Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport Expansion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA and CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport Expansion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cltfc
Sorry I wasn't clear but I was referring to CLT and not AA in the aggregate when I noted less international flying.
Yea but the AA aggregate is what will drive the limiting of AA TATL/ International flying from CLT.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DCP2016
JFK at least has multiple air carriers when things go wrong, and is a short Uber/taxi/shuttle ride away from LGA and EWR. Can't say the same for CLT, as seen with the PSA crisis.
How true this is. So many east coast AA regional airports feed CLT that the PSA crew scheduling issue in June affected nearly all AA's east coast air traffic. Because there were no available seats in any surrounding airports, I ended up driving 13 hrs from VA to FL during the fiasco. After contacting AA customer relations for a refund, I only received an apology and 15000 bonus miles.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Aren't the A333's going to be replaced with new wide-bodies? If the current transatlantic flights out of CLT weren't worth flying, why have they been around for several years. If they aren't worth flying, why not retire the B763's now and move the A333's to those flights?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by CLTRob
Aren't the A333's going to be replaced with new wide-bodies? If the current transatlantic flights out of CLT weren't worth flying, why have they been around for several years. If they aren't worth flying, why not retire the B763's now and move the A333's to those flights?
​​​​​​Yeah, I'm not sure about this either. They are pulling routes from JFK and throwing them in PHL. CLT make sense as a midatlantic INTL hub. Their moves right now seem to suggest CLT, MIA, ORD, PHL as regional INTL launch points. CLT and ORD are adding 33-40% more capacity and additional runways and CLT is the lowest cost airport in the nation in terms of passenger embarking.

Plus AA is on record as saying the PHL 332 fleet will "probably" move to CLT as they move their 767 fleet into PHL. They have 12 new dreamliners showing up in 2020 so that seems to suggest PHL will get 787s and then all of these 33Xs will be replaced with 787. On top of that one saving grace for INTL flights out of CLT just may be the 797 if it actually launches. CLT could easily support long range narrow body intl flightsand AA has already speculated as such.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:42 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Any chance for an AC in old-A as it gets renovated?
With only 7 gates over there, I can't imagine they'd pit a club there. But we all can dream!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Just my two cents, but even if AA had an inkling to build a club for so few gates (relative to how close the B club is), I'd much rather see them build a club over E (as has been talked about since E opened) than build one on A. I was perfectly happy walking from A to the B Club, even back when US used to have gates on A back in the day. I know YMMV though.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
Just my two cents, but even if AA had an inkling to build a club for so few gates (relative to how close the B club is), I'd much rather see them build a club over E (as has been talked about since E opened) than build one on A. I was perfectly happy walking from A to the B Club, even back when US used to have gates on A back in the day. I know YMMV though.
I know it's not too far - I was just thinking of how small the B club is for the amount of traffic it gets - unless it's being expanded as part of the concourse-widening project.

I agree one is probably needed in E given the number of E-E connections.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, Bonvoy Titanium
If they are going to add an AC, they should copy what they have at PHL in the F concourse. Maybe pop it up over the atrium at the split point by E9. E10, E11?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by loosecanyn
If they are going to add an AC, they should copy what they have at PHL in the F concourse. Maybe pop it up over the atrium at the split point by E9. E10, E11?
I'll take CLT connections over PHL any day of the week, but the lounge situation in CLT isn't ideal. I agree, another AC over by E would be great if only to alleviate the congestion issues at the C/D lounge, which IME is especially overcrowded during the evening rush.
IAHtraveler and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:36 am

Looks like the concourse just opened

Last edited by BarrenLucidity; Jul 12, 2018 at 5:52 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Very nice pics of the new concourse A... if only the rest of the airport could be so spacious!

I have a love/hate relationship with CLT. Being RIC based it's the most convenient airport to connect through for domestic trips, and typically not as badly affected by weather delays as other East Coast hubs, but it's an awful experience trying to fight the crowds on B, C or E concourse or the main Admirals Club at peak times. Food options are limited. Taxi times are unpredictable thanks to ramp congestion. And E to E connections are inconvenient with no AC nearby. DL through ATL doesn't feel nearly as crowded because ATL has so much more real estate.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I know it's not too far - I was just thinking of how small the B club is for the amount of traffic it gets - unless it's being expanded as part of the concourse-widening project.
From that angle I agree space could be a concern in the B Club, A lot of this will depend on how AA uses the gates in A, and overall how it changes their strategic use of all their gates. The impact might not be as rough on this end of the airport as others in the big picture.

That reminds me, has anyone actually seen official confirmation that they are widening B and C as part of any the existing project plans? I thought I read in a news article that was part of the end-caps being build on B/C in the mid 2020's, but now I can't even find that reference, and that doesn't show on the airport's development page Destination CLT Projects
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:42 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Thanks for the pics. I'm probably spoiled by DFW Terminal D, but honestly I was expecting more. Certainly though, I am glad they are trying to improve CLT.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:37 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by perseus11
Watch out JFK, CLT is on the move l
Great. CLT will finally be a tolerable airport for all but AA customers. Consider me thrilled!
wahooflyer and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Great. CLT will finally be a tolerable airport for all but AA customers. Consider me thrilled!
Have you been to LGA lately? Or PHL? LOL

Have to say, even when crowded, CLT is one of the better AA hubs when connections are required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.