Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Weird (excellent) flight...something more to come?

Old Jun 18, 18, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite

On a domestic flight now and haven't experienced this yet. Entire crew is overly friendly and attentive. Offered refills on PDB (no flight delay), Captain directly addresses cabin thanking everyone for spending money with AA, offers of extra bread, cookies or anything from the back. Even the airport staff was going above and beyond (they're always good though).

Just wondering if AA is trialing some enhanced service. While there's often a superstar, it weird that everyone is "playing the same game". I hope this is a sign of better things to come.
railmatt and DenverBrian like this.
Old Jun 18, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1 View Post
On a domestic flight now and haven't experienced this yet. Entire crew is overly friendly and attentive. Offered refills on PDB (no flight delay), Captain directly addresses cabin thanking everyone for spending money with AA, offers of extra bread, cookies or anything from the back. Even the airport staff was going above and beyond (they're always good though).

Just wondering if AA is trialing some enhanced service. While there's often a superstar, it weird that everyone is "playing the same game". I hope this is a sign of better things to come.
Check your BP again...You may be seated in Emirates or CX flight
serfty and apeortdz like this.
Old Jun 18, 18, 2:43 pm

Was on a domestic flight yesterday and it was no different from any other recent flight. Perfectly OK, nothing special.

It does sometimes happen that a given 'team' is more service oriented, just as it happens that surliness pervades the whole team.
Old Jun 18, 18, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Very nice.

I have a theory about very good or very bad flights, at least as it pertains to cabin crew. I’ve known some FAs that discussed ”buddy bidding” and suspect the “birds of a feather flock together” dictum applies. A really dedicated or positive FA would probably prefer flying with collegial high performers, while shirkers would rather enjoy the lower pressure flying with more lackadaisical FAs.

A significant amount of the consulting, training and interventions I performed in workplaces for conflicts remediation occurred because most workers don’t get to select their colleagues, don’t know how to adjust for separate values and other diversity traits, and there’s often an absence of strong corporate culture knitting them together and superseding personal values with corporate values while at work.

In my opinion, it has been a long time since a C. R. Smith, or a Herb Kelleher like leader, imbued AA with a customer-centric corporate culture emphasizing positive efforts and - fun, trust, etc.
newbiztraveler and george 3 like this.
Old Jun 18, 18, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
... Offered refills on PDB (no flight delay) ...
Definitely weird ... 1) for the PDB in the first place, 2) for the refills ...
EGSExec likes this.
Old Jun 18, 18, 4:30 pm
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt
I find that often the captain sets the mood on a flight - when you get a warm welcome from the cockpit, it reinforces to the rest of his or her team a spirit of service.

"A fish rots from the head," so the saying goes.

I once had an AA cabin lead remark to me how excited she was to be flying with a particular captain on that flight.

"He's the best and we all love him."

I notice more of this on AA and DL than I do on UA, that's for sure.
JDiver and newbiztraveler like this.
Old Jun 18, 18, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
I had the same sort of treatment yesterday flying from ORD-DTW - very short flight FA was super friendly, lots of refills if needed and snack basket came out 2 times.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
What I found unusual is that the airport crew were uncharacteristically lighthearted and "fun" too. I've seen these same people many, many times over the years. No complaints about them, but today they were much looser.
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

You don't know this but they're filming a new safety video. As soon as they yell "cut" everything will go back to normal.
Old Jun 18, 18, 9:40 pm

What I found unusual is that the airport crew were uncharacteristically lighthearted and "fun" too. I've seen these same people many, many times over the years. No complaints about them, but today they were much looser.
You're based in Denver. I understand weed is legal in CO now.
Old Jun 18, 18, 9:43 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
This behavior isn’t unusual for PHX based crews. There are always exceptions.
Old Jun 19, 18, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by jfinsocal View Post
This behavior isn’t unusual for PHX based crews. There are always exceptions.
I agree. Probably because they are all ex HP crews.
Old Jun 19, 18, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Plat Preferred

Haven't you heard? AA is "Going for Great" !
Old Jun 19, 18, 11:05 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
I've had great service recently (in F) on IAD-LAX and LAX-BOS. The service (in F) BOS-ORD and back generally is OK. n=10 segments.
Old Jun 19, 18, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Probably feeling good because they aren't stuck in the debacle that is PSA or CLT at the moment

Search this Thread
Search Engine: