Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PSA computer glitch impacting CLT (14-21 Jun 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PSA computer glitch impacting CLT (14-21 Jun 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely, when I started flying UA i was confused about the relationship between them and UX carriers.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by chitownjeff
Well they even say it's going to take more days to return to normal, so Thursday might be affected.

I'm just baffled by the lack of communication. It's like they are saying PSA is a completely different company rather than a division.
Isn't there a saying "Success has a thousand fathers. Failure is a b*****d"?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I cannot (can) believe how AA is basically making it seem like they have nothing to do with this. When Delta had their meltdown in 2016, their CEO issues a public statement offering refunds and $200 travel vouchers. I get this is PSA and not mainline AA, but like we all said, AA owns PSA, it's AA painted a/c, with passengers who bought tickets on AA. To 99/100 passengers affected by this, this is an AA issue, they don't know or care about the wholly-owned nonsense.

Can you imagine how bad it will be if AA mainline has an IT meltdown? They bungled the crap out of this, imagine if the whole of AA went down...

But hey, AA promises Customer Relations will be contacting everyone. I have a bridge to sell you in Tibet.

Also, as someone who used to work for Piedmont, and still talks regularly to some former co-workers, I feel really bad for those workers. The entirety of E term in CLT Gate Agents are Piedmont, another wholly-owned who has nothing to do with it, but these poor workers surely have worked double time, and taken the brunt of frustration for this failure for days.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I’d understand the lack of action if it were the Compass operated flights, but PSA is so much larger and wholly owned so AA should do better here.

I am connecting mainline to mainline at CLT this afternoon and can’t wait to see the zoo.
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by SpinOn2

Also, as someone who used to work for Piedmont, and still talks regularly to some former co-workers, I feel really bad for those workers. The entirety of E term in CLT Gate Agents are Piedmont, another wholly-owned who has nothing to do with it, but these poor workers surely have worked double time, and taken the brunt of frustration for this failure for days.
Yeah I feel bad for them as well. Not their faults, not even their employer, yet they are definitely getting the brunt of the abuse/work.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by SS255
Isn't there a saying "Success has a thousand fathers. Failure is a b*****d"?
Failure is an orphan. JFK, 1961.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
The entirety of E term in CLT Gate Agents are Piedmont, another wholly-owned who has nothing to do with it, but these poor workers surely have worked double time, and taken the brunt of frustration for this failure for days.
I found this interesting. Isn't CLT PSA's largest station? Does this mean PSA doesn't have any gate agents of their own anywhere?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:46 am

Scheduled to fly DCA to DTW on PSA this coming Friday for a wedding, so timing is important. (PSA flight cancelled again today, BTW.) Called AA last night, asked politely, and was moved to Thursday evening flight on Republic without any fuss. EXP booked on paid (restricted) first (I class). Was very pleased with the call center rep who also confided how frustrated they are.

What I am not pleased about is that the AA website still has nothing about this in the travel advisory alert section. Good communication buys good will. Poor communication is inexcusable in the information age.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AAway
I found this interesting. Isn't CLT PSA's largest station? Does this mean PSA doesn't have any gate agents of their own anywhere?
Yes, CLT is by far PSA's biggest station. Also correct, PSA doesn't employ front-line workers. They are just pilots, FA's, Dispatchers, Maintenance, Crew Schedulers, etc. Not even ground workers. So most of the people dealing with these impacted customers face to face are Piedmont workers, maybe some mainline at CLT as well, and maybe another vendor.... but none of the people taking the face to face public frustration are actually PSA.
AAway likes this.

Last edited by SpinOn2; Jun 20, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA
I was one of the EXP flyers impacted by this weeks' PSA scheduling issues. I am going back to Delta starting at the end of July. This issue was one of the deciding factors along with AA route changes and fare increases. On one route, AA is $200 more expensive than Delta. Unfortunately, my Delta status match has expired. I am tall and wide so I love sitting in the middle seat on Delta's MD-80's. The look on the people's face on either side of me is priceless!
EGSExec likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Departure board at CLT today. Long lines at the Admirals Club, thankfully one agent was saying "ID scan only" and took those of us not affected. Annoyingly for me, my Republic flight this morning cancelled and when I called to rebook I was told the wait time was over two hours. I had to take the worse autorebook option I was given as by the time an agent called me back, the better option was gone.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
I don't know how they can say 70-80 percent of the PSA flights went out on Wed. In SDF only 2 flights went to CLT, both delayed over 3 hours. The other 6 or so flights were cancelled.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by shmom
I don't know how they can say 70-80 percent of the PSA flights went out on Wed. In SDF only 2 flights went to CLT, both delayed over 3 hours. The other 6 or so flights were cancelled.
They got 70-80% of Tuesday's flights out on Wednesday, perhaps.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:06 am

I haven't seen an update on this issue this morning (6/21). Neither AA or piedmont airlines have any updates on their web sites - at least on the front page.

I called customer service yesterday morning (6/20) and actually got through to a human and they said everything is back to normal. And then almost every flight from ORF to CLT was cancelled or delayed. Called again this morning and was again told things are back to normal. I'd rather not drive 17 hours but I'd rather do that than get stuck in charlotte where they don't have rental cars available.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by chitownjeff
I haven't seen an update on this issue this morning (6/21). Neither AA or piedmont airlines have any updates on their web sites - at least on the front page.
The issue affects PSA, which to my knowledge has no relationship to Piedmont, other than they are both AA subsidiaries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.