Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA asks US gvt to refrain using AA to transport separated border kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...ther-not-apart

^
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2018 at 2:24 pm Reason: Add AA statement
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
*yawn.

Any statements on the situation over in Charlotte from this "transportation company"?
IAHtraveler likes this.

Last edited by jcatman; Jun 20, 2018 at 11:34 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:31 am

Good to know, thanks. Quick, unequivocal action on their part after an FA reported such transportation on an AA flight from PHX to MIA..
bobunf likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jun 20, 2018 at 11:37 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Ugh... this thread will likely turn in to an OMNI thread in 5...4...3...

Regards
thunderlounge and Gringa like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
will last until DOT/FAA/TSA head acts against AA
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I think the title of this post is inaccurate. AA is not going to "stop transporting border kids". They've asked the federal government to "immediately refrain" from using the airline for transport. I suspect their contract obligations with the federal government don't allow them to pick and choose which federal government passengers they provide transportation to. Maybe the best course of action is to get a side letter to their current federal government contract if they want to disallow a certain class of travel.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I suspect their contract obligations with the federal government don't allow them to pick and choose which federal government passengers they provide transportation to.
Interesting technical issue. Does their contract covering government employees, contractors etc. explicitly or implicitly include children removed from their parents?
bobunf likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
General quarter....general quarters....man your battle stations...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
United posted the same message.
bobunf likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
The incremental revenue for this certainly isn't worth the bad publicity. Ditto for what Delta did with the sparsely used NRA discount. Maybe the bad publicity associated with the IDB of the United Express passenger in Chicago has done some good?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
AA is expecting a long hard summer. My guess is they felt they had to make a statement to maintain relations with FAs going into july.

I think with 66%+ opposition to what's happening, it ain't a bad business move, either.
bobunf likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oopsz
AA is expecting a long hard summer. My guess is they felt they had to make a statement to maintain relations with FAs going into july.

I think with 66%+ opposition to what's happening, it ain't a bad business move, either.
except AA is still waiting approval for new JV application with QF. And AA is facing questions on the proposed freezing of ORD PEK authority. Of course I am not suggesting any government agencies would delay the application approval based on this business decision. But it does add complexity in the crucial time when AA needs to get things done urgently. (again I am not suggesting all is linked. But I think AA should refrain to be too confrontational at this moment)

in the end this is PR stuff. AA will still have to comply with contractual requirement.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by chongcao
Of course I am not suggesting any government agencies would delay the application approval based on this business decision. .
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I looked at the GSA site and AA holds the contract for DFW-ORD, as an example for travel originating in Texas, at $109 or $193 one way, and that's in place until the end of September, 2018. Southwest holds a similar city pair from Love Field to Midway at a higher price. I don't see anything in AA's press release about not honoring the contract, just the "immediately refrain" wording. I'd expect them to honor the contract if the passenger(s) qualify for the fare, no matter who the passenger is.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I'd expect them to honor the contract if the passenger(s) qualify for the fare, no matter who the passenger is.
But then they might face civil disobedience from some ground staff and FAs, to say nothing of passenger photos and video. This would be bad publicity all around, far worse than the UA involuntary removal thing. So I would guess further 'shipments' will not happen.
bobunf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.