seriously at all.

We ended up laughing about it as I responded to the Flight Attendant, neither was polishing off this meal which AA provided me which I am sure is high in salt and fat, but I ate it, so c'est la vie, may I have another Diet Coke and maybe a water for good measure.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I remember a time when it was hard to find bottled water on domestic flights of under two hours. That coupled with the extreme cost of purchasing water airside made diet soda a viable alternative for some of us. As far as the advice from the FA, seems rather silly given that just about every other drink on board, excluding bottled water, is far worse. I can’t figure out what the motive was here.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: CK or bust
If a remark about consuming copious quantities of Coke Zero, regardless of context or intent, is worthy of upsetting a frequent traveler's day then it's an excellent day in operAAtion land.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by no2chem
A FA on a JFK-SFO transcon told me Coke Zero is bad for me, and I don't know how to feel about it.
Well as the airlines like to point out to us, the FAs are "primarily there for your safety" so maybe he was extending his duties as it pertains to your health.

I wasn't there so I cannot comment on tone or inflection which may or may not have revealed the true nature of the comment (joking, half serious, dead serious) however I would hope that it was a joke. If you determined with 100% certainty that it was not a joke then it may be worth a brief complaint as it is not appropriate to seemingly judge a Pax for their choices. If you did complain though I am pretty sure the FA would say they were joking and AA would side with their employee in this case.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AA100k
That coupled with the extreme cost of purchasing water airside ....
You just bought an airline ticket for hundreds or thousands of dollars; and you're concerned about the "extreme" cost of purchasing water airside?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

To those who drink three or more cans of diet cola a day and believe that they are healthy as a horse, they should abstain for two weeks and reevaluate.
DenverBrian and muji like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by dayone
To those who drink three or more cans of diet cola a day and believe that they are healthy as a horse, they should abstain for two weeks and reevaluate.
36 ounces of straight rum can’t possibly be better for you.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
I drink Coke Zero, too. The other day I learned from a FA some yet untold story (in this thread).
CokeZero is a real pain when opening the can/bottle at cruise level (underpressure), even
worse than beer. If bottles, some FA might even prepare the flight by opening and closing bottles
prior to takeoff, which obviously wont go with cans.

So maybe the sentence in FA's head went like: "no, not this spilling again" (and that's why you
wont get a closed can).
That does not match my experience. And I drink more Coke Zero than anyone in this thread has admitted.

Diet Coke foams up and spills. Coke Zero does not.

I had numerous cans given to me on a flight yesterday. The only spill was when the FA decided to pour it for me. The other 10 pours (a can lasts quite a while in small glasses with ice and sometimes rum) were just fine, with barely any foam.

Either way, I'd feel the same way as the OP. You want to cut me off after my 20th beer on a 2 hour flight? Fine. Don't comment on my non-alcoholic consumption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.