Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost Frozen Fish - Alaska Airlines, last flight AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Frozen Fish - Alaska Airlines, last flight AA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Flew out of ANC on an Alaska Air reward ticket Tuesday 6 pm. Alaska Air to Seattle, Alaska Air to DFW, American Air to RSW.

Had two 50 lb insulated fish boxes full of fresh halibut with enough dry ice to insure 24 hour froze solid.

Fish did not make the connection in Seattle. Luggage did, cannot get reason why fish boxes did not.

Since American was final leg they took the claim but have absolutely bungled it. Alaska AIr indicated that they would store in freezer until transport out of Seattle but that was the policy and nobody could tell me where the product was being stored. Fish went to Chicago, arrive 1 pm and nobody can tell me anything else.

If the product spoils who will be responsible for the replacement cost? Am I entitled to replacement cost?
How much dry ice was in each box?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justhere
How much dry ice was in each box?
3 lbs of dry ice each box. I do this every year and have shipped without dry ice before successfully but prefer to add some just in case of delays.

Alaska isn't responding, American says it was sent to Chicago on AA flight. Neither carrier will take responsibility for who sent it to Chicago. AA Chicago shows it being received there but cannot find it. RSW baggage doesn't have it. Boxes are made for shipping fish. Say Frozen fish on them, have a picture of a salmon on the outside of the box. My name, phone number, and final destination RSW is written on outside of both boxes in 2 places in black permanent marker
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wow... best of luck in getting your fish reunited in a timely manner.

As AA was the last carrier you flew, they are responsible to get the fish to you.

Alaska does have freezers on site, as well as coolers in ANC and I imagine SEA. This is mostly for its cargo operations, but imagine in extenuating circumstances such as this, they'll put checked luggage in it as well.
Yes, exactly! Airlines is responsibilities to transfer the bags. They didn't give bags to AA, not go to baggage claim. This is not final destination city. They should put on next flight. They did not read the baggage tags.

Originally Posted by missamo80
It's an Alaska ticket so I believe it's Alaska's responsibility.

Neil
Exactly! They were supposed to put the bags on next flight. They didn't give the bags to AA. That's big problem. Something isn't right. They did not read the baggage tags.

Originally Posted by jackal
Moving to AA forum per OP's request, since while it's an AS ticket, AA is responsible as the final leg's carrier.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines forum
Exactly! They were supposed to put the bags on next flight, but they didn't do transferred to AA. Airlines is responsibility to give the bags to AA, not go to baggage claim. They had to be transferred.

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'd be curious as to what "original factory-sealed carton" is for caught fish.
Yeah, go fish! Go to fishing.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<redacted>

Do you have any proof that AS failed to hand the bags over to AA ? It could just as easily be AA's fault that the bags failed to get loaded and it could be that AS forgot to deliver the bags to AA

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 28, 2018 at 5:12 pm Reason: Cinfrontive meta removed
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
<redacted>

Do you have any proof that AS failed to hand the bags over to AA ? It could just as easily be AA's fault that the bags failed to get loaded and it could be that AS forgot to deliver the bags to AA
Had one post in Alaska and one in American to try and get feedback. Mods merged them

Nobody is saying who ordered boxes from Seattle to Chicago.

Missed connection was Alaska to Alaska flights in Seattle.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 28, 2018 at 5:13 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
3 lbs of dry ice each box. I do this every year and have shipped without dry ice before successfully but prefer to add some just in case of delays.

Alaska isn't responding, American says it was sent to Chicago on AA flight. Neither carrier will take responsibility for who sent it to Chicago. AA Chicago shows it being received there but cannot find it. RSW baggage doesn't have it. Boxes are made for shipping fish. Say Frozen fish on them, have a picture of a salmon on the outside of the box. My name, phone number, and final destination RSW is written on outside of both boxes in 2 places in black permanent marker
I wonder if someone at AS held it as it's 0.5 lb of dry ice over limit for one passenger or if they had a problem manifesting it for the flight.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Had one post in Alaska and one in American to try and get feedback. Mods merged them

Nobody is saying who ordered boxes from Seattle to Chicago.

Missed connection was Alaska to Alaska flights in Seattle.
Technically, as I understand it, AA operated the last flight, AA is responsible for delivery and any compensation due (though the loss of perishable items may be a problem).

Actually, someone at Alaska Airlines screwed up big time, but now you can say that about baggage services in ORD.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
"WELCOME, to the1st Annual ORD Bagage Handlers 4TH of July Fish Fry"!
clbish, Sweetone, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

fresh alaskan halibut on the menu in ORD I guess.
JDiver, wrp96 and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

JDiver, wrp96, Science Goy and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
@ g8trgr8t, that probably explains the fish special at Shoeless Joe's Ale House & Grille. LOL, good luck
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:30 pm

Any word? Did they find it yet?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Wow, that stinks
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

No. AA says they show it arriving ORD Tuesday 1 pm. ORD baggage says they don't have it according to AA baggage call center. I have not received a single phone call from AA even though their records indicate they tried to call me with updates. My name and phone number and the final destination are written on the boxes. How hard could it be? Someone in ORD walked away with this. Hope they were expecting salmon or crab
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Great Alaska Seafood quotes $2715.75 for 85 lbs of halibut delivered. That will be my claim amount. Still don't understand how I have an Alaska Air ticket, paid Alaska air for baggage, and Alaska Air luggage rules applied for weight, content, price, handoff was missed form Alaska to Alaska flights, and I have to deal with American to resolve claim. Makes no sense at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.