Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA adding MIA-HOU/GRR/PVD/RSW/BUF

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Nice to see MIA-RSW coming back. It helps out a lot with overseas connections.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by bosman
PVD will be a nice option to BOS. Will be interested to see how it prices relative to B6.
All I can say is that I hope they’ve only loaded some fares and that others are yet to come... just took a look at MIA to PVD for Dec 21 to 27 and it’s pricing at $2,165 in coach and $2,615 in first compared to BOS at $482 coach and $954 first for the same dates.

Even assuming other fare buckets open up at a more reasonable rate, the timing of the flights aren’t exactly great... the incoming flight lands at PVD at nearly midnight while the return flight would depart PVD at 6am... I’m sorry to say but I don’t see this new nonstop lasting very long.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by arabiamark
Nice to see MIA-RSW coming back. It helps out a lot with overseas connections.
I remember the ATRs on this route, which I actually kind of enjoyed. Glad to see this one returning.

Agree though regarding the PVD timing; 06:00 departure and a late return (almost midnight); ouch. Not to mention the A319, which is a tough upgrade. I'll definitely stick with the six or seven non-stops we have from BOS, LOL.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I hate to ask, but what routes are getting cut to make room for these new flights? Unless AA is adding new aircraft to its fleet.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I hate to ask, but what routes are getting cut to make room for these new flights? Unless AA is adding new aircraft to its fleet.
Fair question. At least with regard to the PVD flight, I have to assume there was a spare A319 that would overnight in MIA given the departure time from MIA.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by pmanchuk

All I can say is that I hope they’ve only loaded some fares and that others are yet to come... just took a look at MIA to PVD for Dec 21 to 27 and it’s pricing at $2,165 in coach and $2,615 in first compared to BOS at $482 coach and $954 first for the same dates.

Even assuming other fare buckets open up at a more reasonable rate, the timing of the flights aren’t exactly great... the incoming flight lands at PVD at nearly midnight while the return flight would depart PVD at 6am... I’m sorry to say but I don’t see this new nonstop lasting very long.
The flights are timed to connect to the primary Carribbean bank at MIA. The flights leave MIA between 10 and 11 am and return between 6 and 7 pm. The Caribbean is the primary market for the PVD/BUF flights since the domestic yields are generally trash thanks the the heavy LCC/ULCC presence between these cities and Florida.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by dls25
The flights are timed to connect to the primary Carribbean bank at MIA. The flights leave MIA between 10 and 11 am and return between 6 and 7 pm. The Caribbean is the primary market for the PVD/BUF flights since the domestic yields are generally trash thanks the the heavy LCC/ULCC presence between these cities and Florida.
I can appreciate the concept of this being timed to cater more to connections through MIA to the Caribbean, but I still believe this will be a hard sell to fill unless the prices are at least $50 to $100 below the average fare out of Boston. "Convenience" factor or not (if someone lives closer to PVD than BOS), the fact is that at least with BOS, there are a slew of direct flights per day down to MIA so in the worst case scenario if something gets delayed/cancelled which is of course a much higher probability in the winter months when this new seasonal flight is operating, I know I'd much rather be sitting at BOS with the ability to get on the next flight out which may leave in an hour, rather than the next day.

But then again, some of AA's moves in the area leave me scratching my head - such as the ORH operations to PHL. I'd actually consider a connecting flight into ORH as it's ultimately more convenient to where I'm visiting when I'm up that way as compared to BOS, but for half the year (winter months) it's just too risky of a proposition. Personally I would have loved to see service to CLT, as that would have provided for a much more comfortable buffer so to speak (in the sense that it's far enough and south enough away from ORH that winter weather would be much less of risk to missed connections).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:02 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by MAH4546
All flights daily and start December 19th.
Great news and long overdue for Providence and Buffalo. I will continue to daydream that ROC/SYR/ALB are all in the queue.

Originally Posted by Antarius
Yes!

the superiority of HOU over IAH cannot be overstated.
I guess if you fly to Topeka every week and live in Galveston it's a fine airport. For everybody else, it's nothing to get excited about.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dls25
It looks like there are existing options from PVD to the Carribbean through CLT and PHL. Unless some of those flights are going away to make room for MIA?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfw
I guess if you fly to Topeka every week and live in Galveston it's a fine airport. For everybody else, it's nothing to get excited about.
If you fly AA and are Houston based, IMO, it is a far superior choice to IAH.

It is a small airport but easy to navigate, well laid out, baggage doesn't take 1+ hours to hit the carousel routinely.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
It looks like there are existing options from PVD to the Carribbean through CLT and PHL. Unless some of those flights are going away to make room for MIA?
PHL and CLT have no where near the breadth of Carribbean destinations MIA does, especially those not embracing mass tourism.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:54 pm

I can't imagine the 3 hour RJ flight GRR-MIA, that's getting brutal.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by autdi
I can't imagine the 3 hour RJ flight GRR-MIA, that's getting brutal.
I'd take an E175 (GRR to MIA) over a 737-800 or NEO any day of the week in any cabin of service... The longest E175 flights I can recall are ORDABQ, PHLIAH (many many times), and EWREYW (though on UA for the latter) and none of those flights stick out at being particularly bad. If anything, this is an ideal aircraft for the routing. CRJ200s are a different story entirely...
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I'd take an E175 (GRR to MIA) over a 737-800 or NEO any day of the week in any cabin of service... The longest E175 flights I can recall are ORDABQ, PHLIAH (many many times), and EWREYW (though on UA for the latter) and none of those flights stick out at being particularly bad. If anything, this is an ideal aircraft for the routing. CRJ200s are a different story entirely...
Perhaps I was in a particularly bad seat/plane then, CLT DTW was awful even in MCE. If there was padding on the seat I missed it, felt like fabric covered plywood. Hot cabin that never really did cool down in flight, couldn't keep the plane from heating up during taxi. Oddly, I was on a E190 ORD to DTW that was great several years back. I know those are going away, but greatly preferred it to the experience on the E175. Haven't been on a MAX, but mostly end up in MCE on the 321/737, so I probably won't notice the issues, the only lav I visit is on a widebody, continental travel no need, so again, don't experience the issue, not saying it's not real, just don't experience it.
Aliquot likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
It looks like GSP and TYS are also part of this new service expansion out of MIA in December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.