Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why does AA print their boarding passes on ticket stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does AA print their boarding passes on ticket stock?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
I smile every time I hear the dot matrix ones printing away at the gate
At least those are for the manifests, lists and such, and not the BP's like they used to be. After the PI merger, US installed dot matrix printers that handled both the BP's and baggage -- one stock was the boarding pass and the other were fold-over paper luggage tags. That was fun to listen to for every single passenger and bag.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Can't wait to see you featured on the next episode of Hoarders.
Hahahaha.

Only thing I collect actually. Well, I used to collect safety cards as a kid (ask nicely and the FAs used to always find a spare to give me). I'll see if I can upload a picture of a stack of the BPs though.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I wonder if the "AA is too cheap to use white stock" people are aware of what US BPs used to be printed on. Y'all want to go to SHARES?

In all seriousness I assume AA IT have got far more important things to worry about than whether their printed boarding passes have a proper 2010s aesthetic.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Antarius
I use mobile to actually board, but get a printed one to add to the collection.

Basically it's a novelty item with no intrinsic value these days.
Given the % of my trips that are with various partners, and given what % of said trips I need to ask for credit after the fact, the paper BPs are quite valuable.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Given the % of my trips that are with various partners, and given what % of said trips I need to ask for credit after the fact, the paper BPs are quite valuable.
One of the few times I ensure that I have a paper boarding pass is when a partner flight is involved, for the reason you mention.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by superweak
In all seriousness I assume AA IT have got far more important things to worry about than whether their printed boarding passes have a proper 2010s aesthetic.
Like working around the clock to make it where SWU’s only get you into PE
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
They still do paper vouchers sometimes. I got one 6 months ago. Forget about 2010s aesthetic. This was straight out of the 1970s - full with the mail it in or ticket at a ticketing counter bonus experience.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I wonder if the "AA is too cheap to use white stock" people are aware of what US BPs used to be printed on. Y'all want to go to SHARES?
Yeah, this may be one of the first recorded cases of FlyerTalkers wishing something had been done the LUS way instead of the LAA way. ...At least as long as you limit it to the white card stock and not Shares as a whole.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
On the “card stock” boarding passes I’ve seen them as both blue and green from AA. Does the color mean anything, or is it just whatever supply was available that day?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
UA bumped me over to AA this afternoon when it became clear UA couldn't get me from DCA to MEM tonight and staring at my AA BP for the last few hours I've wondered about this.

It was "quaint" the first time I flew AA in my adult life (around 2003 maybe) and now it seems positively a historical artifact. They're using the same IER/Sato/etc SITA-compliant thermal printers UA (and just about every other airline in the developed world) is using so it's not a "capability" issue. They've vlearly tweaked the template to e.g. add TSA PRECHK, seating group numbers, the cabin name, etc. So it's not something so baked that it can't be changed, and as SITA-compliant it should be relatively easy to change the PECTAB... So there must be a non-technical reason for continuing to use the ATB2 stock two decades after the introduction of eTicketing and over 10 years after IATAs "simplifying the business" inititaive phased out paper tickets for all but extremely rare cases.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of ATB2 stock -- it "feels" so much more official than the UA/WN stock, bit it also feels a bit like an antique.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
The green is thicker and has the magnetic strip on the back for the pre-QR code gate scanners ... remember those?!?!

I prefer AA’s pass because it has much more info than many other carriers boarding passes ... including booking class, issuing agent/place, and ticket number and coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.