Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport Expansion

AA and CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport Expansion

Old Jul 7, 18, 5:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PIT
Posts: 759
AA and CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport Expansion

Here's a good update/description of the completed "first segment" of the CLT Concourse A Gate expansion. Although AA won't use these gates, they will benefit from vacancies that occur as other airlines (UA, B6, WN,..) move here. Watch out JFK, CLT is on the move
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...214422939.html
perseus11 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 18, 7:24 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Posts: 2,932
JFK at least has multiple air carriers when things go wrong, and is a short Uber/taxi/shuttle ride away from LGA and EWR. Can't say the same for CLT, as seen with the PSA crisis.
DCP2016 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:09 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Posts: 309
Anyone on the inside know the opening date for the new expansion? (I know these arenít AA gates.) All the article says is Ďlate Julyí.
joeyE is offline  
Old Jul 8, 18, 9:04 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,133
Will new gates eventually lead to any of AA's OW partners coming to CLT?
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jul 9, 18, 10:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: Delta, AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold
Posts: 91
Hopefully this expansion adds some decent sit down meal options. Not nearly enough options for the traffic through that Airport.
Segments and GWFan like this.
Pack1620 is offline  
Old Jul 9, 18, 11:47 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CLT
Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by perseus11 View Post
Here's a good update/description of the completed "first segment" of the CLT Concourse A Gate expansion. Although AA won't use these gates, they will benefit from vacancies that occur as other airlines (UA, B6, WN,..) move here. Watch out JFK, CLT is on the move
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...214422939.html
From talking with folks at the airport information counter, Concourse A North will open this week. AA won't get much benefit as Delta will take over Concourse A with the exception of two gates. It would be nice if Delta opened a SkyClub to supplement the awful selection of lounges at CLT. It is hard to believe the AA clubs have no showers. But those with Priority Pass can use their free hour to take a shower at the Minute Suites near the restaurants between B and C concourses. By 2023, the connector to A North will sport 16 - 18 additional new gates.
salsa is offline  
Old Jul 9, 18, 12:01 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: RDU
Programs: AA CK
Posts: 1,934
Originally Posted by salsa View Post
From talking with folks at the airport information counter, Concourse A North will open this week. AA won't get much benefit as Delta will take over Concourse A with the exception of two gates. It would be nice if Delta opened a SkyClub to supplement the awful selection of lounges at CLT. It is hard to believe the AA clubs have no showers. But those with Priority Pass can use their free hour to take a shower at the Minute Suites near the restaurants between B and C concourses. By 2023, the connector to A North will sport 16 - 18 additional new gates.
Even with Priority Pass, Minute Suites charges for showers (I think it's $20).
dave_261 is online now  
Old Jul 9, 18, 12:35 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: CLT
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by salsa View Post
From talking with folks at the airport information counter, Concourse A North will open this week. AA won't get much benefit as Delta will take over Concourse A with the exception of two gates. It would be nice if Delta opened a SkyClub to supplement the awful selection of lounges at CLT. It is hard to believe the AA clubs have no showers. But those with Priority Pass can use their free hour to take a shower at the Minute Suites near the restaurants between B and C concourses. By 2023, the connector to A North will sport 16 - 18 additional new gates.
Having the two largest carriers at CLT actually duking it out for major routes is going to benefit a lot of passengers.

A is getting further expanded but so are E, C, and B. Destination CLT Projects The airport is aiming to be able to handle the same amount of volume as ATL today, 66ish million.
BarrenLucidity is offline  
Old Jul 9, 18, 2:02 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Platinum, DL UA
Posts: 313
If Iím not mistaken, I recently read that AA was getting 7 of the 13 gates at the old Terminal ďAĒ. Delta currently operates out of 6 gates in Terminal ďAĒ, so it doesnít appear that Delta will be acquiring any additional gates. Please correct me if Iím wrong.
plon likes this.
CLTRob is offline  
Old Jul 9, 18, 10:48 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC/CLT/LHR
Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by CLTRob View Post
If Iím not mistaken, I recently read that AA was getting 7 of the 13 gates at the old Terminal ďAĒ. Delta currently operates out of 6 gates in Terminal ďAĒ, so it doesnít appear that Delta will be acquiring any additional gates. Please correct me if Iím wrong.
AA will take over 7 of the gates in the existing concourse A after it gets renovated, so some time next year.
plon is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 6:24 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by plon View Post
AA will take over 7 of the gates in the existing concourse A after it gets renovated, so some time next year.

You sir are correct, AA has intentions to assume the entire old airport (less a few gates) it looks like and squeeze every other carrier in the A north expansion pitching to them a more modern CLT while giving AA more gates. As much as I hate CLT and LUS aircraft it shows CLT is dedicated to AA and will allow them to take over as much as they can.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...nce-at-cl.html

"Company president Robert Isom noted the airline recently gained access to seven more gates at the Charlotte airport that will begin service in the fall of 2019."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#37b5763614a2

" Over time, as the airport continues to expand Concourse A, American will gain access to some A gates, and the concourses it uses most will be widened, he said"

Also dont bet on CLT increasing TATL flights anytime soon.
Pasqualle7 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 6:37 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC, BOS
Programs: DL PM, UA PP, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7 View Post
You sir are correct, AA has intentions to assume the entire old airport (less a few gates) it looks like and squeeze every other carrier in the A north expansion pitching to them a more modern CLT while giving AA more gates. As much as I hate CLT and LUS aircraft it shows CLT is dedicated to AA and will allow them to take over as much as they can.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...nce-at-cl.html

"Company president Robert Isom noted the airline recently gained access to seven more gates at the Charlotte airport that will begin service in the fall of 2019."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#37b5763614a2

" Over time, as the airport continues to expand Concourse A, American will gain access to some A gates, and the concourses it uses most will be widened, he said"

Also dont bet on CLT increasing TATL flights anytime soon.
Any chance for an AC in old-A as it gets renovated?
SFTNYC is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 6:38 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7 View Post
You sir are correct, AA has intentions to assume the entire old airport (less a few gates) it looks like and squeeze every other carrier in the A north expansion pitching to them a more modern CLT while giving AA more gates. As much as I hate CLT and LUS aircraft it shows CLT is dedicated to AA and will allow them to take over as much as they can.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...nce-at-cl.html

"Company president Robert Isom noted the airline recently gained access to seven more gates at the Charlotte airport that will begin service in the fall of 2019."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#37b5763614a2

" Over time, as the airport continues to expand Concourse A, American will gain access to some A gates, and the concourses it uses most will be widened, he said"

Also dont bet on CLT increasing TATL flights anytime soon.
From what I hear once the A333 retirements begin their will be less Transatlantic Flying and not more
Cltfc is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 7:06 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by SFTNYC View Post
Any chance for an AC in old-A as it gets renovated?
I would have to hope so. If I were AA AC Planing I would recommend an overhaul of AC's at CLT being 80% of the passengers will be connecting which in my mind are the ideal AC Members. But also being they have 90% of the market share who cares about the lounges there in their opinion. AC's may make or break someone in say LAX or ORD, but not CLT.

Originally Posted by Cltfc View Post
From what I hear once the A333 retirements begin their will be less Transatlantic Flying and not more
I do know they are trying to bring in more 78X's but it looks like AA wants to dominate the US Domestic Market and use JV's built off OW. I have a feeling AA wants to reduce risk. If they allow JAL/ CX take TPAC, Qantas take Oceania, LATAM Latin (Central/South) America, AA North America, then you have BA with all TATL. The big hole is Asia/Africa/Canada but they could fill over time. This will allow each airline to focus on its own region and product which lowering competition will raise prices. I have a feeling this will be the next step for all airline alliances. True JV's shrinking airline reaches while increasing profit sharing. Now AA can focus on taking out Spirit rather than Air France and will let BA go head to head with them.

Could be wrong though just speculation but remember less is more.
fanger likes this.
Pasqualle7 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 7:13 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7 View Post
I would have to hope so. If I were AA AC Planing I would recommend an overhaul of AC's at CLT being 80% of the passengers will be connecting which in my mind are the ideal AC Members. But also being they have 90% of the market share who cares about the lounges there in their opinion. AC's may make or break someone in say LAX or ORD, but not CLT.



I do know they are trying to bring in more 78X's but it looks like AA wants to dominate the US Domestic Market and use JV's built off OW. I have a feeling AA wants to reduce risk. If they allow JAL/ CX take TPAC, Qantas take Oceania, LATAM Latin (Central/South) America, AA North America, then you have BA with all TATL. The big hole is Asia/Africa/Canada but they could fill over time. This will allow each airline to focus on its own region and product which lowering competition will raise prices. I have a feeling this will be the next step for all airline alliances. True JV's shrinking airline reaches while increasing profit sharing. Now AA can focus on taking out Spirit rather than Air France and will let BA go head to head with them.

Could be wrong though just speculation but remember less is more.
Sorry I wasn't clear but I was referring to CLT and not AA in the aggregate when I noted less international flying.
Cltfc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: