Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PHL remote gates - can AA make it any more awful?

Old Jul 3, 18, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

My LIS-PHL flight Sunday deplaned at the remote 'gate', and OMG, it was an awful experience. The flight was full, and a mobile lounge pulled up to both the front and back doors of the 763. However, two mobile lounges was all they were going to use, and they wouldn't leave for the terminal until everyone got off the airplane. The moon buggies get very crowded when trying to hold 100 people. The driver stood at the front door yelling at everyone to squeeze in and that we couldn't leave until everyone had been loaded. Nothing like ending a 7 hour flight standing cheek to jowl with your fellow passengers (and their luggage).

When I heard that PHL was using remote gates, I had a mental image of the remote stands in Europe or Asia where they have a civilized bus that pulls away when it's mostly full and another pulls up. Not this kind of CF. And then following the mobile lounge experience was an hour and 45m spent getting through immigration and customs. I can't believe they want to make PHL the main TATL gateway. Have they no shame? (Sorry, some questions answer themselves, don't they?)

I thought there was a thread about the PHL remote gates but I couldn't find it. Mods, feel free to merge.
bresnab likes this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
They could smash your phone for you, no charge.
Old Jul 3, 18, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA CK, EK Platinum
There are reasons to avoid flying through PHL or CLT.
DCP2016, E55, AANYC1981 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
If AA is going to start pulling stunts like this at PHL while reducing flights at JFK they better watch their backs when passengers start flying on UA or DL for better experiences.
AANYC1981, Spiff and Pasqualle7 like this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ckx2 View Post
There are reasons to avoid flying through PHL or CLT.
PHL is in a league of its own. CLT is pleasant compared to PHL.
CPRich likes this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 9:52 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
My LIS-PHL flight Sunday deplaned at the remote 'gate', and OMG, it was an awful experience. The flight was full, and a mobile lounge pulled up to both the front and back doors of the 763. However, two mobile lounges was all they were going to use, and they wouldn't leave for the terminal until everyone got off the airplane. The moon buggies get very crowded when trying to hold 100 people. The driver stood at the front door yelling at everyone to squeeze in and that we couldn't leave until everyone had been loaded. Nothing like ending a 7 hour flight standing cheek to jowl with your fellow passengers (and their luggage).

When I heard that PHL was using remote gates, I had a mental image of the remote stands in Europe or Asia where they have a civilized bus that pulls away when it's mostly full and another pulls up. Not this kind of CF. And then following the mobile lounge experience was an hour and 45m spent getting through immigration and customs. I can't believe they want to make PHL the main TATL gateway. Have they no shame? (Sorry, some questions answer themselves, don't they?)

I thought there was a thread about the PHL remote gates but I couldn't find it. Mods, feel free to merge.
What's the matter with you? Stop complaining.

Just like "basic economy", and the densification of the 737's to match the "sardine-like" interior of the 737 MAX, the beneficent Doug Parker offers PHL as an international gateway airport because this is what AA customers want.
Spiff and fotographer like this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by muishkin View Post
CLT is pleasant compared to PHL.
And lethal injection is pleasant compared to a firing squad.

Last edited by dayone; Jul 4, 18 at 7:25 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
> PHL

Enough said
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA PLT/1mm
I did not know about these at PHL. OP's telling of his experience instantly makes me think of the abomination of gate 35X at DCA which is basically the same, but with commuter planes vice long hauls and not having to go through customs and immigration.

I have boycotted PHL for the last two years and plan to going forward, for so many delays and missed connections going through there. CLT on the other hand I go through often and have yet to have a problem with connections or on time arrivals/departures with one exception. The knock on it for me is that it is so crowded going through the terminal and around many/most of the gates.
Old Jul 4, 18, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Oh good I’m flying through PHL and CLT on Friday on an incoming international trip.

As to the OP’s question in the title, I feel like every time we ask that AA says, “Hold my beer! Watch this!”
Old Jul 4, 18, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
OP got the all inclusive horrible trifecta:

1. Philadelphia airport
2. remote stand gate
3. 767 dino bird
Pasqualle7, mediator and dciolli like this.

Last edited by enviroian; Jul 4, 18 at 10:29 am
Old Jul 4, 18, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Could have been in January.
Old Jul 4, 18, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta, American, JetBlue
I too was on that flight Sunday and endured the same experiences plus the dreaded SSSS boarding pass without PreCheck for PHL-BOS leg. I don't remember ever being at a remote stand in the US after an international flight. Catbert10, I hope that you were also asked to fill out the PHL airport survey.
Old Jul 4, 18, 11:51 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Could have been LAX.
Old Jul 4, 18, 12:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by isle-hawg View Post
I did not know about these at PHL..
I had never heard of remote stands at PHL either. Is this a recent addition?

As for PHL, I've flown through the airport more times than I can remember. Various combinations, domestic-domestic, domestic-international, international-domestic. Other than 1 instance they've all been smooth experiences. And that one was due to a regional jet that shouldn't have been operating (emergency landing/replacement aircraft). When we got to PHL, a manager was waiting at the gate and distributed new boarding passes and hotel vouchers.
I've made it from aircraft, through immigration/customs, re-cleared security, and in the lounge all within 10 minutes more than once.
Even with a close connection, going from HP to US during that merger, I made the connection--as did my checked luggage.

Yea, things did go a bit downhill when the Envoy lounge went away But I'd much rather transfer through PHL over JFK or LAX almost any day (so long as weather cooperates).
cedric and AlphaTango like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: