Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport Expansion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA and CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport Expansion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:29 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
LGA is awful, I will give you that. That stated, we don't need yet another thread on how much better PHL is than CLT so I will stop there.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Have you been to LGA lately? Or PHL? LOL

Have to say, even when crowded, CLT is one of the better AA hubs when connections are required.
Saying CLT is one of the better AA hubs is not really saying a lot. AA's hubs are worst of the legacy carriers, sans maybe DFW and MIA which are quite efficient and have decent amenities. CLT has become and absolute hot mess with the amount of traffic AA is cramming into that tiny airport. It's rare I am not waiting for a gate when pulling in and, as others have mentioned, taxi times out can be highly variable. As for the terminals themselves, it's to the point that I never even bother to try to use any of the concessions at CLT - too crowded. Even if they weren't crowded the options are kinda gross. Most eateries seem to serve variations of slop that is fried, slathered in BBQ sauce, carb heavy, or some combination of the three. Maybe one or two places are decent but in general the food is really low-brow. The AC is so outdated it's not even funny and I agree with everyone on here that they need one in the Port Authority terminal that is E and a larger option over near A/B.

At this point, much of what they are doing at CLT is lipstick on a pig.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Saying CLT is one of the better AA hubs is not really saying a lot. AA's hubs are worst of the legacy carriers, sans maybe DFW and MIA which are quite efficient and have decent amenities. CLT has become and absolute hot mess with the amount of traffic AA is cramming into that tiny airport. It's rare I am not waiting for a gate when pulling in and, as others have mentioned, taxi times out can be highly variable. As for the terminals themselves, it's to the point that I never even bother to try to use any of the concessions at CLT - too crowded. Even if they weren't crowded the options are kinda gross. Most eateries seem to serve variations of slop that is fried, slathered in BBQ sauce, carb heavy, or some combination of the three. Maybe one or two places are decent but in general the food is really low-brow. The AC is so outdated it's not even funny and I agree with everyone on here that they need one in the Port Authority terminal that is E and a larger option over near A/B.

Really there are two tiers of AA Hub Top: JFK, ORD, LAX, DFW, MIA, Bottom: CLT, PHL, PHX, LGA. The inherited LUS hubs are of a much lesser product. Its sad that AA is focusing on the LUS Hubs because they were more "cost effective" and that is reflected in the product the have.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
[...]
I'll take the lipstick

Sure, things could be better, but with what... 90% of flights in CLT, CLT isn't going to displaced any time soon within AA's system. Most of my EXP was through the Shuttle, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight. I guess we'll just have to stay tuned to the Terminal B AC renovation to see how that pans out.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA
A thread about CLT and there are still shots at PHL.

PHL's B and C terminal renovations are miles ahead of what CLT looks like these days. That being said, I've never had an issue connecting in CLT, other than fighting the crowds. Food options are pretty bad and could be improved, though.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Really there are two tiers of AA Hub Top: JFK, ORD, LAX, DFW, MIA, Bottom: CLT, PHL, PHX, LGA. The inherited LUS hubs are of a much lesser product. Its sad that AA is focusing on the LUS Hubs because they were more "cost effective" and that is reflected in the product the have.
Categorizing the LUS Hubs as 2nd Tier is quite disingenuous.The LUS Hubs were all developed by the exceptionally conservative USAir(ways) team.The AA Hubs were developed during the pre-bankrupt, long gone, super cash rich heydays of AA, when competition from LCCs was minuscule. IMO, from a passenger perspective, most areas of MIA are no better than PHL, neither are most areas of super huge DFW, same with ORD. JFK was the crown jewel of the pre-merger AA and continues to be so today. Maybe if pre-merger AA had the same "cost effective" focus on their Hubs, rather than building Taj Mahals, they'd still be in a standalone business, rather than bankrupt.

Mods should consider creating a new Thread, titled: "What do you hate about the new (merged) AA ? " and move any related comments to it. This continuous injection of AA/US hate into unrelated threads is creating a very negative aura, which is inconsistent with the historical values of FlyerTalk, at least IMO.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perseus11
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Categorizing the LUS Hubs as 2nd Tier is quite disingenuous.The LUS Hubs were all developed by the exceptionally conservative USAir(ways) team.The AA Hubs were developed during the pre-bankrupt, long gone, super cash rich heydays of AA, when competition from LCCs was minuscule.
Actually, AA never said they had hubs before the merger. They said they had "5 cornerstones", and even that count of 5 (including LAX) was fairly late in the game, I think much less than a decade before the merger. LAX was never considered a true "hub" for AA until recent expansion (especially to Asia) there, which came post-merger. Though that AA expansion at LAX had as much to do with expansion and reconfiguration of LAX itself as any decision by AA; AA needed more gates to be able to expand, especially to Asia, from LAX, and they didn't get those until the last couple years or so (when they gained access to some gates in the TBIT international terminal, along with airside connector between AA's T4 and TBIT), which coincidentally was post-merger.

With the exception of DFW, which gives the impression of having been been built solely by and for AA, AA often needs airport improvements at its hubs, which it is not totally in control of, to be able to make its own improvements at those hubs.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 13, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Are there any updates for the AC in B reno? I haven’t seen CLT mentioned in the AC news letter.

I checked in on this thread only because it looks like I’ll be looking at CLT connections in my future.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Let’s keep this thread focused on the CLT expansion, rather than rehashing yet more LUS/LAA debate. Thank you!

~Moderator
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Are there any updates for the AC in B reno? I haven’t seen CLT mentioned in the AC news letter.
Did you see post 27? It sounds like it may be a couple years off.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Did you see post 27? It sounds like it may be a couple years off.
The Club on B is currently closed for the forseforese future due to renovations. Supposedly the new club will "be more open".
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by firemandan9
The Club on B is currently closed for the forseforese future due to renovations. Supposedly the new club will "be more open".
Email I got from AA this week for my upcoming connection through CLT said "we look forward to welcoming you to a new Terminal B Admiral's Club in 2019."
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Will the new B AC have showers? Supposedly the CLT AC staff was told showers were coming but I wonder.... Doug Parker?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
With or without a CLT expansion - I try to avoid CLT in or outbound to/from DCA. If there’s crappy weather on the east coast it is lousy in both places. I would rather be stuck in ORD or DFW inbound, and outbound if things are bad I just go home from DCA. But if its early AM and the a/c has been here overnight and I go thru either DFW or ORD to points west I usually make it. CLT is not reliable in bad weather.

Whats annoying is AA booking for me fm DCA defaults almost always to the CLT connection. I have to try multi city instead and usually that works.

Last edited by AATrout; Jul 17, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:03 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by perseus11
Categorizing the LUS Hubs as 2nd Tier is quite disingenuous.The LUS Hubs were all developed by the exceptionally conservative USAir(ways) team.The AA Hubs were developed during the pre-bankrupt, long gone, super cash rich heydays of AA, when competition from LCCs was minuscule.
Mods should consider creating a new Thread, titled: "What do you hate about the new (merged) AA ? " and move any related comments to it. This continuous injection of AA/US hate into unrelated threads is creating a very negative aura, which is inconsistent with the historical values of FlyerTalk, at least IMO.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I feel the need to point out that the same exceptionally conservative USAir team has no problem overseeing (or being highly involved in) the billions in renovations at DFW alone, such as the ones at Terminal A, Terminal B, Terminal C (F?) and Terminal E, as well as the new video game suite and emergency room, happening in the post-WA high LCC competition era. And we are supposed to be excited that Charlotte is finally mulling the idea of doing something about the last remaining Quizno's in existence?

The issue is more likely the city of Charlotte itself. They are happy to have a hub when its questionable that they should, and their value prop to AA is being as cheap as possible. But nothing is stopping Charlotte from making itself better other than the fear of rocking the boat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.