Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
There have been sufficient posts over the years on this topic so as to extend the scope of this thread from one instance to multiple instances of passengers asking to exchange seats with you.

The prevailing ideas of seat exchange etiquette seem to include:

Ask, don’t assume or surprise another passenger by poaching another passenger’s seat first, then asking when confronted. At that point, even for those willing, you’ll probably get a curt “no” reply - at best.

Ask nicely.

Try to have a reasonable purpose - you’re a companion to a person with a disability or condition requiring your assistance and the airline had no adjacent seats to sell.

Don’t expect a better seat to be granted for your worse seat. Ever.

Thank the other person. Shouting them a drink, etc. is even better.

Accept “no” gracefully; it wasn’t ever your seat.
Print Wikipost

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mhy
Dear god, what do you even say to those people? for the first two I would have just started laughing hysterically for about 5 seconds then stared right into their eyes without a word.
First time I was nice about it. Second and third times it was clear to me that I was being addressed as someone who mattered less than them and I basically just said "nah, go away." I'll let you guess if they were huge dicks to me after that or not...
mhy likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Agent wanted to separate two parties in J instead of only one

Recently I flew from EZE to LAX in J (equipment is 787-9) with a companion, so we were booked in two center seats (D and H). At check-in the agent said a couple was flying in A and L on the same row. The agent wanted to move one of us to L, so as to have us in H and L, and the couple in A and D. The agent tried to shame me into saying yes, saying we'd "still be close" and the couple wouldn't be separated anymore only if I did this. This of course was bananas because not only are these J seats super private, but window and center seats are also staggered so that there's no chance that anyone can communicate across the aisle without literally standing.

Of course I declined. But if you're going to try and arrange this at least know the seats... Would've screwed two parties instead of just one.
u01sss3, mhy, Thysk and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SEA737
Recently I flew from EZE to LAX in J (equipment is 787-9) with a companion, so we were booked in two center seats (D and H). At check-in the agent said a couple was flying in A and L on the same row. The agent wanted to move one of us to L, so as to have us in H and L, and the couple in A and D. The agent tried to shame me into saying yes, saying we'd "still be close" and the couple wouldn't be separated anymore only if I did this. This of course was bananas because not only are these J seats super private, but window and center seats are also staggered so that there's no chance that anyone can communicate across the aisle without literally standing.

Of course I declined. But if you're going to try and arrange this at least know the seats... Would've screwed two parties instead of just one.
This sounds like a case of that agent having never been on that type of aircraft. Since it doesn't sound like an outstation staffed with airport contract workers, I'm surprised that airline employees don't use their nonrev benefits to travel.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I and we have had so few upgrades clear in the last couple or three years I'd be thrilled to both get seats in the front. We won't get divorced because we can't see each other for a few hours. Some trips not seeing each other for a few hours may keep us from getting divorced.
deeruck, Statman, SJOGuy and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
I commend the GA for trying to solve it before the flight, but not so much for putting OP on the spot. That should be done separately. Also, I would not ask someone with a premium seat like that to switch her, I'd think they should ask someone who is in a nearby aisle seat to switch. If it's such a problem for her, she should be fine taking a slightly worse aisle seat at the least.
Not just slightly worse. She picked the exit row seat, knowing that she has that cardiac condition and knowing that she's traveling with a pet or fake emotional support animal. Put her in something like 32B.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Row 11 is the 4th row of economy and also has extra legroom - really - I can't see that many people would have a huge concern

If asking someone to move from a seat with extra legroom to a normal one, I can see that it might not be appealing , but cannot imagine that there are really that many people obsessed about being in the front row and the extra 60 seconds it might take to get off of the aeroplane

You were asked, you declined - the agent assumedly asked another person and that person agreed - seems like no issue at all
What about not wanting someone to recline into you? People in the bulkhead row, generally decided to be there for a reason.
I dislike the tray table reducing the seat width in exit rows, but I would rather sit in one than in a row that might have ESAs and/or children
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
What about not wanting someone to recline into you?
This is one request I always honor if asked nicely. If the guy behind me is a jerk about it or kicks the back of my seat then I just ignore the request.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Why would I want to do that. 11D.E are double seats. there is no F. I"m asking to trade one exit row seat, 11C for another exit row seat 11E on an A321 Tons of leg room. No need to have two people next to you.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tomj888
Why would I want to do that. 11D.E are double seats. there is no F. I"m asking to trade one exit row seat, 11C for another exit row seat 11E on an A321 Tons of leg room. No need to have two people next to you.
11E is a better seat than 11C. Since there's no aisle on your right, you can stick your elbows there without being hit by the cart or passing passengers, as it happens with 11C. Also, the person to your left (11D) is an aisle, so they have more space on their left, unlike 11C, where 11B is a middle seat.

You are asking someone to trade the better seat (11E) for a slightly worse seat (11C). Not terribly worse, but still. You could instead ask 11B (middle) to trade for your 11D, and then you not be asking someone to give up a better seat.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Not sure I agree. My daughter is in 11C. I am in 11E. The seat we are talking about is 11D. both are aisle seats. If the D person switches with me, my daughter sits next to me. She is 5'10" 150 lbs. So she is not a petite person. Either way the kind soul that switches with me will be faced with an aisle. Both seats have the most amount of legroom on the plane. I don't see it being a problem or any kind of a downgrade.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not sure I agree. My daughter is in 11C. I am in 11E. The seat we are talking about is 11D. both are aisle seats. If the D person switches with me, my daughter sits next to me. She is 5'10" 150 lbs. So she is not a petite person. Either way the kind soul that switches with me will be faced with an aisle. Both seats have the most amount of legroom on the plane. I don't see it being a problem or any kind of a downgrade.
Oh I see, I misread it. I thought you wanted the 11E person to switch. Sounds reasonable.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Oh I see, I misread it. I thought you wanted the 11E person to switch. Sounds reasonable.
You didn’t misread it, the way you interpreted it is exactly how (s)he wrote it. Presumably just an error on their end.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
I think the main sticking point is that there are three seats in the row 11 a/b/c side and no underseat storage (low hard wall) unlike 11d/e which allows you to store your carry on in the seat in front of you. If you really just want to sit next to your daughter, you should ask the person sitting in 11b to switch with you.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:55 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by arjaok
The last three requests I got were:

-please trade your F seat for a Y seat because my daughter prefers first.
-I upgraded my wife and thought she had an F seat but its MCE, can you switch with her?
-I dont like sitting in the bulkhead row, so will you sit there instead?

So I've adopted the "headphones go on immediately and we simply don't talk to these people" strategy. I genuinely think people should be kicked off the flight for making these type of requests.
My Love, these sort of anecdotes are the life blood of FlyerTalk. They are the reason that I am here. These are simply priceless. The cheek of some people still manages to flabbergast me after all these years.

I once was aboard a flight to HNL from LAX in F. I was a proper fare payer rather than deadheading or positioning. As we landed late, I had to race to get to what was the last flight of the day, so much so that I had no chance to change out of my BA uniform. I was tired and Nearly dozed after having the welcome aboard Bubbles as they now call them. This man suddenly laid into me. « What are you doing in there! My wife didn’t get her upgrade because of the likes of you. You’re airline so you should be in the back I’m Executive Platinum and we should not have staff upgraded over us! » I was in no mood to start arguing so I just got one of the Flight Attendants who happened to be the lead to deal with this. He kicked off at her, his wife started screaming and yelling and by this time the Captain came back. Everyone went out on the jetway and I have no idea what was said, but they went past me again down to Economy.

When I’m paying, I’m not moving.
Spiff, SK, happeemonkee and 9 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My Love, these sort of anecdotes are the life blood of FlyerTalk. They are the reason that I am here. These are simply priceless. The cheek of some people still manages to flabbergast me after all these years.

I once was aboard a flight to HNL from LAX in F. I was a proper fare payer rather than deadheading or positioning. As we landed late, I had to race to get to what was the last flight of the day, so much so that I had no chance to change out of my BA uniform. I was tired and Nearly dozed after having the welcome aboard Bubbles as they now call them. This man suddenly laid into me. « What are you doing in there! My wife didn’t get her upgrade because of the likes of you. You’re airline so you should be in the back I’m Executive Platinum and we should not have staff upgraded over us! » I was in no mood to start arguing so I just got one of the Flight Attendants who happened to be the lead to deal with this. He kicked off at her, his wife started screaming and yelling and by this time the Captain came back. Everyone went out on the jetway and I have no idea what was said, but they went past me again down to Economy.

When I’m paying, I’m not moving.
A classic DYKWIA story. That passenger and his wife are very lucky they weren't kicked off the flight.
AANYC1981 and MADPhil like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.