Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA incorrectly applied e vouchers to tickets-how do I fix? & price drop issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

I have two e vouchers, each for $500. I booked 2 RT tickets to San Juan in December for cruise vacation. Total cost of the tickets is $1141.30. AA only used one of the $500 e vouchers towards payment and billed me $641.30 on my credit card. I should have been billed $141.30 for the amount over $1000.

How do I get this fixed? I originally did all of this online but there isa no way to fix it online that I can see. I have tried calling AA and sending a tweet but am getting no answer to my question.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
What did they *say when you called

*edited for spelling

Last edited by asf-07; Jun 25, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asf-07
What did they way when you called
First they told me that because this happened more than 30 days ago, ticketed May 25 there is nothing they can do about it. I just got the credit card statement and saw the erroneous charge today.

They also told me there is nothing they can do about it. Too bad, tough luck. Write to customer relations. I think I will dispute the charges with my credit card company. That should get their attention.

The twitter people never answered me at all.

Last edited by susiesan; Jun 25, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:28 pm

I mean, if they didn't apply the funds from one of the vouchers, their stance should be that you continue to hold 1 voucher with $500 in value, right?

Originally Posted by susiesan
I think I will dispute the charges with my credit card company. That should get their attention.
Just make sure you don't do something that will result in them cancelling the whole thing...

Last edited by asf-07; Jun 25, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:44 pm

I originally did all of this online
Have you ruled out user error as the cause of your problem?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

AA can see that I still have a $500 unused voucher. They refuse to apply it to this ticket, say they cannot go back andchange it. All I want is a $500 credit to my cc and the $500 used in as a payment.

No, there was no user error. Two days after I made the reservation and paid AA sent me an email saying there was a problem with ticketing and to call them. I did, they said the voucher number was no good, I confirmed the number and they said they could see it now and all was fine. I was ticketed and could see the amount for the cost of the tickets in my record. It does not show how much was paid for my vouchers and how much was credit card. It wasn't until I got the credit card statement today that I saw the incorrect charge to my cc and figured out the AA made the mistake.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA can see that I still have a $500 unused voucher. They refuse to apply it to this ticket, say they cannot go back andchange it. All I want is a $500 credit to my cc and the $500 used in as a payment.

No, there was no user error. Two days after I made the reservation and paid AA sent me an email saying there was a problem with ticketing and to call them. I did, they said the voucher number was no good, I confirmed the number and they said they could see it now and all was fine. I was ticketed and could see the amount for the cost of the tickets in my record. It does not show how much was paid for my vouchers and how much was credit card. It wasn't until I got the credit card statement today that I saw the incorrect charge to my cc and figured out the AA made the mistake.
Initiating a charge back tomyour credit card is likely to result in ticket cancellation, and possible risk to your first e-voucher.

1) Have you called and asked to speak to a supervisor? That might be a possibility. Be prepared with ticket and voucher numbers, etc.

2) Have you contacted AA Customer Relations?

The thread Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread) (link) including the Wikipost at the top of the page, contains some usable information.

Here on the AA website,

How to contact Customer Relations

Send us an email or letter
Email American Airlines Customer Relations (link)

American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Information we'll need
  • Your ticket number/record locator
  • Your mailing address
  • Flight numbers, origin and destination cities, and dates of travel
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
1) Have you called and asked to speak to a supervisor? That might be a possibility. Be prepared with ticket and voucher numbers, etc.

2) Have you contacted AA Customer Relations?

The thread Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread) (link) including the Wikipost at the top of the page, contains some usable information.

Here on the AA website,
Yes, I spoke to a supervisor who told me there was nothing she could do, that I need to contact AA Customer relations. I sent an email, will send a fax, and will send a letter. I am also in contact with the twitter team who says I entered only one voucher number. This is not true and I have an earlier tweet that corroborates this. To finish the booking I spoke on the phone with a CSR and gave them the second voucher number over the phone. Then the ticket was issued and my credit card charged for the wrong amount.

I am concerned that with the lousy customer service from AA these days that they will drag their feet on this and not do anything. The twitter people are telling me to use the second voucher for a future trip, but I have none planned that would involve AA. I only booked this trip to use up the vouchers.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
At the end of the day, what exactly did you lose? You still have that second voucher to use on your next flight. I realize this situation isn't optimal, but my recommendation is to let it go and just use the other voucher next time.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
At the end of the day, what exactly did you lose? You still have that second voucher to use on your next flight. I realize this situation isn't optimal, but my recommendation is to let it go and just use the other voucher next time.
The OP said she just booked the trip to use both vouchers. Perhaps the vouchers expire, or she just doesn’t want to keep the voucher.

Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I booked a cruise from San Juan and planned to use the vouchers for the airfare there. The only reason I booked the cruise was to go somewhere to use up the vouchers before they expire in October. My aadvantage account has been depleted and I am done with American Airlines. This was to be my last flight with them as they no longer meet my travel requirements. There wasn't going to be a next time.

I will continue to fight to get the second $500 voucher applied to this trip. I did not make the mistake in booking, it was AA and they need to own up and fix it.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:49 am

edited
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I booked a cruise from San Juan and planned to use the vouchers for the airfare there. The only reason I booked the cruise was to go somewhere to use up the vouchers before they expire in October. My aadvantage account has been depleted and I am done with American Airlines. This was to be my last flight with them as they no longer meet my travel requirements. There wasn't going to be a next time.

I will continue to fight to get the second $500 voucher applied to this trip. I did not make the mistake in booking, it was AA and they need to own up and fix it.
I'm not sure what the specific terms of your voucher is, but it's possible that you might be able to use the voucher for flights for someone else.

The terms of Flyertalk don't allow the forums to be used as a marketplace, but you might be able to go somewhere else on the internet to find someone who is able to use it.

I've obtained vouchers from 3rd parties before, and usually value some of them very close to face value, because some of them take off the taxes on a ticket.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not initiate a chargeback. If it is granted, AA will simply show you as having a $500 add/collect. If you are lucky, it will not cancel your tickets and you may pay the missing $500 at the airport. If you are unlucky, AA will cancel the tickets because they are not fully paid for.

A perhaps better solution here would be to check the price of the tickets today. If they are roughly the same, ask AA if it would cancel the existing tickets, waive the penalty and then book new tickets using the two vouchers and issue you a refund for the $500 credit balance.

Sometimes you have to propose the solution.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Do not initiate a chargeback. If it is granted, AA will simply show you as having a $500 add/collect. If you are lucky, it will not cancel your tickets and you may pay the missing $500 at the airport. If you are unlucky, AA will cancel the tickets because they are not fully paid for.

A perhaps better solution here would be to check the price of the tickets today. If they are roughly the same, ask AA if it would cancel the existing tickets, waive the penalty and then book new tickets using the two vouchers and issue you a refund for the $500 credit balance.

Sometimes you have to propose the solution.
They tell me if I cancel the tickets I lose the value of the $500 voucher already used., that it will not be refunded or credited back to be used on another ticket. I would also have to pay a $200 each change fee. So I would lose $900 total. Today the prices of the tickets are substantially less than I paid, $376 vs $570. I am being told that once a ticket has been issued nothing can be corrected or changed even if AA made the error in not applying the second e voucher. I am being told that not a single person at AA can help me on this.

Last edited by susiesan; Jun 27, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.