Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can I skip a leg of trip due to weather / OSO / IROPS?

Can I skip a leg of trip due to weather / OSO / IROPS?

Old Jul 10, 18, 8:39 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 86
Can I skip a leg of trip due to weather / OSO / IROPS?

So here was the situation. Had a multiway trip this week. ORD-CLT-PNS-CLT-RDU-ORD

Sunday night my CLT-RDU leg was cancelled due to weather; next flight option was the next motning. I asked if I chose to rent a car to go to Raleigh, would my RDU-ORD leg still be good. I was told "no" I would need to rebook at current costs. Is this a change in policy. I can remember driving short legs before and being able to continue on the itinerary. Talked to multiple agents and got the same answer.


Thanks,
WearyTravellerMSP is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Posts: 1,112
My reaction is the Agent is right. Once you bust an itinerary, it can't be put back together.
Remember a number of threads from years past of people who found that out - the hard way.
reeg2 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:07 am
  #3  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Posts: 5,834
Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
My reaction is the Agent is right. Once you bust an itinerary, it can't be put back together.
Remember a number of threads from years past of people who found that out - the hard way.
I am interested to hear from someone with more expertise. It has been too long (fortunately) since I have had this type of situation. But it seems that where there is a cancellation it should be possible/allowable.
sbrower is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:43 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Land of 10,000 Upgrades
Posts: 9,465
It can be done. Whether it will be done is another matter.
UpgradeMe is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:53 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Posts: 2,989
Yeah, it CAN be done is right. I had a TYR-DFW-LHR flight in Feb 2015. Two nights in a row the TYR-DFW leg was canceled due to an ice storm, but the DFW-LHR went out 1 of those nights.

The 3rd night, again the TYR-DFW was canceled. I called EXP desk and said I am driving to DFW to fly to LHR. They first said I could not do that unless the flight was actually canceled. I had speculated it would be, and I was right. It canceled right as I called the EXP desk.

Drove to DFW, got on to LHR without any issues.
econometrics is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:55 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,438
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP View Post
So here was the situation. Had a multiway trip this week. ORD-CLT-PNS-CLT-RDU-ORD

Sunday night my CLT-RDU leg was cancelled due to weather; next flight option was the next motning. I asked if I chose to rent a car to go to Raleigh, would my RDU-ORD leg still be good. I was told "no" I would need to rebook at current costs. Is this a change in policy. I can remember driving short legs before and being able to continue on the itinerary. Talked to multiple agents and got the same answer.
Thanks,
HUCA. I see no reason for them to not let you do this. The flight was canceled, it's not like a voluntary change. They should force you into staying in CLT overnight when you are supposed to be in RDU.
mvoight is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 10:10 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
It is all in how you ask the question. OP got the correct answer to the wrong question.

If OP asked the question exactly as stated in his post, when he failed to show up for the rescheduled flight (or whatever reroute AA books him on), that segment and any onward or return segments would be cancelled.

Nonetheless, as AA cancelled OP's flight, OP was entitled to cancel the segment itself (and obtain a refund to the original form of payment). That would not cancel the onward segment. But, caution dictates having the agent confirm this after cancelling the segment and then double-checking the next day.

Bottom line is that one can't simply no show.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 11:52 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,438
I remember doing this once around 1990, I think
Flying CO AUS-IAH-CUN. The IAH-CUN aircraft was actually on the tarmac at AUS due to a weather delay from CUN-IAH
My flight to Houston was delayed, and there was no guarantee it would get there before the IAH-CUN flight would take off.
So, we told the GA we were renting a car in order to not miss the flight to CUN. We rented a car, and shared with 2 other passengers who were also trying to catch the flight to CUN.
The AUS-IAH ended up getting to IAH too late for that IAH-CUN connection. So, not AA, but I suspect AA would allow the same. In that case, the flight wasn't evened cancelled.
We also got refunded for the leg we drove. No problem with the rest of the segments as we had told the agent before we left.
mvoight is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 12:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,739
Back in May I was driving from Central Wisconsin to Madison for a flight. My routing was MSN - ORD - PHX. About 10 miles from the airport, while still on the highway I received an alert that my flight was delayed 30 minutes. This put me at a tight connection (30-40 minutes if I recall). I decided to keep driving down to ORD - it's only a 2 hour drive and I would be able to arrive at ORD with 2 hours to spare. I immediately picked up the phone and called and explained that my MSN to ORD flight was delayed and I wanted to forgo that segment and just take the ORD to PHX flight. The agent did push back a bit as it wasn't a huge delay but I explained that I've done the flight quite often and I know that a 30 minute delay typically gets pushed back and I'd like to play it safe (not to mention you large roller boards can't go in the overhead). The agent did agree to make the change but stated there would be no compensation or refund for that segment which I agreed to. It did take the agent some time to get everything in order and I had to check in again for my ORD to PHX flight.

I've also done this the other way when going ORD to MSN. Those short flights are always quick to get cancelled, especially with weather.

So, it can be done but anytime you do this you HAVE to call. You can't just show up for your next flight and expect to board with no issue. I'd also say you need to be clear that you are calling to make the change rather than just showing up as OP seems to imply.

If you get an agent that says no I suggest you HUACA.
WiscAZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: