Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

At 300,000 EQM Choose Your Reward (2 SWU, 40k RDM or gift Plat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At 300,000 EQM Choose Your Reward (2 SWU, 40k RDM or gift Plat)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
If you buy J, the 300K EQM is really only 150 BIS. And if you max the 10K EQM bonuses from Barclay and Citi (based on spend) to get 20K EQM, then the 300K is only 280K and half of that for J travel is 140K BIS.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by cova
If you buy J, the 300K EQM is really only 150 BIS. And if you max the 10K EQM bonuses from Barclay and Citi (based on spend) to get 20K EQM, then the 300K is only 280K and half of that for J travel is 140K BIS.
Good point. And if you buy full fare J/F it’s only 100K/93K BIS Miles.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm at 125 EQM for the year and received this. Unlikely I'll get anywhere close to 300k EQM but this is hardly an incentive -- 2 swu's ... seriously.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Indeed, the letter of the email prevents you from giving it to yourself. Which got me thinking. I wonder if there are any folks who have 300k+ EQM without much status. Given how little of a TATL ticket goes to EQD, I imagine there might be a traveler who dutifully flies roundtrip JFK-LHR in Y on a weekly basis (ouch) and ends up with 350k EQM -- but not even enough EQD to make Gold. Pretty sad that such a flyer couldn't gift himself Platinum!
I flew LAX-HKG roundtrip and earned a paltry 342 EQDs. I think that may be one of the most extreme EQM:EQD ratios. If I did 21 roundtrips, I’d be at 300K EQMs and 7000 EQDs, so I’d get Platinum anyways.

If I fly only on partner airlines, the most extreme EQM:EQD ratio is 10:1, so that’d only require 120K EQMs max to hit EXP.

Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
Yup. I got the announcement and will be eligible to "choose my reward" in a few weeks. Can't say any of those 3 rewards are enormously exciting.
A fourth option for "choose my reward" should be 100% success rate guaranteed pre-departure beverage on every flight.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jcatman
A fourth option for "choose my reward" should be 100% success rate guaranteed pre-departure beverage on every flight.
if were dreaming, let's add ponies and unicorns to the list too.
dciolli likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Antarius
it's not for you. It's for someone else. So giving PLT to a SO, friend, family member etc. Could be better than 2 more SWUs. Again, depends on circumstance.

but yes, for 300k EQM, these selections are as paltry as the onboard wine choices.
At 300K EQMs, they already have your business. Why should they gift you more for the business they already have? It may give incentive for someone who is already very close, but it isn't going to drive someone to earn another extra 100K EQMs.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Maybe I'm just dense, but is it 300 EQMs in the past year, past 12 months, or total? If total, how can you know how many you have?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by catcher1
Maybe I'm just dense, but is it 300 EQMs in the past year, past 12 months, or total? If total, how can you know how many you have?
Calendar year.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
At 300K EQMs, they already have your business. Why should they gift you more for the business they already have? It may give incentive for someone who is already very close, but it isn't going to drive someone to earn another extra 100K EQMs.
Several reasons.

1. A very happy high value customer is better than a tolerating/moderately happy one.
2. I know some travelers who hit 100k or 150k and then qualify another 100+k on a different alliance. With proper incentive, maybe some will continue to stay with AA for all of it

and 3. This isnt a large number of people. Throwing in some rockstar perks isnt going to cost them a whole lot.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
Calendar year.
Thanks. Fuggetit.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic

and 3. This isnt a large number of people. Throwing in some rockstar perks isnt going to cost them a whole lot.
This. Getting two Tiffany cut-crystal glasses and a bottle of Glenlivet 18 after a 280k EQM year still gets talked about in my house, and I don't even drink. Cost them $200.

There is something satisfying about dipping Oreos into your Tiffany cut crystal glass that is filled with milk. Thanks, DL.
Antarius and dciolli like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Plat
I am surprised they do not offer free internet on all flights as an option. That would be a nice benefit.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:44 pm

2. I know some travelers who hit 100k or 150k and then qualify another 100+k on a different alliance. With proper incentive, maybe some will continue to stay with AA for all of it
Indeed. I qualified for EXP and Delta Diamond last year and probably will do so again this year, with a hodgepodge of other flights. If there were a strong enough incentive, I might consider consolidating business onto one carrier, but for an extra 100K EQMs this line up is pretty laughable (to put it in perspective, quite a bit worse than the choices that Delta offers you once you qualify for Diamond (so 125K).
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by jordyn
Indeed. I qualified for EXP and Delta Diamond last year and probably will do so again this year, with a hodgepodge of other flights. If there were a strong enough incentive, I might consider consolidating business onto one carrier, but for an extra 100K EQMs this line up is pretty laughable (to put it in perspective, quite a bit worse than the choices that Delta offers you once you qualify for Diamond (so 125K).
Same, except I dump 600 TPs worth of flights to BA every year without thinking twice, since OWS = flagship access on domestic flights. Now, if AA would give that as a benefit for hitting 300k EQM (I think DL DMs get some choice like this?) Maybe... I wouldn't have to maintain this BA status....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.