Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed - assault on AA flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Drop it. Let it go. Move on. Turn the page.
mvoight and CHOPCHOP767 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NYCommuter

I would send a legal demand letter to AA, demanding the person’s name, and let AA know that there will be legal action unless the name is given. This would take “legal intervention” (having a lawyer send the letter), but it would be only about an hour of work by a lawyer.
That is not how things work. AA will file your letter in the round bin.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Should I contact some federal agency on behalf of my friend about the unprovoked assault on a senior citizen who only wanted to use the restroom?
It is a question only your friend can answer. If your friend is not looking for anything at all, then the contacting is practically moot.

Should we contact AA even though it is assumed they already know about the incident despite no formal complaint being made?
Because this incident was criminally related, AA would simply defer the incident back to the law enforcement before doing anything. Again, unless your friend is looking for something, don't bother.

Does DOT have authority over this or do federal elder abuse laws have jurisdiction?
FBI has the jurisdiction. And this is not an abuse.

Given the behavior of the bully, it is likely that he has exhibited similar aggression in the past to other senior citizens. The bully could very well do it again to another senior citizen on AA or another airline or elsewhere.
This is where I have to make a pause. This incident is insufficient to draw such conclusion.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
You can see how many, including myself, took your posts to indicate a litigious response to the incident...

Still, I cannot see AA doing anything with this complaint against another passenger at this point. Crew, maybe? Passenger, most assuredly not.
I already wrote, several times, that my friend is not looking for money by pursuing this matter.

AA is not expected to do anything except release the name and contact information of the bully. AA did nothing wrong - plain and simple!.

After the name of the bully is obtained, My friend will file a complaint for battery against the bully with an appropriate policing agency. There is no money involved by making a police report!

It is remarkable that many (fortunately, not all) people reached the erroneous conclusion that my friend's pursuit of this injustice is motivated by money.

I guess that is just how a lot of our society thinks these days.

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jul 9, 2018 at 10:24 pm Reason: clarify
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I guess that is just how our society thinks these days.
If you think all of society definitely is accurately represented by a functionally obsolete frequent-flyer message board, you've got much bigger problems than any of us can solve.

In any case, best of luck to your friend on his quixotic quest.
donotblink likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Sorry this happened sounds like a bully who was probably drinking too hard.

Sadly I think the time was to have a FA with a report step in so you could take legal action against him. Since that was declined it's too late I think. Let's say AA bans him, which i can't see , he will just fly on another airline. Not sure much can be done.

If you really want a shot I would contact AA and be super up front you are not looking for any compensation at all just to report him. They can maybe look into it. Sounds like it's more of a legal issue if he assaulted him then a AA issue. Best of luck, guy is probably a bully on land too sadly. If you contact a lawyer they can maybe file something and get the name to be able to press charges. Without a lawyer i doubt AA can release that for privacy/security concerns. I would contact a good lawyer if you choose to pursue this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I already wrote, several times, that my friend is not looking for money by pursuing this matter.

AA is not expected to do anything except release the name and contact information of the bully. AA did nothing wrong - plain and simple!.

After the name of the bully is obtained, My friend will file a complaint for battery against the bully with an appropriate policing agency. There is no money involved by making a police report!

It is remarkable that many (fortunately, not all) people reached the erroneous conclusion that my friend's pursuit of this injustice is motivated by money.

I guess that is just how our society thinks these days.
AA is NOT going to release the name of the passenger without a court order or at least a request from law enforcement.
There is NOT going to be any law enforcement action by the FBI or refusal of travel by AA for this man.
If it is not about money, nothing is left.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Take a look at the upgrade list on your next flight. You'll see the last three letters of the Passenger's name "SMI", for example for Smith, coupled with "J." for Jane. That's a pretty good indication of the type of information AA is willing release absent additional proceedings. The consensus regarding this and any other issue presented is pretty well settled.

Moving on...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
AA is NOT going to release the name of the passenger without a court order or at least a request from law enforcement.
There is NOT going to be any law enforcement action by the FBI or refusal of travel by AA for this man.
If it is not about money, nothing is left.
My friend can have his attorney obtain a court order under the circumstances.

"There is NOT going to be any law enforcement action by the FBI or refusal of travel by AA for this man."

And you know this - how?

I never said the FBI would get involved.

Where is this coming from?

I posted here to help a friend and to look for sound advice. I found a lot of what I was hoping to get.

I also found a lot of erroneous opinions and assumptions that centered around money and lawsuits that have nothing to do with this matter.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

"There is NOT going to be any law enforcement action by the FBI or refusal of travel by AA for this man."

And you know this - how?

I posted here to help a friend and to look for sound advice. I found a lot of what I was hoping to get.

I also found a lot of erroneous opinions and assumptions that centered around money and lawsuits that have nothing to do with this matter.
*Drops mic..........
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you know this - how?

Which law enforcement agency would you expect to handle this? I am unclear on what you are looking for. You said it wasn't money.
AA isn't going to stop the guy from flying after your friend decided a formal report wasn't worth the effort.
The FBI would be the agency responsible in this case, if you wanted to get law enforcement involved.
Are you saying you don't want law enforcement involved?
What exactly do you want?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Which law enforcement agency would you expect to handle this? I am unclear on what you are looking for. You said it wasn't money.
AA isn't going to stop the guy from flying after your friend decided a formal report wasn't worth the effort.
The FBI would be the agency responsible in this case, if you wanted to get law enforcement involved.
Are you saying you don't want law enforcement involved?
What exactly do you want?
You made a lot of assumptions assuming I know the answers to the questions you posed. One statement you made was incorrect.

My friend has not even returned to the U.S. yet. Nothing has been decided on what he will do.

As I said, I came here solely for advice about an incident that involved a friend.

The only thing that I know is that my friend is seriously considering seeing what criminal charges, if any, can be filed against the bully.

All those other statements and assumptions you made cannot be answered at this time.

You and I do not know what AA will do or what any police agency will do.

As I said, I am getting advice and in between some good advice something else came along.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For an incident where the only claim is that the person "elbowed" him , the total injury was a bruise and that there seems to be no evidence that could be shown that the person even did this , I think it is quite possible to infer what action the police would take
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

For an incident where the only claim is that the person "elbowed" him , the total injury was a bruise and that there seems to be no evidence that could be shown that the person even did this , I think it is quite possible to infer what action the police would take
I came here for advice for a friend.

I notice that your profile shows that you have more than 37,000 posts to Flyertalk forums and five posts alone to this one thread wherein I asked for advice.

Of your five separate posts, you did not offer advice, rather you repeatedly expressed skepticism.

Your opinions are duly noted - thank you
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You made a lot of assumptions assuming I know the answers to the questions you posed. One statement you made was incorrect.

My friend has not even returned to the U.S. yet. Nothing has been decided on what he will do.

As I said, I came here solely for advice about an incident that involved a friend.

The only thing that I know is that my friend is seriously considering seeing what criminal charges, if any, can be filed against the bully.

All those other statements and assumptions you made cannot be answered at this time.

You and I do not know what AA will do or what any police agency will do.

As I said, I am getting advice and in between some good advice something else came along.
You are correct, we do not know 100 percent what AA or any police agency will do, based on the REAL facts, which you admit you do not have.
In the absence of witnesses, and based on my experience and knowledge of US law enforcement practices in this country, I am reasonably sure I know exactly what the FBI will do given the facts as presented or inferred. Of course, you are free to call them and ask them what they might do. This is not a legal forum. I am not clear on what you are looking for, someone to agree with you or what the vast majority would do. I think the majority of us would drop us, if we had failed to pursue the issue when it occurred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.