Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is the Oasis / MAX lavatory Air Carrier Access Act / ACA compliant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new 737 MAX 8 is equipped with new Rockwell Collins Interior Design “advanced“ ultra slimline lavatories (29” in F, 24” in Y) (link). Under Project Oasis, 737-823 and two class Airbus A321 aircraft will be refitted with these lavatories and the Rockwell Collins Meridian ultra slimline seats.

Airlines must comply with the Air Carrier Access Act (not the Americans with Disabilities Act), which states single aisle aircraft are not required to have ACAA compliant accessible lavatories.

CFR › Title 14 › Chapter II › Subchapter D › Part 382 › Subpart E › Section 382.63 (link)

§ 382.63 What are the requirements for accessible lavatories?
(a) As a carrier, you must ensure that aircraft with more than one aisle in which lavatories are provided shall include at least one accessible lavatory.

(1) The accessible lavatory must permit a qualified individual with a disability to enter, maneuver within as necessary to use all lavatory facilities, and leave, by means of the aircraft's on-board wheelchair.

(2) The accessible lavatory must afford privacy to persons using the on-board wheelchair equivalent to that afforded ambulatory users.

(3) The lavatory shall provide door locks, accessible call buttons, grab bars, faucets and other controls, and dispensers usable by qualified individuals with a disability, including wheelchair users and persons with manual impairments.

(b) With respect to aircraft with only one aisle in which lavatories are provided, you may, but are not required to, provide an accessible lavatory.
Print Wikipost

Is the Oasis / MAX lavatory Air Carrier Access Act / ACA compliant?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA thinks it's in an era where compliance alone is good enough for the people in back. AA configures Max 8s with 172 seats; there's a Max 8 version with additional exits that is certified for 200. Things can get much, much worse.

If there is a new lav size rule that goes into effect surely carriers will negotiate a generous transition period and then rip out a few seats where required. Until then...
Yes, If the DOT issues new guidelines airlines will have time to comply and refit their aircraft, The ADA law is almost 30 years old now, a lot has changed since then and laws are meant to be amended or changed to better suit the times. That's why the ADA act was passed and included "Compliance Committee's" to make adjustments. I usually sit in F when flying Domestic and the forward lav in any 737 is not at all roomier compared to what's in the back. In Fact it's worse for tall people since the curvature of the fuselage makes a tall person immediately tilt their head when entering. We live in a world where the average male is not 5'10" and 175lbs. I've noticed on International routes that both the A350 and 787 have tiny bathrooms compared to 777's. their tiny but more roomier than the 737's.

-Paul
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Paul510
Yes, If the DOT issues new guidelines airlines will have time to comply and refit their aircraft, The ADA law is almost 30 years old now, a lot has changed since then and laws are meant to be amended or changed to better suit the times. That's why the ADA act was passed and included "Compliance Committee's" to make adjustments. I usually sit in F when flying Domestic and the forward lav in any 737 is not at all roomier compared to what's in the back. In Fact it's worse for tall people since the curvature of the fuselage makes a tall person immediately tilt their head when entering. We live in a world where the average male is not 5'10" and 175lbs. I've noticed on International routes that both the A350 and 787 have tiny bathrooms compared to 777's. their tiny but more roomier than the 737's.

-Paul
ADA has no “jurisdiction” over commercial airlines.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:24 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Has anybody (i.e.the ACLU) challenged this in court? It is a good point that the OP makes.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfw
Has anybody (i.e.the ACLU) challenged this in court? It is a good point that the OP makes.
Thanks CFW, like most things in our society until something is challenged on a legal basis it never gets changed. Who knows a good lawyer to start a class action suit? Modern airline bathrooms are inhumane treatment to passengers and therefore are violating our civil rights when we need to use a bathroom on an airplane.

-Paul
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:04 pm

Modern airline bathrooms are inhumane treatment to passengers and therefore are violating our civil rights when we need to use a bathroom on an airplane.
-Paul
C'mon REALLY?
bse118 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Yes Really-

Forbes is not really know as an anti-corporate news outlet and here is what they think.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielr.../#124c5e105fc2
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Modern airline bathrooms are inhumane treatment to passengers and therefore are violating our civil rights when we need to use a bathroom on an airplane.

-Paul

Yes Really-

Forbes is not really know as an anti-corporate news outlet and here is what they think.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielr.../#124c5e105fc2
That article basically says that the lavs are unpleasant, difficult to use, and uncomfortable (all true). But a long, long, way from "inhumane" and a "violation of civil rights." Let's not get carried away...

And nothing changes the fact that AA is violating no existing law, certification requirement, or regulation with these lavs. Which supposedly was the pretext for the OP to start this thread.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by econometrics
There's still a (slightly) larger lav in front of F. Since AA does not have a policy strictly against Y pax using the F lav, any special needs pax (disability or oversized person) could use the forward lav.
Actually, any passenger could use it
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:53 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
The vast majority of US domestic flying is on narrowbody aircraft, which do not require an accessible lavatory under the ACAA. I hope that some point in the next few years, Americans realize that "if you're not able to use what's provided, just plan to not use the lavatory for 5+ hours" is an unreasonable request for a lot of people.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VFR
The vast majority of US domestic flying is on narrowbody aircraft, which do not require an accessible lavatory under the ACAA. I hope that some point in the next few years, Americans realize that "if you're not able to use what's provided, just plan to not use the lavatory for 5+ hours" is an unreasonable request for a lot of people.
Disabled folks only fly on intercontinental flights.
VFR likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The oasis lav

Sitting in 8F today normally I would just use the F lav but it was busy so I trekked all the way back. What the foxtrot was AA thinking when they installed these bathrooms? Yeah I know an extra row of two of seats but these lavs are almost unusable due to their tiny size. Washing your hands will immediately put water all over the place. There is barely enough room to move around. I can’t imagine how POS can effectively use this lav.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:51 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
This isn't an issue related to AA-several airlines have chosen this specific type of lavatory for their 737 MAX fleet/737 retrofits. I am not sure if it is the same lavatory (I think it might be) but DL also installed a similar lavatory in the rear of their Airbus narrow body fleet.

AA added a feature to the water spigot to cut down on the spray effect.
freeagent likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
AA just wants to give fliers of its 737 MAX the same experience they get at their CLT terminal latrines..... At least only one person can use the latrine at a time on the 737 MAX so nobody can urinate on your shoes, which can easily happen at a urinal at CLT from the guy shoulder to shoulder next to you.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I used the aft lav on my last flight and found it to be better than the F lav. Yes, it's narrow. But at least I can stand up and not hunch over while doing my business!

I miss the MD-80 F lav...
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Spanish
I miss the MD-80 F lav...
I miss the MD-80!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.