Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Bali (AA award to DPS - to merge)

I am trying to use American Airlines frequent flyer points on a flight from chicago to denpasser Bali. This would be for may 2019. It is a Cathay flight. The seats for frequent flyer points aren't open yet by Cathay and they are limited. How do I get those seats?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Ultimately, you will have to call AA to book reward tickets on Cathay Pacific.
Here is the master thread on using AAdvantage miles on Cathay.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html
This post may get merged into there.

I'd start with the "wiki" post at the top for background.
Good luck!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Marly Robins
I am trying to use American Airlines frequent flyer points on a flight from chicago to denpasser Bali. This would be for may 2019. It is a Cathay flight. The seats for frequent flyer points aren't open yet by Cathay and they are limited.
I don’t believe that is accurate.

As far as I’m aware, you can book CX award flights 330 days in advance. That would be around the end of May at this point. Some flights are now flown by Cathay Dragon. Using the ba.com site I can see Business and coach awards out of HKG until late May. Not all days are available, of course.

Sometimes it’s best to book a one way ticket for the outbound, and grab the return when it opens. Also be aware of Mount Agung and it’s occasional volcanic activity.

As ijgordon pointed out, you do have to call up to book.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marly Robins Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Marly Robins
I am trying to use American Airlines frequent flyer points on a flight from Chicago to Denpasser Bali. This would be for may 2019. It is a Cathay flight. The seats for frequent flyer points aren't open yet by Cathay and they are limited. How do I get those seats?
Getting an award flights USA - South East Asia/Bali/Singapore is regular topic.

Just because an airline has flights where you want to go, does not mean there will be award seats on those flights.
Look for the long haul award first and consider different routes & dates.

You could get to SE Asia, like Singapore or HKG, and buy a cash ticket for the last flight. But separate tickets has risk, especially with the Bali volcano.

Look at the AA forum threads on awards
-->Advice for Award availability US to South East Asia

--->HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

--->Oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on

CX---> AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX, KA availability, etc. (master thd)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don’t believe that is accurate.

As far as I’m aware, you can book CX award flights 330 days in advance.
Fair point - it's 331 days per the Wiki, which would be through 5/29/19 as of today. That said, the CX and I think maybe BA programs can book earlier, 355 days it seems, so there's always a chance any initial allotment of seats have already been snatched up.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
That said, the CX and I think maybe BA programs can book earlier, 355 days it seems, so there's always a chance any initial allotment of seats have already been snatched up.
BA & QF can book awards 355 days out, so get a chance before AA frequent flyers
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Fair point - it's 331 days per the Wiki, which would be through 5/29/19 as of today. That said, the CX and I think maybe BA programs can book earlier, 355 days it seems, so there's always a chance any initial allotment of seats have already been snatched up.
I checked the HKG-DPS leg, and found lots of economy and some business from mid May to the 28 or 29th.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Definitely read the Wikipost at the top of the page on HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance.

Also Check the innosked interactive map and schedule tool to see which airlines go to DPS. Cathay / Cathay Dragon are logical, but Malaysia via KUL, etc. are worth a look. And one can book to HKG and go onward to DOS DPS - I’d recommend an overnight at HKG on separate tickets - on LCCs (Hong Kong Airlines, etc.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 4, 2018 at 6:37 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Definitely read the Wikipost at the top of the page on HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance.

Also Check the innosked interactive map and schedule tool to see which airlines go to DPS. Cathay / Cathay Dragon are logical, but Malaysia vupia KUL, etc. are worth a look. And one can book to HKG and go onward to DOS - I’d recommend an overnight at HKG on separate tickets - on LCCs (Hong Kong Airlines, etc.)
The few times I checked them MH had some fuel surcharges. Plus they don’t fly to the US, so it adds another connection.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The few times I checked them MH had some fuel surcharges. Plus they don’t fly to the US, so it adds another connection.
Sure enough. But availability is availability. I’m looking at the same situation in December.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Also, don't get fixated on award versus pay. I did trip around the world two years ago, mostly award. Got saver from LAZ-SYD about 3 weeks in advance. Then paid to fly from SYD-Bali. It was about $120 for the 6 hour flight on Air Asia.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
Got saver from LAZ-SYD about 3 weeks in advance.
I’m impressed that you got an award flight from this general aviation airport in Brazil.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Bali

I am planning a trip to Bali from Chicago. Is there any flights to get to Bali from Chicago without staying overnight in a hotel? I know I put this under American Airlines. But is there any airline that does not have an overnight stay?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:22 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If you want to stick with a OneWorld carrier, Qatar has one stop service ORD-DOH-DPS, with a brief layover.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:22 am

There are plenty of options. For example, QR has a one stop option via DOH or if you want to keep it on Oneworld, you can take AA/CX and travel ORD-LAX-HKG-DPS.

google.com/flights will be very uselful (assuming you aren’t trying to use miles)
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.