Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pushed by FA...is this the new norm?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Pushed by FA...is this the new norm?

Weird experience last week...on a flight from SXM-MIA, I was in the aft lav (having waited until drink service was completed to avoid conflicting with the galley cart). When I exited, I found that two FAs had a trolley midway down the aisle either doing second drink service, or clearing trash. Since this was a 737 with no hope of squeezing by the cart, I waited until the FAs got close to the aft galley, then stepped back into the port side of the galley to let the cart clear...then the weirdness. There was an FA seated on the starboard side of the aft galley, and she sprung up and pushed me from behind, telling me to just stay where I was. Admittedly a bit shocked, I stood still (naturally getting my feet mashed by the drink cart as it passed, since I was standing by the lav instead of in the galley).

Despite being a 1MM, I haven't flown AA in the past year or so...is there now some rule against violating the aft galley space? Is this the new norm for AA's FAs? Is this worth bringing to the attention of AA, or is this just life on American Airlines these days?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I always love the "is this the new norm" approach we occassionally see on FT. OP, of course, knows that this behavior is not endorsed/accepted by AA and 1 data point does not a trend make. So, to answer the OP's question, no, this is not the new norm. I would bring it to AA's attention, though, as it bothered you.
Dr. HFH, glennhaak, AAway and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer to your question as to whether it is the norm for AA, as a matter of corporate policy, to push passengers from behind when they are standing in the port side of the aft galley of a single aisle aircraft is, "not a valid statistical survey"

AA boarded 199,064,000 passengers in calendar 2017. Your same of 1 equates to a statistically insignificant percentage.

I would not infer anything based on corporate policy based on that.

You could check SEC filings to see if AA considers it sufficiently material to file an 8-K.
IAHtraveler and bosman like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Geesh - is every question on FT now about get pushed by FAa?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
If she actually did push you I would've notified the captain/gate agents upon arrival along with filing a police report. Obviously it's too late now for it but you can send a message in to AA.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by HookemHorns
Weird experience last week...on a flight from SXM-MIA, I was in the aft lav (having waited until drink service was completed to avoid conflicting with the galley cart). When I exited, I found that two FAs had a trolley midway down the aisle either doing second drink service, or clearing trash. Since this was a 737 with no hope of squeezing by the cart, I waited until the FAs got close to the aft galley, then stepped back into the port side of the galley to let the cart clear...then the weirdness. There was an FA seated on the starboard side of the aft galley, and she sprung up and pushed me from behind, telling me to just stay where I was. Admittedly a bit shocked, I stood still (naturally getting my feet mashed by the drink cart as it passed, since I was standing by the lav instead of in the galley).

Despite being a 1MM, I haven't flown AA in the past year or so...is there now some rule against violating the aft galley space? Is this the new norm for AA's FAs? Is this worth bringing to the attention of AA, or is this just life on American Airlines these days?
So did she step around you and push you into the path of the trolley or did she step next to you and put a hand in your back to stop you moving further left?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by HookemHorns

I think the new policy only occurs to 1 MMs' who are on a 737 from SXM. Seriously, maybe she thought your were going to back into her as you were backing. Maybe she thought you were going to back into something else that might be a hazard.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
You actually have other space to move into when a trolley is headed your way aft. The lav where you previously were.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
So, "Is ________ the new norm?" is how we at FT approach every mistake, every service failure, everything which is not precisely how it should be? What happened to forgiveness, understanding. Geez, I make mistakes. I'm sure glad that I'm not evaluated by that standard.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
So, "Is ________ the new norm?" is how we at FT approach every mistake, every service failure, everything which is not precisely how it should be? What happened to forgiveness, understanding. Geez, I make mistakes. I'm sure glad that I'm not evaluated by that standard.
Maybe we can just answer OP's question and close the thread?

NO, it is NOT the new norm
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Tough crowd, focusing on the phrasing of the title, as opposed to the incident.

I sympatihize with the OP over his poor treatment.
muji and tikchik like this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:10 am

At least the OP didn’t end with “how much compensation am I entitled to?” :-)
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by beachfan
Yeah, what a bunch of meanies, succinctly and accurately answering the only question the OP actually asked (four times, phrased slightly differently) in their post.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by beachfan

I sympatihize with the OP over his poor treatment.
"The phrasing of the question" is not an issue. It is the specific question OP asked. If he wanted an answer to another question, he could have asked that other question.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by bosman
I always love the "is this the new norm" approach we occassionally see on FT. OP, of course, knows that this behavior is not endorsed/accepted by AA and 1 data point does not a trend make. So, to answer the OP's question, no, this is not the new norm. I would bring it to AA's attention, though, as it bothered you.
I was also wondering
On my flight I was not able to choose a seat beforehand. Maybe the computer hated me.
And at the airport I was explicitly made to board last. I guess a bad day for the gate agent?
And then I used a bathroom where you literally could not turn around. The plane was misconfigured?
I was hoping someone would tell me these are one-offs. I thought I booked on American, but maybe I was dreaming and had actually flown Spirit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.