Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can AA get any worse? (Charging nonstatus pax $75 standby complaint)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Thats pretty optimistic , seeing how its a fixed $75 fee and not dynamic based on demand/supply.
not really - it doesn't matter that seats go empty on some flights - what matters is what is earned overall

Being able to pay $75 and get on an earlier flight is an option for those that value getting to their destination earlier without the requirement of having to buy a flexible ticket

No one is being forced to take the option up - but I also see no good reason to have a sulk and leave poor teddy out of the warmth of the pram when the airline states that this is the price

Which is the better option for passenger
(a) have possibility to pay $75 and be able to travel earlier
(b) have to wait for booked flight regardless

Which will make more revenue for the airline
(a) charging $75 to those that want to change to a different flight
(b) do it for free
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Which is the better option for passenger
(a) have possibility to pay $75 and be able to travel earlier
(b) have to wait for booked flight regardless
If the passenger's original plans were based on the (b), then that depends on what the passenger could be able to do with the new time vs f&b on AA's dime in the AC
Which will make more revenue for the airline
(a) charging $75 to those that want to change to a different flight
(b) do it for free
You ignore that fact that the airline now has a freed up seat on a later flight and filled up a seat on an earlier flight.
but I also see no good reason to have a sulk and leave poor teddy out of the warmth of the pram when the airline states that this is the price
Oh you can bet that I will make the most of my layover if I have lounge access and also not help out the airline if they need whatevs, if they feel like gouging a fee that costs them nothing.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Oh you can bet that I will make the most of my layover if I have lounge access and also not help out the airline if they need whatevs, if they feel like gouging a fee that costs them nothing.
What does that even mean? I can't imagine eating $75 worth of soup and carrots (edit: referencing trying to "make the most" of an Admirals Club visit), and how is the airline asking you for help?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
What does that even mean? I can't imagine eating $75 worth of soup and carrots, and how is the airline asking you for help?
By getting on an earlier flight
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:10 pm

You ignore that fact that the airline now has a freed up seat on a later flight and filled up a seat on an earlier flight..
So what? there is an empty seat. unless there is an oversell situation on the flight that the passenger is booked on, then it doesn't matter

The passenger is not doing the airline a favour by offering to get on an earlier ( or later flight ) - the passenger is doing it because it benefits the passenger
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what? there is an empty seat. unless there is an oversell situation on the flight that the passenger is booked on, then it doesn't matter
It means that no one is losing a seat

The passenger is not doing the airline a favour by offering to get on an earlier ( or later flight ) [/QUOTE]
The passenger is doing the favor by going on an earlier flight and thus relieving the airline of a future risk.
- the passenger is doing it because it benefits the passenger
No, because it benefits both.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:24 pm

It means that no one is losing a seat

The passenger is doing the favor by going on an earlier flight and thus relieving the airline of a future risk.
No, because it benefits both.
Who says that anyone is losing a seat? It is obviously not viewed as a benefit by the airline to give a free change to the passenger vs charging for it

If the passenger is just doing the airline a favour by getting on the earlier flight, then no reason to be disappointed if the airline does the passenger a favour and saves the passenger from being put up and chooses not to take them up on their kind and generous offer

Alternatively it may be that the airline thinks that it is the passenger that is looking for a benefit of travelling on another flight and so has in place a charging structure to gain revenue from these passengers that want to buy a ticket that has change restrictions and also want to make changes on the day of travel
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who says that anyone is losing a seat? It is obviously not viewed as a benefit by the airline to give a free change to the passenger vs charging for it
The airline is not losing a passenger who would have paid for that seat
If the passenger is just doing the airline a favour by getting on the earlier flight, then no reason to be disappointed if the airline does the passenger a favour and saves the passenger from being put up and chooses not to take them up on their kind and generous offer
"put up"? What does that even mean?
Alternatively it may be that the airline thinks that it is the passenger that is looking for a benefit of travelling on another flight and so has in place a charging structure to gain revenue from these passengers that want to buy a ticket that has change restrictions and also want to make changes on the day of travel
And that is what bothers some people, that there's zero cost to the airline at that point, yet they nickel and dime people.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
And if you can charge them $75 for it then even better! You mentioned adaptive pricing i.e. AA float the price of the SDFC based on current supply/demand, however that is likely not practical because the information required is simply not there and the adaptive algorithm itself might not generalize well to the long run since it's likely based on short-term data. Whatever AA/Delta/United analysis which was used to arrive at the $75 price point in the first place is probably good enough than any adaptive scheme is seen as too expensive, confusing, difficult to implement, and worth very little gain.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muishkin
And if you can charge them $75 for it then even better! You mentioned adaptive pricing i.e. AA float the price of the SDFC based on current supply/demand, however that is likely not practical because the information required is simply not there and the adaptive algorithm itself might not generalize well to the long run since it's likely based on short-term data.
I didn't suggest that as an alternative. I pointed out that AA declined to use it. The information is already there: the fare buckets. But lets not gloss over the obvious: 99% of the time, econ seats empty 1-2 hours before a flight are going out empty.
Whatever AA/Delta/United analysis which was used to arrive at the $75 price point in the first place is probably good enough than any adaptive scheme is seen as too expensive, confusing, difficult to implement, and worth very little gain.
    Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:54 pm

The airline is not losing a passenger who would have paid for that seat
    The seat might well go to just someone else wanting to get on an earlier flight or just stay empty

Unless the flight is going to be oversold and the airline going to have to compensate passengers, getting $75 seems, to me, to be gain

"put up"? What does that even mean?
    typo - was supposed to be "put out"

And that is what bothers some people, that there's zero cost to the airline at that point, yet they nickel and dime people.
    So what if it costs the airline nothing, there are lots of things that one could argue cost the airline nothing ; that is not a reason to give it away; if a passenger feels that it is worth paying to get on an earlier flight , the person can; if it is just viewed as "nickels" and "dimes", then it is a small enough cost that should be of no concern

Regardless, you might think that you are doing the airline a favour , the airline doesn't seem to agree .... and it is the airline that is deciding on the charges
    Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:23 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless the flight is going to be oversold and the airline going to have to compensate passengers, getting $75 seems, to me, to be gain
    And that's the point. It is advantage to have put a passenger on an earlier flight thats about to go out than keep on a later flight where things could go wrong later.
    that is not a reason to give it away; if a passenger feels that it is worth paying to get on an earlier flight , the person can
    You assume the latter is true.
    Regardless, you might think that you are doing the airline a favour , the airline doesn't seem to agree .... and it is the airline that is deciding on the charges
    And if I had a nickel for every post on FT with this type of complaint, I could afford to fly full fare intl F
    Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:26 pm

I didn't suggest that as an alternative. I pointed out that AA declined to use it. The information is already there: the fare buckets. But lets not gloss over the obvious: 99% of the time, econ seats empty 1-2 hours before a flight are going out empty.
    AA declined to use it for the reasons that I pointed out already. It's more complex than just the fare buckets. Basically you'll need an accurate reward function that maps the price of SDFC to the revenue. First, you'll need to know the price which will maximize your revenue from selling SDFC for the current flight. Lets assume for simplicity's sake that this optimal point in terms of revenue is where the supply is more than the demand (could be true). The supply curve of the current flight is a fixed constant and is known. However, the day to day demand curve is not known accurately because of the uncertainties in the number of people looking to SDFC and how much they wanted it. However, we are not finished just yet. The second part is to consider that if you lower the SDFC price to below that optimal point, then you might get more people to SDFC which free AA to sell more seats on the later flight. However to estimate this accurately you'll need to know the probability that the freed seats of the later flight will be sold. I doubt AA knows this accurately.

So you have this reward function:

D(SDFC_price)*SDFC_price + max(P(D(SDFC_price))*Fare*D(SDFC_price)-Free_Seats * Fare, 0)

where D is the demand curve of SDFC for the current flight, and P is the probability function that I mentioned, and Free_Seats is the existing number of free seats on the later flight.

You can't optimize this reward function without knowing something about functions D and P.
    Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:33 pm

And that's the point. It is advantage to have put a passenger on an earlier flight thats about to go out than keep on a later flight where things could go wrong later.
    You assume the latter is true.
    And if I had a nickel for every post on FT with this type of complaint, I could afford to fly full fare intl F
    Generally things do not go wrong and so no benefit to the airline - there is a benefit in getting $75 from those wishing to change flights

If the person cannot afford the $75 or doesn't feel it is worth it, the person gets to travel on the booked flight
    ijgordon likes this.
    Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:38 pm

People who want free stuff will always come up with the most creative and impassioned arguments about how giving them free stuff is an objectively sound business strategy
    ijgordon and rossmacd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.