Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is CLT the new ORD (must avoid airport)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Never liked CLT, myself. Smelly, crowded airport, and unfriendly employees. I'd prefer DFW or ORD, and PHX/PHL isn't that bad. I have yet to connect through JFK and MIA.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Never liked CLT, myself. Smelly, crowded airport, and unfriendly employees. I'd prefer DFW or ORD, and PHX/PHL isn't that bad. I have yet to connect through JFK and MIA.
Compared to PHL, agents at CLT are angels....
plon likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
DFW has them also, as does ATL. (Store #1 is within hollerin' distance from ATL airport).

There used to be a website somewhere with a list of "worst airports to get stuck overnight".

ORD is a great airport. Lots of things to do if you're stuck there. Lots of nearby hotels if it's gonna be a long wait.
I do get the sense that if things go bad at ORD, there are lots of hotels in the area to handle the mess. Rosemont is full of them. As is Elk Grove Village. I do not get the same feel from CLT. Maybe its the drive down Billy Graham Parkway, but CLT has an "out of town" feel that ORD does not have.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
DFW has them also, as does ATL. (Store #1 is within hollerin' distance from ATL airport).

There used to be a website somewhere with a list of "worst airports to get stuck overnight".

ORD is a great airport. Lots of things to do if you're stuck there. Lots of nearby hotels if it's gonna be a long wait.
When you have Popeyes at DFW (I think Terminal D)...you don't need CFA

DFW has been fine for me, no major delay, just slim-to-none upgrade chance.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
ORD will remain at my top to avoid. I did have some delays in CLT, but not as bad as ORD.

OT: as a kid who went to school with on campus Chick-fil-a, I much prefer bojangles at CLT
I went to a school with an on-campus Chick-fil-A; the campus locations are "licensed locations"-not nearly as good as the real thing; don't judge Chick-fil-A by the second-rate campus locations. I always considered Bojangle's and Popeye's to be a "poor man's Chick-fil-A", and much less healthy and lower-quality than Chick-fil-A, but that's my personal opinion.

Back on topic, I find CLT find and have had few flight issues there, despite commuting through it for 20 years. The main downside is how extremely overcrowded it is, and a second downside is having to spend maybe 20-30 minutes taxiing around the airport tarmac when coming from the southeast and heading to the E concourse.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:23 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Irrespective of the airport my major complaint regarding AA cancellations in situations where they are responsible ( non weather related) is that if you have to overnight there is generally speaking no one to help you with hotels, taxi and meal vouchers and rebooking. Their position IMHO is sorry it didn't work out tonight but we are going home now and you people sort it out and we will see you tomorrow. The by product of this is also that AA ends up paying out much less in hotel, taxis and meals than they are obligated to and one wonders whether this is intentional on their part. When this has happened to me I find myself a room and feel sorry for those without the points, expense accounts or the financial ability to absorb the hit. There are those who say you can just submit your expenses to AA for reimbursement as if that is a simple process that works and although I have not done that I can't imagine how difficult it must be to actually see the money.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Give me CLT for a domestic connection any day.

Yes, it's crowded. Yes, it's under construction. But it's efficient. It's easy to navigate. I'll happily book a 35 minute connection at CLT.

JFK. That's the airport to avoid.

Crew availability / time-outs on evening flights are not necessarily a sign of problems at that airport. Nor is it surprising that if you are booking the last flights of the day, as evening flights often are, that alternate options after a cancellation aren't until the next day.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I refuse to make return international connections through PHL, agree CLT is all about timing.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by abk
Irrespective of the airport my major complaint regarding AA cancellations in situations where they are responsible ( non weather related) is that if you have to overnight there is generally speaking no one to help you with hotels, taxi and meal vouchers and rebooking. Their position IMHO is sorry it didn't work out tonight but we are going home now and you people sort it out and we will see you tomorrow. The by product of this is also that AA ends up paying out much less in hotel, taxis and meals than they are obligated to and one wonders whether this is intentional on their part. When this has happened to me I find myself a room and feel sorry for those without the points, expense accounts or the financial ability to absorb the hit. There are those who say you can just submit your expenses to AA for reimbursement as if that is a simple process that works and although I have not done that I can't imagine how difficult it must be to actually see the money.
This is the pernicious influence of the USAir culture on what used to be a good airline, IMHO. Passengers are just an annoyance to be dealt with. Similarly, AA used to be famous for the ease in booking low-mileage award tickets. Now? Forget it.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by abk
There are times when holding a credit card that offers "trip delay" insurance is invaluable. (And that is not to condone bad behavior on AA's part when it engages in same.)
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:08 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by guv1976
There are times when holding a credit card that offers "trip delay" insurance is invaluable. (And that is not to condone bad behavior on AA's part when it engages in same.)
For the last several years I have charged my air tickets based on the credit card with the best "insurance" as opposed to the most miles. At some level I am a little surprised that the card companies haven't made their benefits secondary in cases where the airline is primarily responsible. It's not as if they can subrogate to get there payments back.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Compared to PHL, agents at CLT are angels....
I beg to differ. Had the opposite experience. CLT agents almost always seem fake nice but then are rude/surly if pressed, while PHL, while rude/surly, at least are upfront about it and you know exactly where you stand. No "bless your heart" nonsense.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold
For AA hubs, my preferences are as follows (best to worst):

DFW
ORD
LAX
DCA
CLT
PHL
LGA

Not including MIA and JFK because no reason to go there unless going internationally.

Also, Zaxby’s.

Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
When you have Popeyes at DFW (I think Terminal D)...you don't need CFA

DFW has been fine for me, no major delay, just slim-to-none upgrade chance.
I also prefer DFW, and it’s top of my list. It also needs a Whataburger, just sayin.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:11 pm
abk

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I also prefer DFW, and it’s top of my list. It also needs a Whataburger, just sayin.
Dallas metro has In-n- Out burger locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.