Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I have a lot of issues with AA, but this isnt legit, IMO. This thread is like posting unhappily that the earlier flight costs 200 bucks more than the later one (and that's usually true, especially on T, F evenings. The consultant shuttle costs a fortune while the earlier and much later flights are cheaper).

Now, AA making their SDFC policy super restrictive compared to everyone else.... I'll happily join in on that
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
This thread is like posting unhappily that the earlier flight costs 200 bucks more than the later one (and that's usually true, especially on T, F evenings. The consultant shuttle costs a fortune while the earlier and much later flights are cheaper).
And if AA allowed unlimited free standby for earlier flights, how many people would pay for the much cheaper, late flights and try to switch to the earlier ones?

Heck, this is something I've done numerous times as an elite. But the point being, if someone wants to get on an earlier flight, that earlier flight is by definition more valuable than the one they actually paid for. So there's no reason AA should give it away for free.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
And if AA allowed unlimited free standby for earlier flights, how many people would pay for the much cheaper, late flights and try to switch to the earlier ones?

Heck, this is something I've done numerous times as an elite. But the point being, if someone wants to get on an earlier flight, that earlier flight is by definition more valuable than the one they actually paid for. So there's no reason AA should give it away for free.
<bolding mine>

I never thought of that, and cannot wait to try it.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
I never thought of that, and cannot wait to try it.
Aside from the obvious caveat that there won't always be seats available on the earlier flight, I've also had to give up a confirmed upgrade on more than one occasion for a Y seat on the earlier flight. But for the most part I'd much rather have an extra hour or two at home than fly in domestic F.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aside from the obvious caveat that there won't always be seats available on the earlier flight, I've also had to give up a confirmed upgrade on more than one occasion for a Y seat on the earlier flight. But for the most part I'd much rather have an extra hour or two at home than fly in domestic F.
yep. I have done this too, when the earlier flight is 1000 bucks and the one after is 250 or thereabouts. As an EXP, makes the standby odds pretty good.

that said, as an EXP, AA has made a lot of money off me. So I dont think they are unduly worried about us doing this and hoping to get on an earlier flight once in a while. Same thing as waived upgrade copays for CK - if you've made CK, AA makes enough off you that the 350 dollar copay isnt hurting their bottom line.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
I have a lot of issues with AA, but this isnt legit, IMO. This thread is like posting unhappily that the earlier flight costs 200 bucks more than the later one (and that's usually true, especially on T, F evenings. The consultant shuttle costs a fortune while the earlier and much later flights are cheaper).
So what happens when you pay the extra $200, and then your flight gets cancelled (or severely delayed) and you end up on the later one anyway? Think AA will give you a refund? (This is one reason why people hate airlines...). Of course I would have screen shots of the various fares and *would* push for a credit, might even take it to small claims for giggles, but who else does that?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
So what happens when you pay the extra $200, and then your flight gets cancelled (or severely delayed) and you end up on the later one anyway? Think AA will give you a refund? (This is one reason why people hate airlines...). Of course I would have screen shots of the various fares and *would* push for a credit, might even take it to small claims for giggles, but who else does that?
What if it got delayed and you got an op-up on the later flight? I mean, there are always exceptions and unfortunate circumstances. The vast majority of time you get out on time or close on the actual flight you paid for.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Which at one time pre-merger they did. The surmised result is exactly why they stopped it.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by ijgordon
If they know they will NEED the seats later in the day (because of some IRROPs or pending weather or whatever), there's a good chance they will waive the standby fees. But they're not going to do it because YOU think someone else will book your vacated seat at a last-minute sky-high fare (which by the way, isn't even a given these days).
Does AA have a crystal ball? Given what the IR in IRROPs stand for, they won't know .
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the point being, if someone wants to get on an earlier flight, that earlier flight is by definition more valuable than the one they actually paid for.
Sigh, that is blanatly not true. As OP explained quite clearly in the OP, an early arrival airside is what allowed for the possibility of making the earlier flight.

Many times, like OP, people add cushion to airport arrival times and end up early enough to make an earlier flight. That has nothing to do with the value of the flight. In fact, on the starting day of long weekends, you usually see evening flights being more expensive than the morning or early afternoon flights.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Sigh, that is blanatly not true. As OP explained quite clearly in the OP, an early arrival airside is what allowed for the possibility of making the earlier flight.

Many times, like OP, people add cushion to airport arrival times and end up early enough to make an earlier flight. That has nothing to do with the value of the flight. In fact, on the starting day of long weekends, you usually see evening flights being more expensive than the morning or early afternoon flights.
Perhaps I should have said "more valuable to them", which it by definition is.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by trooper
Try flying almost anywhere OTHER than the USA. Ask here in Australia if you can get on the earlier flight and unless the airline has concerns about weather/operational problems later (in which case they likely would have made the offer at check in) you won't be asked to pay $75...You will be told "Your ticket doesn't allow that".
Same with Europe as well. On the BA board there are regular questions (usually from Americans) asking if BA will move them to an earlier flight if they get to the airport early enough.

To which the answer is - yes if you pay the change fee and fare difference or you have a flexible fare that allows changes. Yes there are sometimes exceptions but it's usually if putting you on an earlier flight benefits BA such as anticipated weather issues or the later flight is overbooked and it means one less pax to have to sort out.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps I should have said "more valuable to them", which it by definition is.
Who is "them"? What definition? It's clearly not for someone who never planned to take the earlier flight like OP
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Same with Europe as well. On the BA board there are regular questions (usually from Americans) asking if BA will move them to an earlier flight if they get to the airport early enough.
I had a ticket with KA/CX, not only did they let me switch to an earlier flight, they let me do it from a different airport SHA vs PVG
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Who is "them"? What definition? It's clearly not for someone who never planned to take the earlier flight like OP
OP, and more generally anyone who wants to stand by for an earlier flight, by definition places value on being able to change to the earlier flight. It's eminently reasonable for AA or any company to charge for added value. Not sure if you're arguing in bad faith or just hopelessly confused about an utterly simple concept.
ijgordon likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.