Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage President's Take on the AA Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage President's Take on the AA Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by ashill
Yeah, that's a pretty remarkable misunderstanding (or misrepresentation?) of their own statistic. And because I couldn't remember for sure, the statistic (as reported) is indeed 87% of their unique customers, not 87% of their enplanements. So even if all of those 13% fly AA only twice per year, only 77% of the enplanements are one-time-per-year AA fliers.
AA seems to be learning how to disseminate alternate facts.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Nothing about Disneyworld is affordable. Sadly, the other options may indeed be cheaper/at least competitive.
Yeah, I was there last year for the first time and thought what a crock, I'll never go back. However, ~$1200 for 4 tickets to DisneyWorld + $1200 for a family of four to fly + $700 for a cheap Orlando hotel for the week is MUCH more affordable than $5000+ for airfare for four to Hawaii and $1400 for a cheap Honolulu hotel for a week.
No offense to anyone here, but I feel that frequent flyer community seems a little out of touch. I would say AA is too for many reasons, but the president either lied or can't do math. On the average domestic flight, my bet is that at most 20% of the passengers on that plane are doing their 'once a year or less' flight and haven't heard the CC sales pitch recently. My supporting evidence? Look back at everyone's faces during the safety video. Squint towards the back, and you will find maybe 2-10 people that are actually watching intently with entertained looks on their faces. Everyone else has seen the song and dance many times before.

Originally Posted by donotblink
I'd guess most of those people are going too see family for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Ah yes, good point.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:41 pm

A quick google shows that this employee has a 20-year in various areas of the company, that certainly isn't insignificant.

But correct on the above posts regarding reporting to Parker, that's where the issues start/end. She is simply toeing the line.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:53 pm

I don’t believe that Bridget Blaise-Shamai reports to Parker. I am pretty sure she goes to a SR VP of marketing and Loyalty who reports to Isolm. Who, of course, reports to Parker.

AAdvanatge of course went up though Kirby back when he was at AA. That’s when/where all the problems started.

Originally Posted by gernabae
A quick google shows that this employee has a 20-year in various areas of the company, that certainly isn't insignificant.

But correct on the above posts regarding reporting to Parker, that's where the issues start/end. She is simply toeing the line.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ashill
Yeah, that's a pretty remarkable misunderstanding (or misrepresentation?) of their own statistic.
Wonder how many days it took the PR team to convince themselves of this explanation? Must have said it enough times in the conference room that it magically became true.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkOK
My supporting evidence? Look back at everyone's faces during the safety video. Squint towards the back, and you will find maybe 2-10 people that are actually watching intently with entertained looks on their faces. Everyone else has seen the song and dance many times before.
The thing is, when the FAs hold them out at the end of the flight, they go like hotcakes. I typically check a bag so I wait ~10 mins after doors open to walk out and from my usual spot on the plane watch people take them, sometimes several. conversations with the FAs also indicate that they can be decent moneymakers for them.

I hate the pitch and the pushiness of it, but it seems to be bringing in $$$.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
A data wrangling exec? Forgive me for being suspicious.
A little surprised at the ad hominems. I'm CEO of a startup data brokerage; I have to know my product to sell it to clients and keep the board up to date. This said: look at many current job postings for MBAs, and options in tech are very limited if you can't do basic data wrangling. Decision drivers of a quarter century ago like Excel or SPSS are rapidly being replaced by Tableau, SQL, and more technical tools. IMHO this holds for not just marketing, but also finance and many sales roles.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
As an American executive with an MBA, I feel quite comfortable with "fake math" and analogies. The thing is that most of that fake math is actually based in rigorous science. Most of us are just as comfortable in R and SQL as Powerpoint.
.... did you kill the previous exec! I’m just kidding. Anyhow I was just pointing out a huge contrast between French execs and American execs (modulo the first gen immigrant types). I am pretty sure the correlation is very weak or negative between having a deep grasp of rigorous math to being a good exec.

I suspect Bridget Blaise knows that the 87% premise does not imply her conclusion and she is just staying on message. Then again I’ve met a lot of US execs in the legacy industries who would probably be quick to jump to the same conclusion but would quickly correct themselves after thinking about it. It’s nothing shameful. And nothing to do with their skills in a particular programming language.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Nothing about Disneyworld is affordable. Sadly, the other options may indeed be cheaper/at least competitive.
Not to mention Vegas! Drinks and food are Manhattan prices. There is nothing cheap there.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by enviroian
Not to mention Vegas! Drinks and food are Manhattan prices. There is nothing cheap there.
Yet another reason to visit Reno. (Or Downtown Vegas, actually.)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by scubadu
You are not very familiar with Airline Unions are you?

Regards
You're not familiar with unions at all. Unions protect against employer corruption (ex: garbage benefits, excessive hours required without time off, unlawful policies, and OSHA violations).

Asking your employees to promote the company credit card without being compensated (other than your hourly wage) isn't corruption by the company.

Using your logic, employees could take naps on two hour flights and wouldn't be able to get fired because the union will "protect them."

I guess next time I save my company millions of dollars, I should ask for a payday bonus, even though that's what I'm paid to do already.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
You're not familiar with unions at all. Unions protect against employer corruption (ex: garbage benefits, excessive hours required without time off, unlawful policies, and OSHA violations).

Asking your employees to promote the company credit card without being compensated (other than your hourly wage) isn't corruption by the company.

Using your logic, employees could take naps on two hour flights and wouldn't be able to get fired because the union will "protect them."

I guess next time I save my company millions of dollars, I should ask for a payday bonus, even though that's what I'm paid to do already.
Yet they do, and they are. UNION. Union. Union. Keeping the crap and driving away the best!

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 21, 2018 at 9:50 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Wonder how many days it took the PR team to convince themselves of this explanation? Must have said it enough times in the conference room that it magically became true.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
A little surprised at the ad hominems. I'm CEO of a startup data brokerage; I have to know my product to sell it to clients and keep the board up to date. This said: look at many current job postings for MBAs, and options in tech are very limited if you can't do basic data wrangling. Decision drivers of a quarter century ago like Excel or SPSS are rapidly being replaced by Tableau, SQL, and more technical tools. IMHO this holds for not just marketing, but also finance and many sales roles.
Play buzzword bingo all one wants, but at the end of the day, YOU, if successful, will still need to sell whatever your solid animal waste is, to ... a person or people (decision makers), and make them feel good about their decision.

This where AA from top to bottom is missing it. GOING FOR GREAT? Pasture pancakes.

Keeping it OT
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I don't have any data on this (wish I did), but I would have to in general disagree.

I would wager most ~once a year flyers are more typically doing one of a few things:
-- Trying to get to a funeral
-- Going to a rare and special (for their job) work training or conference.
-- Going on a more affordable domestic vacation (Disney World, Vegas, etc)

Perhaps a once every 10 year flyer is more likely doing that one special trip they saved for as you suggest, but those flying a bit more often (about once every year or two) aren't likely able to afford overseas flights that often.
Yes, there may well be more BOS-MCO (or BOS-MSP, which is the same distance) trips than BOS-LHR trips taken by infrequent flyers, but the same is true of frequent flyers. My point was more that the bottom end of the distribution isn’t there for infrequent flyers, leading to a higher average per trip distance for infrequent flyers. Frequent flyers might fly for a 400 mile trip, but most once a year flyers I know won’t even think about flying on a trip that can be driven in 8-10 (or even 16) hours.

Although when it comes to revenue, the fact that leisure travelers won’t consider flying anyway on a 400 mile trip is probably part of the reason they tend to be expensive (especially per mile): no need to offer cheap fares when leisure customers won’t buy anyway and business customers are willing to pay more. So chopping out the bottom end of the trip distance distribution may not chop out the bottom end of the revenue per trip distribution.

But I too am guessing without data other than that 87%/50% statistic from AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.