FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Emotional Support Animals in lounges? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1915314-emotional-support-animals-lounges.html)

LupineChemist Jun 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Emotional Support Animals in lounges?

So I know this is a tried and true topic but I'm currently sat in the JFK FL and a woman with a fairly large (50 lb or so) dog was taking food from the buffet and even said that she planned on feeding the dog some of the food from the buffet. It was very clearly NOT a service dog.

I'm very pro-dog and probably on the more permissive side than most for the ESA debate, but I think it would also be reasonable to not allow them into lounges. After all, it's a nice to have part of flying, but hardly something anyone needs (which is the whole point behind the ESA in the first place, they are supposedly a necessity).

I'm just kind of shocked there's not a policy to deny any animals not in kennels in the lounges.

Uzzar Jun 19, 2018 1:02 pm

I have seen pets in carriers in the lounge multiple times in CLT. One poor cat was meowing the whole time.

enpremiere Jun 19, 2018 1:15 pm

I have been known to paw and whimper when an upgrade request at the lounge can't be processed on the spot.

skunker Jun 19, 2018 1:26 pm

ESAs could probably be denied if its not an actual service animal. Airports are governed by the ADA and ESAs don't fall under the ADA.

susiesan Jun 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 29883391)
So I know this is a tried and true topic but I'm currently sat in the JFK FL and a woman with a fairly large (50 lb or so) dog was taking food from the buffet and even said that she planned on feeding the dog some of the food from the buffet. It was very clearly NOT a service dog.

I'm very pro-dog and probably on the more permissive side than most for the ESA debate, but I think it would also be reasonable to not allow them into lounges. After all, it's a nice to have part of flying, but hardly something anyone needs (which is the whole point behind the ESA in the first place, they are supposedly a necessity).

I'm just kind of shocked there's not a policy to deny any animals not in kennels in the lounges.

So go to the front desk and complain. Let the staff handle this. be sure and tell them the woman is giving food to her dog. What if it barfs all over the floor? Who is going to clean it up, the woman? Not likely.

DataPlumber Jun 19, 2018 4:05 pm

This whole ESA thing is a farce and an affront to the those who have a bonafide need for a service dog. I was in the Club at PHX a few weeks ago and this gal was spooning with her dog on the floor of the lounge.https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...945fa2b47.jpeg

davesam12 Jun 19, 2018 4:28 pm

"I was in the Club at PHX a few weeks ago and this gal was spooning with her dog on the floor of the lounge."

My goodness. Is there no basic decorum left while traveling? :confused:

Uncle Nonny Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Could I fly with my wife on my lap? Humans are animals, after all. And the emotional support she gives me can't have a price attached to it. Se'd look great in that little red vest.

AA100k Jun 19, 2018 5:06 pm

I love animals but really don’t want to share space and food with them in the lounge. As for spooning with a dog in the lounge - sick!

nrr Jun 19, 2018 5:10 pm

My deceased dog (54+ years ago) would never be seated on the floor--she loved comfort and would have found the most comfortable chair to stretch out on.:)

work2fly Jun 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but it seems to me that a grown woman spooning with a dog on the floor of an airline lounge just might have a valid need for an emotional support animal.

ROW2Aisle Jun 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber (Post 29884117)
This whole ESA thing is a farce and an affront to the those who have a bonafide need for a service dog. I was in the Club at PHX a few weeks ago and this gal was spooning with her dog on the floor of the lounge.

Is this what is called "Doggy Style" ?https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Often1 Jun 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 29883391)

What did the agent at the desk say when you raised it on the spot?

99% of problems are best dealt with on the spot and if not dealt with were not important to you or to any other passenger.

krazykanuck Jun 19, 2018 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by davesam12 (Post 29884200)
"I was in the Club at PHX a few weeks ago and this gal was spooning with her dog on the floor of the lounge."

My goodness. Is there no basic decorum left while traveling? :confused:

Not when you're in a lounge primarily used by people with Priority Pass cards :p

jcatman Jun 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber (Post 29884117)
This whole ESA thing is a farce and an affront to the those who have a bonafide need for a service dog. I was in the Club at PHX a few weeks ago and this gal was spooning with her dog on the floor of the lounge.

Lord have mercy........disgusting.