Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA vs DL / Delta Dimestic First comparison

Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM

Flying both in Paid F (but always cheapest F available). I am favoring DL more and more. A prefer the seats on AA with better pitch but the overall product including FA morale and professionalism just shine through more and more on DL. I'm almost to 3MM on AA and will push toward getting there this year or early next yet a just have a feel of continuing short-comings like service and even the OneWorld Alliance. I recently flew to CDG and had broken business class seat. Full flight so stuck. Its the little things that are adding up. Hope AA can strike the right direction as I've always been a fan but not sure anymore.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by bcj1949
Flying both in Paid F (but always cheapest F available). I am favoring DL more and more. A prefer the seats on AA with better pitch but the overall product including FA morale and professionalism just shine through more and more on DL. I'm almost to 3MM on AA and will push toward getting there this year or early next yet a just have a feel of continuing short-comings like service and even the OneWorld Alliance. I recently flew to CDG and had broken business class seat. Full flight so stuck. Its the little things that are adding up. Hope AA can strike the right direction as I've always been a fan but not sure anymore.
Thought I had made 3MM but short 9,500 miles (had miscalculated by last trip to CDG). But heading to Munich in August.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by bcj1949
The biggest downside of my shift from DL 360 to AA is the quality of the full F product. I'm a tall person but will sacrifice a little legroom for a seat that is fundamentally more comfortable. I agree that in-flight service on DL is superior (so far) to AA. They went through a big push two or three years ago and it showed. However, I'm willing to bet the AA culture will turn around faster than the UA culture did/should.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:45 pm

I am a ratio of about 2.8:1 DL to AA in terms of miles flown YTD. Ive good and bad crews on both. DL is ahead but IME its not this massive difference that FT conventional wisdom portrays. Ill give DL a nod for bananas in the snack basket and my kids like when I bring home the Tumi boxes from the amenity kit
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Jun 21, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I go back and forth on this a lot and give the edge to AA these days.....all my crews on AA have been great and DL keeps devaluing their domestic FC experience (in addition to still not offering nuts or anything with the pre-meal beverage service if you even get a pre-meal beverage, everything plopped on one tray (even D1 now). I'm also getting tired of DL's cocky attitude like their s&^( doesn't stink.

I can and do book away from garbage LUS equipment though so that probably has a factor into it too.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jun 21, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Coming from a LUS hub (Phoenix), where planes don't doesn't always have in-seat power, let alone IFE, even in First, I'm probably swapping to DL for a year to try the other side even though it will mean connections. I like MSP, for example, the few times I've been through there. I do think the AA 787 J is much nicer hard product than DL's A330 though.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
Coming from a LUS hub (Phoenix), where planes don't doesn't always have in-seat power, let alone IFE, even in First, I'm probably swapping to DL for a year to try the other side even though it will mean connections. I like MSP, for example, the few times I've been through there.
Every time I consider flying DL more regularly, I think about what it would be like connecting at DL hubs and, in my mind, it's not pretty. I dislike connecting in ATL and MSP, and the DL JFK terminal is a downright embarrassment. They also wanted me to connect at CVG on regional equipment in IROPS a few months ago, and I declined. Also, I haven't been through LAX with them recently, but T2/T3 seems like a downgrade from T5. Granted, PHX is a weak link for AA and is desperately in need of renovation, and CLT isn't a great experience either (note the negative LUS trend here), but I generally don't mind AA's hubs overall.

I also have both Sky Club and Admirals Club memberships, and while the club food selections are better with DL, the seemingly perpetual overcrowding and lack of international business/first lounges are really big negatives.

The biggest thing DL has going right now to me is competitively priced premium cabin fares, so I'll fly them when the price/schedule is right, but otherwise AA will probably continue to get most of my business.
AANYC1981 and AAEmpireState like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by metallo
Every time I consider flying DL more regularly, I think about what it would be like connecting at DL hubs and, in my mind, it's not pretty. I dislike connecting in ATL and MSP, and the DL JFK terminal is a downright embarrassment. They also wanted me to connect at CVG on regional equipment in IROPS a few months ago, and I declined. Also, I haven't been through LAX with them recently, but T2/T3 seems like a downgrade from T5. Granted, PHX is a weak link for AA and is desperately in need of renovation, and CLT isn't a great experience either (note the negative LUS trend here), but I generally don't mind AA's hubs overall.

I also have both Sky Club and Admirals Club memberships, and while the club food selections are better with DL, the seemingly perpetual overcrowding and lack of international business/first lounges are really big negatives.

The biggest thing DL has going right now to me is competitively priced premium cabin fares, so I'll fly them when the price/schedule is right, but otherwise AA will probably continue to get most of my business.
I appreciate the perspective and am trying to go into it open minded. Since I redeemed miles for my trips this year and won't have AAny status in 2019, I figure now's the time to see for myself. So far, my limited experience with DL I mostly am annoyed by the frequent schedule changes that happen on weekends. Also, from Phoenix trying to get anywhere in California except LAX means a connection at LAX or SLC. Blech. And Skypesos, I already get the name from a few sample searches.

I hear that Skyclubs are overcrowded often, and figure it's because there are so many options to gain entry compared to AA. I'll have access myself with an Amex Plat when not flying international J. I also prefer the OW lounges at LAX (AA Flagship is especially grand), and comparing LHR to AMS. But LHR is a worse airport to transit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.