Seat Availability - J1, D1, I1

Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Seat Availability - J1, D1, I1

Not sure if this belongs here or on ExpertFlyer thread ---

If I see:
J 1 D 1 I 1

Does that mean 1 ticket available, or 3 tickets available (1 J fare, 1 D fare and 1 I fare)?
I think it's the former, but curious. If that's the case, I guess it means that for this particular flight, AA is happy to sell the last seat as an I fare? Whereas for other flights J 1 D 0 I 0 - That would be RM controlling for seats in lower fare classes, right?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
At this instant it means one ticket is available. You don't know that AA will terminate J1 if a D or I-bucket ticket is sold, however.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by no2chem
Not sure if this belongs here or on ExpertFlyer thread ---

If I see:
J 1 D 1 I 1

Does that mean 1 ticket available, or 3 tickets available (1 J fare, 1 D fare and 1 I fare)?
I think it's the former, but curious. If that's the case, I guess it means that for this particular flight, AA is happy to sell the last seat as an I fare? Whereas for other flights J 1 D 0 I 0 - That would be RM controlling for seats in lower fare classes, right?
Yep...1 seat left, and as you mentioned AA will sell it at a J, D, or I fare. If it was J1D0I0, then AA would be holding back the last seat for a full fare J ticket.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
At this instant it means one ticket is available. You don't know that AA will terminate J1 if a D or I-bucket ticket is sold, however.
Interesting. Purely academic, but I guess you're saying that I could buy one I ticket, and it could go to J1 D0 I0, probably meaning AA is willing to oversell J?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting. Purely academic, but I guess you're saying that I could buy one I ticket, and it could go to J1 D0 I0, probably meaning AA is willing to oversell J?
Hes not, really. It will likely go to J0 D0 I0. J1 D0 I0 means RM has ceased selling lower fares (which may mean theyve sold the quota of discounted fares RM established forbthat flight, or certain requirements have expired - such as APEX, etc.) But AA RM is arcane and proprietary, so well not know much for certain.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Theres one seat left. J will go to zero regardless of what inventory that seat is sold from. I suppose theres a chance AA could subsequently decide to overbook the flight, but unlikely.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Hes not, really. It will likely go to J0 D0 I0. J1 D0 I0 means RM has ceased selling lower fares (which may mean theyve sold the quota of discounted fares RM established forbthat flight, or certain requirements have expired - such as APEX, etc.) But AA RM is arcane and proprietary, so well not know much for certain.
My understanding is that inventory classes can continue to be "available" even if there are no applicable fares such as when it's too close to departure to satisfy advanced purchase requirements for all fares of that class.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that inventory classes can continue to be "available" even if there are no applicable fares such as when it's too close to departure to satisfy advanced purchase requirements for all fares of that class.
Yeah it has nothing to do with the fares that may be available to sell on that flight. Theres a very very very large number of city-pairs a pax could be booking on when looking at that particular segment. Just because there may not be any sub-14 day A/P I fares on JFK-FCO doesnt mean there arent on ORD-FCO, LAX-FCO, SEA-FCO, etc., all of which might include a leg on JFK-FCO. (Of course the airline can alternatively address this through married segment availability).

Also, someone may already have an I fare and be looking to change to that flight, which they can do even if there are no current valid I fares for sale, as long as there is inventory. If its J1 D1 I0 then they have to pay the fare difference to a J or D fare.
MSPeconomist and C17PSGR like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also a lot of airline inventory teams may close out lower classes on full flights regardless of the current fares in the market because of potential fares. There's usually a small to large communication gap between demand/inventory and pricing teams. If another carrier files a lower fare than currently in the market, the pricing analyst may match the fare. If I is open, you might all of a sudden have a selling fare where there wasn't before.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Possible if there is a First Class cabin
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Possible if there is a First Class cabin
Right, but it's most likely the authorization to overbook the J cabin was already factored in when the flight showed as J1. They could certainly re-assess after that goes to J0, depending on actual and expected F bookings, but I wouldn't expect it to be instant as that *probably* requires manual oversight from a revenue management analyst.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.