Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
There have been sufficient posts over the years on this topic so as to extend the scope of this thread from one instance to multiple instances of passengers asking to exchange seats with you.

The prevailing ideas of seat exchange etiquette seem to include:

Ask, don’t assume or surprise another passenger by poaching another passenger’s seat first, then asking when confronted. At that point, even for those willing, you’ll probably get a curt “no” reply - at best.

Ask nicely.

Try to have a reasonable purpose - you’re a companion to a person with a disability or condition requiring your assistance and the airline had no adjacent seats to sell.

Don’t expect a better seat to be granted for your worse seat. Ever.

Thank the other person. Shouting them a drink, etc. is even better.

Accept “no” gracefully; it wasn’t ever your seat.
Print Wikipost

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by solewalker
Off-topic, but:

Strike 1: Putting feet on bulkhead
Strike 2: Treating the plane like her living room by throwing all her .... on the floor
Strike 3: Taking up so much personal space that Mr 8E is now squished up based on his body language.

Meh.
If a fourth were required: Yammering away on her cell phone.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Antarius
OT but why 3E? Bulkhead/bags on top + getting bumped by people (not as bad as 3B)

I used to like 3F until this moron broke my laptop by shoving a suitcase onto my backpack. Now 4F always
Having been in two (2) emergency evacuations in Y and one in F in the early '80s when I REALLY first started traveling for business, being close to a/the door/exit became a #1 priority. It is now, and will be into the future, regardless of F, C, or Y. Mrs Dallas49er, after our 1st (and only, so far) emergency evacuation together in 1991, while still HATING any bulkhead in domestic F, books bulkhead aisle 100+% of the time when flying without me.

So, if DYKWIA lady (and her Faux "service animal"), Mr. or Ms. DYKWIA business person wants to sit next to his/her "associate, or some parent will suffer separation anxiety if not able to sit next to their ... over 5 year old offspring, the answer still will be (initially politely) always be: " No thank you. I have, for reasons of my own, chosen this seat, and for those reasons, choose NOT to change. Thank you for respecting my choice".

My .02 cents, or .017 euros.
bethyy likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:23 am

Once I was simply moved without consent. I was paged at the gate and handed a new BP by a gate agent when I approached the counter.

This was several years ago in an old config 777, and I wasn’t exactly fond of my bulkhead middle seat of 5 that I had to pick due to a last minute change.

I was given an aisle seat on the same row to accommodate a family sitting together so no complaints there for what clearly was a better seat. The bulkhead did not extend all the way in front of the seat, so unlimited legroom

Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
When I was standing next to the offending pooch holding faux medical claim lady at the gate desk I noticed there was no ESA notification anywhere on that scruffy little mongrel. She was holding it in her arms at the gate, it wasn't on the floor. I do recall the shocked look when I nixed her request up front and center. I think the gate agent was a little taken too by my immediate, yet polite, denial of requested seat change.

So it makes you wonder how this lady got in this position in the first place. Was she online selecting a seat and choose the exit row, but didn't read the disclaimer that follows hoping to not "get caught". How about the "ESA"? Is that addressed in the exit row disclaimer?

Yes the body language of the poor eff in 8E says "I hate rat dogs" and "I can't stand this faux ESA shiite" and "lady, I have the middle so it is assumed I get claim to each arm rest".
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:57 am

I love reading these experiences on flying. The behaviors of passengers, and the Hokey Pokey of Airline staff trying to accommodate the "needs" of passengers amuse me. The DYKWIA and the seat dilemma's are the best reading fodder in the morning. I am always amazed at what the frequent flyers deal with on what seems to be a regular basis. Keep the stories coming.
ESPECIALROB and elsaglass like this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Off-topic, but:

Strike 3: Taking up so much personal space that Mr 8E is now squished up based on his body language.

Meh.
Or Mr 8E was attempting to avoid all body contact with the mangy animal. Or the creature has fleas.

This brings up should the gullible do gooder consulted the 2 other seat mates before surrendering the seat and allowing a lap animal into the row. I know if I was Mr 8E I would be quite disturbed by the change, bad enough getting the middle seat!
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:05 pm

Off-topic, but:
Strike 2: Treating the plane like her living room by throwing all her .... on the floor
She appears to have dropped her red flask on the floor. Poor old drunk, maybe that explains her behavior 😀
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
She appears to have dropped her red flask on the floor. Poor old drunk, maybe that explains her behavior 😀
“I need my ‘heart medicine’ readily at hand at all times.”
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
She appears to have dropped her red flask on the floor. Poor old drunk, maybe that explains her behavior ��

It’s actually a battery pack. Notice the wires coming out?

....Back to bashing the lady and her dog.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
What do you want to bet that was a "service dog"?
The absence of a pet carrier should imply service dog or ESA, which BTW is not required to have a vest or other indication that it's an ESA. If so, the GA would be "entitled" to move someone to give the dog space in the bulkhead row as the animal would give passenger a special need, without even mentioning the cardiac condition.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 16, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
This says it all, and the best.

Sorry it's the wrong airline's old theme music.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian

32B aircraft

this woman is in 8F now. Apparently AA put someone else on the spot and relented.

Not me.
Kudos to you.
elsaglass likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian

I forgot to mention she had no pet carrier.
....and the feet on the bulkhead just finishes the telling of this story.
elsaglass likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Row 11 is the 4th row of economy and also has extra legroom - really - I can't see that many people would have a huge concern

If asking someone to move from a seat with extra legroom to a normal one, I can see that it might not be appealing , but cannot imagine that there are really that many people obsessed about being in the front row and the extra 60 seconds it might take to get off of the aeroplane

You were asked, you declined - the agent assumedly asked another person and that person agreed - seems like no issue at all
I think you're missing an important detail, at least to me.

I'm a window person. If I had 8A, there's absolutely no way I would switch to an aisle non-reclining row (11C, in this case).

AA had to get the dog out of the exit row and they put the OP on the spot to solve it. I'm glad he denied them, it's pretty rude of AA to do this in front of the other pax they're trying to reaccomodate.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I think you're missing an important detail, at least to me.

I'm a window person. If I had 8A, there's absolutely no way I would switch to an aisle non-reclining row (11C, in this case).

AA had to get the dog out of the exit row and they put the OP on the spot to solve it. I'm glad he denied them, it's pretty rude of AA to do this in front of the other pax they're trying to reaccomodate.
And no one would be forcing you to - if you didn't want to swap, then you wouldn't ; seems to be trying to find something to complain about

If the person had just been moved without asking, can see how that would be annoying , but this isn't close to being the case

I still believe that there are plenty of people who would not care about switching and would agree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.