Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gifted Award Travel (cancellation and redeposit)

Old Jul 2, 18, 10:53 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

I used a friends account to fund my booking for ZA trip. I may have to cancel due to medical reasons, trip in OCT.. When the miles are redeposited will they go to my account or be returned to my friends account? Taxes that were paid? Just want to be prepared ahead of time.
Old Jul 2, 18, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
They will go back to the original account. Taxes etc, back to the original card used for payment.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 2, 18, 11:10 am

Programs: CK or bust
Miles are always returned to the account from which they paid. Taxes and fees are refunded to the original form of payment however unless there was an covered reason (i.e. significant schedule change, change of operating carrier, change of aircraft not acceptable to you) and or you are not an AA Executive Platinum, a mileage redeposit fee will be assessed.

Depending on the card brand/type used to pay for the ticket issuance, a covered medical reason may give you a credit from your card issuer to offset the redeposit fee.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 2, 18, 2:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Originally Posted by 1000k00 View Post
I used a friends account to fund my booking for ZA trip. I may have to cancel due to medical reasons, trip in OCT.. When the miles are redeposited will they go to my account or be returned to my friends account? Taxes that were paid? Just want to be prepared ahead of time.
Since they were a gift from your friend I assume you VERY MUCH want them to go back to the friend, so this should be good news.
Old Jul 3, 18, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA [strike]Gold[/strike] Dirt, HH Gold, National Emerald Club, TSA Disparager Gold
If there's a medical reason, AA has been quite accommodating IME.

Case 1: A few weeks ago, we were sending my stepson out west to spend the summer with his dad. I used miles. Had the flight booked for a Saturday (and he was in F too, so quite happy ). Monday, his dad calls and tell us his grandfather died, and he'd really like him to be at the funeral. Funeral's Saturday morning, and he won't make it in time. My wife called AA, explained the situation and gave them the funeral info. AA waived all fees and put him on a Friday flight. Just had to pay a difference in miles to use an anytime economy award. Only problem was they forgot to recollect the tax on the new ticket (refunded original), so it wasn't issued until later on. Easy fix though.

Case 2: Was heading on a trip to ICN in paid F (non-refundable). Had already checked in for the trip the next day. I was over by BWI heading to the office to pick up a laptop and I got t-boned by a bus. Needless to say, with several broken bones and other injuries, I wasn't taking my flight the next day. Wife called AA and they canceled the ticket and waived all penalties and change fees. Used the credit later on when I made the trip.

YMMV, of course. However, I've found if you have a legit case, and can back it up if requested, that they'll work with you.
Old Jul 3, 18, 12:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 1000k00 View Post
As has been said, the taxes and fees would go to the original FOP (credit card, etc.) used. The miles would be available for redeposit to the account the miles originated from upon payment of the redeposit fee - usually $150 for the first award redeposited and $25 for subsequent awards from the same account. (If there are significant involuntary schedule changes - over two hours usually - the award may be cancelled and redeposit fees will be waived.

An option is the award can be changed to as far out as one year from the original date of issue without change fees if the same award class (SAAver, I assume) is available.