FA tells me Coke Zero is bad for me

Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:22 pm

I don't think FAs should be patronizing. But other than that, I really don't mind if they engage in minor small talk. Do you guys really feel better when being served by corporate drones? What passes as an issue these days...
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:59 pm

Location: Bellevue, WA, USA (and sometimes Melbourne, VIC, Australia)
Programs: UA, AS, Starwood, Marriott
I think it wouldn't be out of line to send feedback to AA, using the "suggestion" category rather than "complaint," to say it would be good to remind FAs that unsolicited health advice is seldom appropriate or appreciated. Asking an adult passenger whether they really need a requested non-alcoholic beverage followed by "These things are bad for you!", even if done with the best of intentions, can easily come across as being patronizing, not to mention a little weird--if they're "bad for you," why does AA serve them?

I would also be inclined to say that I realize the FA may indeed have had good intentions or perhaps was trying to be humorous and that I'm not writing to ask anyone be reprimanded.

I can imagine a passenger who's often subject to people's unasked-for advice might be more than a little offended at such a response to an innocuous request for a soft drink; perhaps polite feedback could help prevent that.

(Yes, yes, I know, employers don't give supervisors time to cover small issues like this so the suggestion would probably go nowhere, but I can pretend, can't I?)
muji, wrp96, canadiancow and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Four vodkas and an Ambien is okay. Three Coke Zeros is not okay.
Know your math.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just want to validate the OP's feelings. Yes, that comment was totally uncalled for. By any chance do you know was this a Miami-based flight attendant? (Seems unlikely on JFK-SFO, but you never know.)

It's hard to come up with a snappy comeback in the moment when you're so startled by the passive aggression of such a comment.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Just want to validate the OP's feelings. Yes, that comment was totally uncalled for. By any chance do you know was this a Miami-based flight attendant? (Seems unlikely on JFK-SFO, but you never know.)

It's hard to come up with a snappy comeback in the moment when you're so startled by the passive aggression of such a comment.
How about responding: "you know what, you're right, Coke Zero is bad for me. I'll have a regular Coke please! And some extra sugar packets you have for coffee too, just for good measure!"
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Gig103
I disagree. S/He is a flight attendant, not OPs doctor. Probably annoyed they needed to stop playing Candy Crush for a few minutes to provide the additional drink. (Not being facetious, I have gone to the galley and seen two of the FAs on their phones playing games).
I believe you have to read OP again - OP has indeed received the 3rd drink, simply not a full can.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: LH M+M
I drink Coke Zero, too. The other day I learned from a FA some yet untold story (in this thread).
CokeZero is a real pain when opening the can/bottle at cruise level (underpressure), even
worse than beer. If bottles, some FA might even prepare the flight by opening and closing bottles
prior to takeoff, which obviously wont go with cans.

So maybe the sentence in FA's head went like: "no, not this spilling again" (and that's why you
wont get a closed can).
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:15 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If he had said "oh, that's a good drink, perfect choice" would you be thinking about complaining?

He was just sharing his opinion and making small talk. As long as he gave it to you, I don't see the issue.

Standard procedure is for sales people to say positive things about their products in order to encourage customers to buy them, but of course since you aren't paying for the soda, that doesn't apply here.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you were being chatted up its just small talk.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:27 am
Suspended

It is in generally poor taste for an employee to bad mouth a product they offer and/or sell. Everything offered onboard an aircraft is there because of a contract or agreement, as such, employees who denigrate such a product are operating counter to their employer's wishes. It's also poor practice to criticize a customer's choice, scold, or otherwise guilt trip a customer about their choices.

It is worth a complaint, despite other comments in the thread about it not being a big deal. It's not the soda itself, it's the issue of employee behavior when the employee is the face of the company.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It is in generally poor taste for an employee to bad mouth a product they offer and/or sell. Everything offered onboard an aircraft is there because of a contract or agreement, as such, employees who denigrate such a product are operating counter to their employer's wishes. It's also poor practice to criticize a customer's choice, scold, or otherwise guilt trip a customer about their choices.

It is worth a complaint, despite other comments in the thread about it not being a big deal. It's not the soda itself, it's the issue of employee behavior when the employee is the face of the company.
I think the flight attendant could care less what United's wishes are. And just because there is a contract it means Coke Zero is good for you?

Actually, it is good sales' practice to criticize a customer's choice. Salespeople often upsell people, and as such it is beneficial to them to make the customer doubt whether or not they made the right choice (initially, by choosing something cheaper).
I hate rental car salespeople, but they often get customers to upgrade their vehicle choice (at great cost) or to add on unnecessary things (the equivalent of rust protection for used car salesmen). As such, they are "doing a good job" (for themselves)
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think the flight attendant could care less what United's wishes are. And just because there is a contract it means Coke Zero is good for you?

Actually, it is good sales' practice to criticize a customer's choice. Salespeople often upsell people, and as such it is beneficial to them to make the customer doubt whether or not they made the right choice (initially, by choosing something cheaper).
I hate rental car salespeople, but they often get customers to upgrade their vehicle choice (at great cost) or to add on unnecessary things (the equivalent of rust protection for used car salesmen). As such, they are "doing a good job" (for themselves)
The actual quality of Coke Zero is irrelevant here, as is the concept of the upsell because the FA was not attempting, so far as we can tell, to offer a non-free product instead.

All that it amounted to was an unsolicited criticism of the customer's choice, despite the relationship between the employer and vendor. If the airline had entered into a contract with Coca Cola, it intends to maintain the integrity of that contract and an employee discouraging the choice of the vendor's product. I would discipline any of my employees for publicly denigrating a partner's product, and I would discipline any of my employees for needless criticism of a paying customer. This is a business that has relationships with other businesses and requires happy customers, not shamed customers.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:52 am
Suspended

We all know AA FAs do not have a career, most of them end up working in the aircraft aisles for the whole of their life. We all know USA based FA are generally very casual, and sometimes to the extremely casual. And we all know USA based FAs are primarily for your safety and well being on board rather than providing first class services. So, what is the problem here?

Coke Zero is not bad for your health.

But 3 cans of Coke Zero in 5 hours is excessive. That is 990ml of coke. Drink water, man.

If the FA remember that you are having the third can and reminded you by saying it is not good for you. I would say that it is damn good service! And least the FA cares and remembers what was served to you. That is what we call personal touch.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts that violate the rules (ad hominem, posting about other posters, offensive characterizations of groups, snark, unhelpful, off topic, etc.) have been summarily deleted.

12 Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content

12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming
- link to this Rule

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Not sure why posts suggesting that this existing thread is maybe a more appropriate place to for this issue have been deleted?

What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

OP did, after-all, ask the forum for our opinions.

Originally Posted by no2chem
Anyway, just curious what others think.
And mine is that this is pretty much the definition of a least-substantive thing that one might complain about. FA was making small talk.
SpencerRSW likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.