Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

At 300,000 EQM Choose Your Reward (2 SWU, 40k RDM or gift Plat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold

Just got this in my inbox a few moments ago

Which one will you choose?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Mine is slightly different as I'm already past 200k.

Thank you for being one of our very best customers, and congratulations on earning 2 systemwide upgrades by reaching 200,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs).

And now, as a special promotion this year, we’re giving you the opportunity to choose your reward if you reach 300,000 EQMs by December 31, 2018:
  • 2 systemwide upgrades
  • Gift AAdvantage® Platinum status to another member
  • 40,000 bonus miles
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:24 pm

I am wondering if when AA has meetings in the AAdvantage dept and discuss analytics and promotions whether there is any type of adult supervision in the room.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:54 pm

from what I've been told, the sales and marketing department are working on a few different projects and we should stay tuned... hoping for something better the next time around
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat
This seems like a really weak offer for someone who essentially spends their life on an AA plane.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:55 pm

Yup. I got the announcement and will be eligible to "choose my reward" in a few weeks. Can't say any of those 3 rewards are enormously exciting.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I guess this is sort of a formalization of what has existed in previous years with extra SWUs, but the Platinum status is probably the most valuable here.

Really though, I'm on track to hit 300k EQM but won't rush for this. Maybe if 300k EQMs gave CK status!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:30 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
I guess this is sort of a formalization of what has existed in previous years with extra SWUs, but the Platinum status is probably the most valuable here.!
Really? PLT status is worth anything? A few extra RDM's, but notmany benefits. If you're flying that much AA, I wouldn't consider it even in premium abins as the other options are so much better, SWU's would be useful, unless you're springing for J or F.
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rbAA
Really? PLT status is worth anything? A few extra RDM's, but notmany benefits. If you're flying that much AA, I wouldn't consider it even in premium abins as the other options are so much better, SWU's would be useful, unless you're springing for J or F.
it's not for you. It's for someone else. So giving PLT to a SO, friend, family member etc. Could be better than 2 more SWUs. Again, depends on circumstance.

but yes, for 300k EQM, these selections are as paltry as the onboard wine choices.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
it's not for you. It's for someone else.
Indeed, the letter of the email prevents you from giving it to yourself. Which got me thinking. I wonder if there are any folks who have 300k+ EQM without much status. Given how little of a TATL ticket goes to EQD, I imagine there might be a traveler who dutifully flies roundtrip JFK-LHR in Y on a weekly basis (ouch) and ends up with 350k EQM -- but not even enough EQD to make Gold. Pretty sad that such a flyer couldn't gift himself Platinum!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Copycat Parker taking what Delta does but diluting it. "Gifts for elites? Triple the EQM during implementation".

(Yes I'm just being a cynic, it isn't like I have that sort of elite status with any carrier. Just don't like what Parker is doing to AA in general so I'm taking it out on Aadvantage)
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:15 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Antarius
it's not for you. It's for someone else.
Yes, I know that. Still not worth as much as the other options, which are not worth much either: 40k AA may get you a FC award domestically or the two SWU's may come in handy if you're flying 300k EQM's on AA, which is brutal unless you're doing it in J or F or better yet on a OW partner in premium cabin.Then you wouldn't need those of course. It depends on what you like.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Indeed, the letter of the email prevents you from giving it to yourself. Which got me thinking. I wonder if there are any folks who have 300k+ EQM without much status. Given how little of a TATL ticket goes to EQD, I imagine there might be a traveler who dutifully flies roundtrip JFK-LHR in Y on a weekly basis (ouch) and ends up with 350k EQM -- but not even enough EQD to make Gold. Pretty sad that such a flyer couldn't gift himself Platinum!
That wouldn’t be possible, unless they’re getting huge corporate discounts.

That would require an EQD of 51 per round trip. Even if the base fare were 0, you’d still earn at least 130EQD on the YR.

The cheapest fares (which earn about 180 EQD) are BE fares too, so they would only earn 0.5 EQMs.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rbAA
Really? PLT status is worth anything? A few extra RDM's, but notmany benefits.
Really? This is off topic for this thread, but:

*MCE at booking
*Oneworld Sapphire and the lounge access it brings on international trips.

Both huge benefits, IMO
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If I hit 300k EQM I doubt I would have a spouse or SO to gift the PLT status to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.