Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

At 300,000 EQM Choose Your Reward (2 SWU, 40k RDM or gift Plat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At 300,000 EQM Choose Your Reward (2 SWU, 40k RDM or gift Plat)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Carioca
I am surprised they do not offer free internet on all flights as an option. That would be a nice benefit.
I get it on all gogo flights for only $10 more per month on my T-Mobile bill, along with 10 GB of LTE speed tethering.
Some are going to say, "that only works for phones".......(Not exactly)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
At 300K EQMs, they already have your business. Why should they gift you more for the business they already have? It may give incentive for someone who is already very close, but it isn't going to drive someone to earn another extra 100K EQMs.
One of the foundational premises of loyalty programs is to incentivize flyers to choose Airline A over other their other options when purchasing tickets. Why shouldn't your "At 300k they already have your business" analysis apply to 75k? or 25k? The airline always wants more of your business if it can be won - a successful loyalty program should help win it at every rung of the EQM ladder, not just the first four.

I'm a case in point: I flew 400k EQM on AA until 2016, when they stopped providing 2SWU's per 25/50k EQM above 100k. This year I qualified with 100,077 EQM and will not be flying AA again until next year. Loyalty is a two way street; if AA wants that 300k+ of EQM back, they will have to offer me something as valuable as what Delta and United etc offer me to bring my business elsewhere. Nearly every customer who can fly 300k EQM in a year has this option available to them, and for each of them who drop to 100k as I did, AA is losing at least the full revenue equivalent of two EXP's, and probably significantly more (since most 300k EQM flyers are qualifying with international premium tickets).

The 150k/200k SWUs and a 300k "choice" are steps in the right direction, but overall these offerings just don't cut it in my estimation; they aren't competitive.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:45 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
The fundamental flaw in this announcement is that the gifts are to your EMPLOYER, not to YOU. And in most cases, the gift recipient (your employer) won't even know that they received a gift.

Explanation: if someone flies 300K miles a year, you can bet the ranch that they're doing it on someone else's dime. Nobody but nobody flies that much for leisure.

I wonder if AA's gift budget would be more wisely spent, if they gave gifts to actual people instead of corporations? People know they received a gift. Corporations (in this case) are usually unaware of the gift they earned.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
The fundamental flaw in this announcement is that the gifts are to your EMPLOYER, not to YOU. And in most cases, the gift recipient (your employer) won't even know that they received a gift.

Explanation: if someone flies 300K miles a year, you can bet the ranch that they're doing it on someone else's dime. Nobody but nobody flies that much for leisure.

I wonder if AA's gift budget would be more wisely spent, if they gave gifts to actual people instead of corporations? People know they received a gift. Corporations (in this case) are usually unaware of the gift they earned.

Not everyone works for "corporations". Many FFs, such as myself, are independent contractors. Sometimes I pay my way and bill back, other times my client will book direct. Either way, I receive all of the benefits.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:18 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Not everyone works for "corporations". Many FFs, such as myself, are independent contractors.
Me too.
Sometimes I pay my way and bill back, other times my client will book direct. Either way, I receive all of the benefits.
Me too.

The point is, nobody who has the CHOICE would fly 300K on one airline. If you had the choice, you'd become top tier on _two_ airlines. Or (more likely) choose not to fly so often.

You and I are the exceptions. The vast overwhelming majority of 300K flyers are flying with OPM. So the true recipient of the "gift" from AA (i.e. the employer) is totally unaware that a gift was received.

Also, the whole scam is equivalent to AA saying, "If you will put another 100K on AA (instead of going for top tier on a second airline), we'll give you 2 SWUs". No thanks. And for a moment, let's pretend that you can actually find SWU availability when you want it. Even in that far-fetched scenario, no thanks. I'll go for top tier on a second airline instead. The whole promotion is simply lame.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Presidents Club
I did reach 150K EQM, do I have the option of getting 40K bonus miles instead of extra 2 SWU ?

Thank you all for your help
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

I flew LAX-HKG roundtrip and earned a paltry 342 EQDs. I think that may be one of the most extreme EQM:EQD ratios. If I did 21 roundtrips, I’d be at 300K EQMs and 7000 EQDs, so I’d get Platinum anyways.

If I fly only on partner airlines, the most extreme EQM:EQD ratio is 10:1, so that’d only require 120K EQMs max to hit EXP.

Yup -- that's going to be my 2019. 4-5 SEA-LAX-SIN (via HGK) trips on the cheapest possible tix (work mandate). Simply awesome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.