Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
<snip>

AA has it's place, but the reflexive WN hate here just shows me people don't get the model. Which is fine, WN flies 700 or so planes a day for people who DO get that model.
Don’t worry, as Project Oasis (tongue in cheek betting it’ll be Project Awaysis) rolls out to the 737 and A320 family of AA aircraft with the “exciting new” Rockwell Collins Meridian seats while WN runs the MAX 8 Meridians with 32” will agree with you.

WN worked well for me, particularly after PSA, AirCal and Reno were taken over and their route systems killed, for servicing clients as far away as mid-con. But of course, not so well for non-US travel or F/J travel or .
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 18, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I flew Delta last week where I have not status. I wanted to standby for an earlier flight and went to the SkyClub using my AmexPlat. They took my AmexPlat, charged me $75, and put me on standby for the earlier flight.
Wait, you paid $75 and didn't even get a new ticket, just standby?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yes there is, and that is getting willing pax out on an earlier flight with empty seats
Yes, but AA like other companies try to keep benefit and product separation. Say the JW Marriott has a lounge that can seat 50. There's only 5 eligible people staying there - one option is you bump everyone or some, the other is the club level stays empty and you try to upsell to others.

I just don't see this as an AA-is-horrible issue. Sure, AA COULD have done it for free, but they don't per policy. There isn't a universal right or wrong answer here, both sides have valid points. AA chose to go one way with their rules.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Wait, you paid $75 and didn't even get a new ticket, just standby?
As they explained it, it was a conditional charge. If I got on, I paid the $75 and if I didn't, I wouldn't get charged. It was obvious from the loads on ExpertFlyer that I would get on. However, the $75 charge showed up on my Amex immediately (I get Amex alerts on my phone.)

Seems to me this is the same policy AA has.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
AA is just evil! I had CDG-MIA flight in Economy and wanted a business class seat. I asked the ticket agent if she had any seat available in business class and she asked me to pay 421 Euros! How insulting!!!
I will never fly AA again
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
UA has EQD too (albeit named differently)
Yep. I valued not having a minimum spend requirement as more important then the change benefits. Now that both have minimum spend requirements, I go on to the next important factor for me, which is ease and cost of changing. UA clearly wins out, so I've moved back to them. If there was still no spend requirement at AA, I would put up with their very stingy same day confirmed change rules.

Originally Posted by SDQBound
AA is just evil! I had CDG-MIA flight in Economy and wanted a business class seat. I asked the ticket agent if she had any seat available in business class and she asked me to pay 421 Euros! How insulting!!!
I will never fly AA again
I know you're talking tongue in cheek, but there's a big difference from Y to J for free and Y to Y for free.

I tend to think it also makes sense for airlines to let passengers standby move for earlier flights to help alleviate any irrops that may occur later in the day.

Last edited by BThumme; Jun 18, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
Yes
I think that to..
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BThumme
I know you're talking tongue in cheek, but there's a big difference from Y to J for free and Y to Y for free.
In both examples the passenger prefers one flight/class over another. Why not charge for something the passenger values?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Also no CRJ-200s, no change fees, no checked luggage fees, a simple to understand boarding system, and a very straightforward redemption system that doesn't require reading FT to understand the byzantine complexity of, plus decades of being well below the legacies in generating DOT complaints (which are a good first-order approximation of being able to resolve service failures).
WN's boarding system is simple? LOL. How can you get any more simple than "pay attention to the giant boarding group number on the your BP"? WN's system of assigning A,B,C groups is completely opaque to me. Check in right at the the 24 hour mark and still end up in the back half of B? What?

And I haven't ever paid a checked baggage fee on AA - elite status easily takes care of that.

Never mind that AA (and DL and UA) actually fly (or have partners that fly) to where I need to go.

WN's got it's niche. But let's not pretend it's a full service airline.
Proudelitist likes this.

Last edited by bse118; Jun 18, 2018 at 2:55 pm Reason: add
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bse118
WN's boarding system is simple? LOL. How can you get any more simple than "pay attention to the giant boarding group number on the your BP"? WN's system of assigning A,B,C groups is completely opaque to me. Check in right at the the 24 hour mark and still end up in the back half of B? What?

And I haven't ever paid a checked baggage fee on AA - elite status easily takes care of that.

WN's got it's niche. But lets not pretend it a full service airline.

Never mind that AA (and DL and UA) actually fly (or have partners that fly) to where I need to go.
Part of it is WN and people flying WN actually FOLLOW the process. AA's process is simple, but apparently it hasn't been beaten into the passengers yet that it needs to be followed.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Yes, but AA like other companies try to keep benefit and product separation. Say the JW Marriott has a lounge that can seat 50. There's only 5 eligible people staying there - one option is you bump everyone or some, the other is the club level stays empty and you try to upsell to others.
Not sure that analogy works, as the hotel would incur additional costs when placing people on a club level floor. But, an upgrade to a premium view (ocean, park, etc) wouldn't cost the hotel anything. Maybe that's a better analogy. Personally, I'd never complain that a hotel chain was horrible because they didn't give someone that isn't even an occasional guest something for like that for free.

Some concept holds for car rentals. I wouldn't expect free upgrades from economy to a premium cars for everyone just because those premium vehicles aren't reserved.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Some concept holds for car rentals. I wouldn't expect free upgrades from economy to a premium cars for everyone just because those premium vehicles aren't reserved.
My friend works for Enterprise and told me she always book as an economy car as most lots never have them, so she gets a much better car at economy rate. So at least from her perspective, she always gets an upgrade. I was never willing to take that chance though.

I've also seen several times where I could reserve an SUV from National for cheaper than economy car at times. Can't figure that one out.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by asalamon
AA is now even lower than low. Granted I’ve never been an AA or USAir fan (loved Piedmont until USAir destroyed that one - so I’m aging myself). Having traveled for the past 20+ years on multiple airlines for business, I’ve recently been spoiled with the SWA model having lived in the BWI area for the past three years. Also having million mile status on DL and UAL may also influence my feelings about AA. I arrived at the airport early and thought I could get on an earlier flights (they leave every hour). I asked the gate agent if there are any seats and she mentions that the flight is 3/4 full. Then she checks my status and informed me that it will be an additional $75 to go standby. Great for AA’s bottom line, but not for building any form of loyalty with me! They can take that fee structure and go pound sand! They will still be a last resort airline for me. One other note, when I was flying them last week there was a soiled diaper in the seat back. Maybe they could use that $75 that others are paying to improve their sanitation on the airline. How low can AA go?
your post should be titled and complaining about the soiled diaper, not the the capitalistic business idea of charging for a benefit.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bse118

WN's got it's niche. But let's not pretend it's a full service airline.
WN can work well if your travel needs fall within some very rigid rules (which it's good at not showing but waiting until you run into them). I've flown them and found the product to be pleasant enough though I don't get the cult they have. But their system tends to totally fall apart when you're starting from an outstation and their computer system won't go over their hard connection time. Will WN sell me what should be a simple ticket between Pensacola, Florida and San Francisco (or Oakland or San Jose,CA) i? Not on a high percentage of days throughout the year because of the connection time. If I really want that route, I've got to book it as something like a Pensacola-Houston then Houston-San Francisco multi-city ticket to get there, and the two multi-city ticket option can easily run hundreds of dollars more than what American (or United or Delta) will sell me.

I'm a weirdo in FT terms who doesn't care about lounges or first class tickets or free alcohol on flights. I just want to be able to book a plane ticket to a destination without having to jump through too many hoops and for a reasonable price, and WN's flight schedules are a major fail out of my local airports. I'm currently sitting on a bunch of WN points right now because I can't find decent flight schedule options to use them on.

American and the rest of the legacies are just significantly more interested in doing business with people like in in places where I live.

As for the original poster, want ticket change flexibility, but the ticket where that's written into the terms and conditions of sale.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
My friend works for Enterprise and told me she always book as an economy car as most lots never have them, so she gets a much better car at economy rate. So at least from her perspective, she always gets an upgrade. I was never willing to take that chance though.

I've also seen several times where I could reserve an SUV from National for cheaper than economy car at times. Can't figure that one out.
If that happened 10 years ago, I would be annoyed. I would want the economy car as I have no desire to pay for the extra fuel on the SUV unless they provided a free tank to begin with. Nowadays, it's less of an issue as fuel economy has improved across the board and fuel is still relatively cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.