Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA sent my bag on an earlier flight without me !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA sent my bag on an earlier flight without me !

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ppwchess
It would be nice if there was a text notification stating that my bag is on an earlier flight.
A certain carrier - beginning with D - sends a text message when your bag is loaded onto the plane, sends another message specifying the baggage carousel, and sends another message when the bag has been delivered to the carousel.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by ppwchess
I've had the happen before where I have a long connection time between flights, and my bag gets sent on an earlier flight. It would be nice if there was a text notification stating that my bag is on an earlier flight. That way when I get to baggage claim I can grab my bag and be on my way instead of thinking my bag didn't make it.
There's a track my bag option at aa.com. Can't remember if it's the app or website.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Had it happen with US Airways. I had a longer layover where there was a flight headed to my destination about an hour before my flight. Oddly enough, one bag went on the earlier flight and was waiting for me in the baggage claim office while my other bag was on the same flight as me. Go figure.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:33 pm

I experienced it about a dozen times on DFW-AUS after international arrival into DFW (meaning a long layover). I later got a habit to look at the baggage center before waiting my bags on the carousel. I'm not complaining for bags traveling before me. It's MUCH better than them coming after me.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
There's a track my bag option at aa.com. Can't remember if it's the app or website.
It's on both.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If you think about it for a minute before posting a rant, you will see that this makes complete sense. You cannot choose to get on a different flight from your bag, because you may have checked an exploding bag. But if they do it, you have no control over it, and you cannot incorporate it into your plans.
I've had IRROPS with United where they let you consciously uncouple from your bags- rebooked with bags and a confirmed seat with the option to stand by for an earlier flight and United would send bags along to the final destination airport whenever.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A certain carrier - beginning with D - sends a text message when your bag is loaded onto the plane, sends another message specifying the baggage carousel, and sends another message when the bag has been delivered to the carousel.
Sometimes D misses the last bag scan, which is actually a good thing because on many of their tickets you get more miles from the '20 minutes or 2500 miles' service recovery automated form than you do for the flight proper.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by wrp96
100% bag match is not required for domestic flights because all bags are security screened.

Even for international flights, as long as it’s the airline choosing to put the bag on a separate flight from you, and not you choosing to separate yourself from your bag it’s okay.
They do it internationally all the time when bags get misplaced they fly separately.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:10 am
C46

Originally Posted by geminidreams
They do it internationally all the time when bags get misplaced they fly separately.
AA's handling of Rush-bags is way more strict, than the procedures of other carriers.

And Rush-bags are only good to be loaded, if the pax was seperated from his luggage involuntarily.

Internationally the "No pax, no bags"-rule is strictly enforced, as the TSA does not fully trust foreign CTX-machines/operators.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am so happy I dont check bags anymore... sorry to hear of all the troubles
jcatman likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
I had this happen to me recently flying PIT-DFW-SJC. After an early arrival into DFW, I walked past the gate of an earlier SJC flight which was delayed. Didn't think much about it until I received a text message from AA saying that my bags were loaded on the earlier flight and waiting at the baggage service counter. I could have at least stand by for the delayed flight but I didn't think the bags would make it and I wasn't in a rush. Anyway, I was glad that I didn't have to 1) wait for half an hour for the bags, and 2) pull them out of the carousel (it was a relocation trip so I had quite a bit of luggage).
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by genotonda
The fact that they do stuff like this is what makes it uber annoying when they will not let you get on an earlier flight if you checked a bag. No matter the reason. A few weeks ago I was flying ABQ-DFW and the late afternoon flight was delayed due to DFW ground stop. We finally started to board around 6:30pm, almost the same time that the later ABQ-DFW flight was boarding at the next gate over. They got the preboarders on, then all of the sudden the cancelation notices started popping up on everyone's phones. I immediately made a beeline for the other gate to get in line, as they had reaccommodated most of us on the 5:55am flight the next morning. I was about 6th in line as they were hurriedly trying to get seats assignments to as many people as possible before T-10. This was annoying in and of itself, because there were even more seats available, but they hard stopped at T-10. By the way, 15 min after this later flight departed, they canceled the 5:55am flight for the next morning and then moved people to the 6:30pm flight for the next evening. So you strand 150 people for 24 hours, have seats to accommodate some of them, but you won't SLIGHTLY delay the last flight out for the night to try and accommodate as many as possible!? Typical airline behavior.

Anyways, back to my story. I get to the front of the line to get on that flight and she tells me I am out of luck because I checked a bag. I was like, you guys fly bags out on different flights all the time. Earlier. Later. Whatever. She didn't want to hear it, and basically told me to go fly a kite. Myself and a few other ended up booking a SWA flight that left a few hours later. No way was I staying in ABQ for another 24 hours.
Way to hijack a thread with what may be the most pointless story I’ve ever read
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Happens all the time and non issue. You just have to track it to see where it's at. Would you rather have it sent on a flight later than yours?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by genotonda
The fact that they do stuff like this is what makes it uber annoying when they will not let you get on an earlier flight if you checked a bag. No matter the reason. A few weeks ago I was flying ABQ-DFW and the late afternoon flight was delayed due to DFW ground stop. We finally started to board around 6:30pm, almost the same time that the later ABQ-DFW flight was boarding at the next gate over. They got the preboarders on, then all of the sudden the cancelation notices started popping up on everyone's phones. I immediately made a beeline for the other gate to get in line, as they had reaccommodated most of us on the 5:55am flight the next morning. I was about 6th in line as they were hurriedly trying to get seats assignments to as many people as possible before T-10. This was annoying in and of itself, because there were even more seats available, but they hard stopped at T-10. By the way, 15 min after this later flight departed, they canceled the 5:55am flight for the next morning and then moved people to the 6:30pm flight for the next evening. So you strand 150 people for 24 hours, have seats to accommodate some of them, but you won't SLIGHTLY delay the last flight out for the night to try and accommodate as many as possible!? Typical airline behavior.
... and what if that "SLIGHTLY" delayed flight lost it's departure window? There are pluses and minuses to every decision.

Anyways, back to my story. I get to the front of the line to get on that flight and she tells me I am out of luck because I checked a bag. I was like, you guys fly bags out on different flights all the time. Earlier. Later. Whatever. She didn't want to hear it, and basically told me to go fly a kite. Myself and a few other ended up booking a SWA flight that left a few hours later. No way was I staying in ABQ for another 24 hours.
Just like the phone agents, sometimes they will feed a line hoping you will move on and they can take the next customer. I hope you reported this to AA. I know "retraining" is not likely but maybe they can use the input to emphasize the point in future training.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If you think about it for a minute before posting a rant, you will see that this makes complete sense. You cannot choose to get on a different flight from your bag, because you may have checked an exploding bag. But if they do it, you have no control over it, and you cannot incorporate it into your plans.
Ah, and this is why security is stupid. If even Flyertalks think this makes sense, this is why security just sucks.
Did you not hear the term "suicide bomber"? Did you know there are people who don't mind if they have an exploding bag on their flight, cause they don't care if they will die?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Ah, and this is why security is stupid. If even Flyertalks think this makes sense, this is why security just sucks.
Did you not hear the term "suicide bomber"? Did you know there are people who don't mind if they have an exploding bag on their flight, cause they don't care if they will die?
Ok, ok, ok, There are all sorts of people out there. I doubt the "no separation" rule really stopped anyone serious about their cause. As mentioned many times what we have is security theater happening to us. I suspect the hit ratio is less than 1% and those events get played up big time to prove the worth of the show. I'm not saying it needs to be pulled, but some serious effort to detect threats would go a long way to improve airr travel security. What I see is a lot of knee-jerk efforts to make it look good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.